• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (09/02/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Italy.png
VS
Wales.png

Stadio Olimpico
16:45, 09/02/2019

Well aware that it could be both a huge gamble and maybe deemed as disrespectful but I would be looking to make quite a lot of changes for this one. We've talked about bringing in Wainwright and Young on a separate thread (resting Tipuric & Navidi/Moriarty) I'd also give the Sherriff and Alan Wyn the week off with Dee and Hill to step up. I'd actually stick with the starting halfbacks against France, give Owen Watkin a start and give Holmes a berth on the bench.

With Welsh depth a full second string side could comfortably defeat Italy on their average day the way the way they have been playing. I'm praying for a performance like Australia away, or even the win against Fiji. Things looked so promising back then. I'd give my right arm for a team selection that is near best available and with players in their main position. Make it so!

I thought Owens looked a but tired on Friday so give him a rest. Dee the obvious replacement.

AWJ is so important to us so rest him. Seb Davies in with Hill for me.

Maybe try Navidi at 8. Id be happy to use Young as I think he should have been in the squad 3 years ago but its at 8 we need to sort something. Big ask to go 1 on 1 with the legend that is Parisse but will show if he can be a test 8.

Watkin to start. For the love of god no Parkes.

Amos to be given a run? Maybe even at 13?

Give Tomos Williams a half to boost his confidence and get another start under his belt.

Tebaldi has left the team to solve is back problems, so we'll still have a lot of problems at scrum-half, with Gori called to be Palazzani's backup. He played very rarely and pretty bad for Treviso this year, so I don't feel very good about it.
I would like to see COS playing some in-form guys that played well from the bench against Scotland and change completely the lineup from 11 to 14, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Padovani-Morisi-Campagnaro-Sperandio would be my choice but I'm pretty sure there's no way to avoid Castello and Esposito. And Ruzza for Budd, I think we should try him together with Sisi, who was ok in his debut.
Regardless of the lineup it's difficult to imagine anything different from an easy welsh win, just too much difference between the two sides. Hoping for Wales to come to Rome with their heads already on the clash against England and for the Azzurri to play their best game in years, so that we can actually have a game to watch.

Tebaldi has left the team to solve is back problems, so we'll still have a lot of problems at scrum-half, with Gori called to be Palazzani's backup. He played very rarely and pretty bad for Treviso this year, so I don't feel very good about it.
I would like to see COS playing some in-form guys that played well from the bench against Scotland and change completely the lineup from 11 to 14, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Padovani-Morisi-Campagnaro-Sperandio would be my choice but I'm pretty sure there's no way to avoid Castello and Esposito. And Ruzza for Budd, I think we should try him together with Sisi, who was ok in his debut.
Regardless of the lineup it's difficult to imagine anything different from an easy welsh win, just too much difference between the two sides. Hoping for Wales to come to Rome with their heads already on the clash against England and for the Azzurri to play their best game in years, so that we can actually have a game to watch.

Nice to see an italian perspective mate.

I think Wales have learnt their lesson in Rome previously so cant see them looking past the game. There are enough positions up for grabs for England to give some real hunger to the team.

Oshea has done a great job restructuring the grass roots but he needs to take a leaf out of the pro 14 teams books and do what they have done to the welsh club sides this year. They need to be a bit like Argentina and use the same style and game plan as the club team due to the limited depth. They do that effectively and there will ne a few upsets on the next few years.

I thought Owens looked a but tired on Friday so give him a rest. Dee the obvious replacement.

Maybe try Navidi at 8. Id be happy to use Young as I think he should have been in the squad 3 years ago but its at 8 we need to sort something. Big ask to go 1 on 1 with the legend that is Parisse but will show if he can be a test 8.

Give Tomos Williams a half to boost his confidence and get another start under his belt.

Yeah, forgot about Amos... was a big fan of his before is injury lay off. He still hasn't regained his absolute best form but his versatility (11, 13, 14 & 15) could be key. If his form is good I could see Gats selecting him in 'big' match day 23's (like World Cup knock out stage big).

Nice to see an italian perspective mate.

I think Wales have learnt their lesson in Rome previously so cant see them looking past the game. There are enough positions up for grabs for England to give some real hunger to the team.

Oshea has done a great job restructuring the grass roots but he needs to take a leaf out of the pro 14 teams books and do what they have done to the welsh club sides this year. They need to be a bit like Argentina and use the same style and game plan as the club team due to the limited depth. They do that effectively and there will ne a few upsets on the next few years.
Thanks! I agree with you on Wales but one can still hope, right? :p

I think O'Shea is trying to somehow have Italy replicate Benetton's performances but the main problem imho is very simple: the majority of Benetton's key players are not italian. Monty Ioane has been amazing for Benetton and not just as a try scorer, he's been great on defense and at putting pressure on the opposition after a kick as well, something we struggled a lot against Scotland. Same thing can be said for Tavuyara, the other winger. And having them instead of Esposito or Benvenuti or somebody similar (since Sarto and Bellini are both unavailable) is a huge difference. Same thing at scrum-half, where Duvenage has been a difference-maker so far and Tebaldi was playing his best rugby in years. Palazzani and Gori (with both Violi and Tebaldi out) are not close to that level. You would like to rely on some help from Zebre to fill the gaps but they also had some key injuries (Violi and Bellini, like I said, and Minozzi).
The sad truth is that we improved a little bit but we are still not even close to have the depth that is requested to compete at this level, especially in some key-roles. There are some promising young guys coming up but they are still years away, not months. It's a long and difficult process but the press and the fans dont' have patience and they are starting to really question O'Shea because of the lack of results. I can hardly blame them but at the same time I'm sure that re-starting again with a new DOR will be a disaster.

Well aware that it could be both a huge gamble and maybe deemed as disrespectful but I would be looking to make quite a lot of changes for this one. We've talked about bringing in Wainwright and Young on a separate thread (resting Tipuric & Navidi/Moriarty) I'd also give the Sherriff and Alan Wyn the week off with Dee and Hill to step up. I'd actually stick with the starting halfbacks against France, give Owen Watkin a start and give Holmes a berth on the bench.

I wouldn't go with too many changes AWJ, Tips, Owens JD North, but not more.

You asked me in another thread what does a number change to the back row do, when I said I would put Navidi at 8 and Moriarty at 6, my reasoning is that when Tips or Ross come off a defending scrum and make the tackle Navidi could peel off quicker to support the tackle area, this would also apply in the breakdown, which was not one of our stronger points against France. Also My opinion is that a number 8 is not just about bish bosh but, must read the game the best 8s do this and not so much of the bosh, Mervin Davies, Gary Ticheman, Zinzan Brook, where all class players we have one in Faletau, I also think a 7 makes a better 8 than a 6.
Of course this is only my opinion feel free to take it apart.:)

Thanks! I agree with you on Wales but one can still hope, right? :p

I think O'Shea is trying to somehow have Italy replicate Benetton's performances but the main problem imho is very simple: the majority of Benetton's key players are not italian. Monty Ioane has been amazing for Benetton and not just as a try scorer, he's been great on defense and at putting pressure on the opposition after a kick as well, something we struggled a lot against Scotland. Same thing can be said for Tavuyara, the other winger. And having them instead of Esposito or Benvenuti or somebody similar (since Sarto and Bellini are both unavailable) is a huge difference. Same thing at scrum-half, where Duvenage has been a difference-maker so far and Tebaldi was playing his best rugby in years. Palazzani and Gori (with both Violi and Tebaldi out) are not close to that level. You would like to rely on some help from Zebre to fill the gaps but they also had some key injuries (Violi and Bellini, like I said, and Minozzi).
The sad truth is that we improved a little bit but we are still not even close to have the depth that is requested to compete at this level, especially in some key-roles. There are some promising young guys coming up but they are still years away, not months. It's a long and difficult process but the press and the fans dont' have patience and they are starting to really question O'Shea because of the lack of results. I can hardly blame them but at the same time I'm sure that re-starting again with a new DOR will be a disaster.

Hi - this is slightly off topic, but I am going to see the game in Rome.

If you don't live in Rome, then I'm sorry - but do you know whether they will be showing the earlier game on the screen in the stadium before the Wales game? Or do you know of anywhere near the Stadio Olimpico where they would be showing the earlier game?

I know there are a couple of bars in central Rome that will show the rugby, but we will not have time to watch the first game and get to the ground in time for kick-off.

Cheers in advance!

Hi - this is slightly off topic, but I am going to see the game in Rome.

If you don't live in Rome, then I'm sorry - but do you know whether they will be showing the earlier game on the screen in the stadium before the Wales game? Or do you know of anywhere near the Stadio Olimpico where they would be showing the earlier game?

I know there are a couple of bars in central Rome that will show the rugby, but we will not have time to watch the first game and get to the ground in time for kick-off.

Cheers in advance!
Sorry but I don't live in Rome so I'm not able to help you. The only thing I can do is to wish you good luck and enjoy the game!

Italy have potential and at club level have beaten a fair few Welsh sides over the last two seasons, so I'd be very weary about making too many changes.

Welsh side announced - 10 changes:

Wales: Liam Williams; Jonah Holmes, Jonathan Davies (capt), Owen Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Aled Davies; Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Thomas Young, Josh Navidi.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Alun Wyn Jones, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Hallam Amos.

A risk, but still a very exciting team. That backrow is very mobile and could cause Italy all sorts of problems.

Welsh side announced - 10 changes:

Wales: Liam Williams; Jonah Holmes, Jonathan Davies (capt), Owen Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Aled Davies; Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Thomas Young, Josh Navidi.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Alun Wyn Jones, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Hallam Amos.

A risk, but still a very exciting team. That backrow is very mobile and could cause Italy all sorts of problems.

It is a gamble but it 'should' be good enough for a bp win... excited to see Ball back, Young and Wainwright in the back row and Holmes on the wing.

It is a gamble but it 'should' be good enough for a bp win... excited to see Ball back, Young and Wainwright in the back row and Holmes on the wing.
yea the BR is a problem with so many injuries , I know they want to get as many players up to speed but, to go for so many I hope it doesn't come back to bit us, I can see Nivadi at 8 and Moriarty replacing him for the last 30

It's very similar to the team that beat Tonga in the Autumn, though probably a bit stronger and more experienced overall. Looking forward to seeing how it does!

Latest posts