• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (09/02/2019)

Not a good performance , losing the contact as well a bit concerning

Are we? Didn't think we were losing the contact. Lineout has hurt us and some poor attacking decisions when we were in good areas.

With the obvious exception of not having scored any tries, I'm not particularly concerned. I think we are softening them up and we should get a few 5/7 pointers in the second half when our fitness tells. Saying that I was expecting at least one Welsh try during the first half.

I think Wales are being too conservative. Yes Italy got the try, but I still think Wales should be going for the bonus point. Maybe Gatland did get the selection wrong and was too complacent.

Again purely as an England fan, it would leave Wales going into the break after two poor performances, which should benefit us.

Fair enough.
They weren't looking that threatening at the time to be fair!

Good half for Italy in the end though. Hints of Wales being a bit complacent at times, like Biggar's cross kick. Think they'll come out strong in the second half I reckon though

With the obvious exception of not having scored any tries, I'm not particularly concerned. I think we are softening them up and we should get a fey 5/7 pointers in the second half when our fitness tells. Saying that I was expecting at least one Welsh try during 5he first half.
4 tries in 40 minutes is a big ask, especially with Italy very much in touch, they're not going to stop trying quickly

Italy were good value for that try , score is about right I'd say. Personally I would of liked us to have gone for the jugular with those penalties maybe 2 of the 4 instead of taking the easy 3 points. Realistically we need a bonus point and that is not the way we have gone about things. Not impressed so far hopefully things change for the better in the 2nd , on a positive note young is having a good game , navidi is not as prominent at 8 , personally I'd put Moriarty at 8 and navidi at 6 . Watkin is having a decent game too

I think Wales are being too conservative. Yes Italy got the try, but I still think Wales should be going for the bonus point. Maybe Gatland did get the selection wrong and was too complacent.

Again purely as an England fan, it would leave Wales going into the break after two poor performances, which should benefit us.

I honestly think the selection was made (leaving AWJ and the Sheriff out) to give the other boys the experience of having to take on the leadership responsibilities in case those players are missing through injury for the bigger games to come during 2019.

Obvs, having scored no tries against Italy at half time (even in Rome) is not ideal but its during 5hese experiences that players develop most.

I honestly think the selection was made (leaving AWJ and the Sheriff out) to give the other boys the experience of having to take on the leadership responsibilities in case those players are missing through injury for the bigger games to come during 2019.

Obvs, having scored no tries against Italy at half time (even in Rome) is not ideal but its during 5hese experiences that players develop most.

True, but then the question is are you looking to win the 6N's or prepare for the world cup. I think you need to do both, likely Daly at FB. However this scoreline suggests Gats got it wrong. I still think Wales can get the BP, but they've made it a lot harder and if they don't now it's a big psychological blow.

That PaddyPower advert with Rodri Giggs is hilarious!

True, but then the question is are you looking to win the 6N's or prepare for the world cup. I think you need to do both, likely Daly at FB. However this scoreline suggests Gats got it wrong. I still think Wales can get the BP, but they've made it a lot harder and if they don't now it's a big psychological blow.

Definitely! Wales needed... and still need to target a bo here.

I may re-evaluate giving Biggar the benefit of the doubt as an attacking force if they don't start breaking down this defence soon. Hard to imagine a tryless Welsh first half with Patchell.

... starting to get a little frustrated now if I'm honest!

Latest posts