• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (09/02/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Scotland.png
VS
Ireland.png

Murrayfield Stadium
14:15, 09/02/2019

With the confidence quoted in the media by the Scots, I now think Ireland will win with a bonus point.

With the confidence quoted in the media by the Scots, I now think Ireland will win with a bonus point.

I haven't seen any of the Scottish media... are they really going there o_O

I think Ireland's loss will not have a positive effect on them. I dont think it'll spur them on. The 6N has gone. They are ex-champions with only elimination in pool A at the hands of Japan to look forward to for 2019. Last year or the year before I'd have fancied Scotland for this in the circumstances, but not now as:

- Townsend is going is strange directions. I don't know who he'll pick at 12.
- Seymour and Huw were almost world class at times in the past 18 montha, now they are more subdued. Kinghorn is blossoming though which is a bonus for a side starved of options at wing.
- Laidlaw does not play to the strengths of the Scottish backs (although he has been adapting well and quickening his pace). Scotland should be trying to play at light speed with Horne or Price at 9 to defeat a team with a stronger pack and well marshalled defence.
- Italy were pretty abject last week. Scotland might not come into this battle hardened.

Jamie Ritchie and Stuart Hogg have both been quoted saying things that you'd think should be beaten out of them by media training. Nothing wrong with youthful exuberance, but it feels like the Scots can be motivational speakers for the opposition half the time. The media in contrast is being pretty measured up here, anticipating the Irish backlash that I dont think we will see.

I'm thinking something like Ireland by 10, but Schmidt not gambling on the BP Ireland need to realistically stay in the tournament.

Jamie Ritchie and Stuart Hogg have both been quoted saying things that you'd think should be beaten out of them by media training. Nothing wrong with youthful exuberance, but it feels like the Scots can be motivational speakers for the opposition half the time. The media in contrast is being pretty measured up here, anticipating the Irish backlash that I dont think we will see.
I don't know exactly what was said, but I don't think any team is really motivated by what the oppo havecsaid in the press.

Just that Scotland are the bees knees and can win the competition. Nothing spiteful, of against the opposition.

I don't think it's particularly bad what's been said. Various outlets have run with "Hogg says Scotland can/will win the 6 Nations". All I've read from players is the usual - we think can win, we've been improving, we know there's still a lot to do etc.

If the players came out saying "Win the 6N? Aye right, we couldn't beat a bunch of schoolboys away from home." It's not going to do them any good and ultimately won't help ticket sales. Though I do understand the argument of - if England said the same it would be called arrogance. I think for Scotland most of the 6N history they've been poor, Murrayfield used to look like Stade de France did on Friday night, empty in places (some autumn tests they didn't open the entire stadium). The public and fans just expected them to be humped, now they're selling out every home game and not just 6N.

It's what people want to hear - I too agree that it'll have little effect on the opposition.

I'm thinking something like Ireland by 10, but Schmidt not gambling on the BP Ireland need to realistically stay in the tournament.
Agreed. I can see a similar outcome to Scotland v South Africa in the AI's with Ireland overpowering Scotland and keeping them at arm's length to close out the win.

If Laidlaw wasn't as reliable from the tee I don't think he'd be starting. While not as dynamic as Price and Horne he does seem to cope well in pressure situations in terms of goal kicking and game management. He also brings leadership to a side that is not overfurnished with natural leaders.

Yeah I'm sure a comment like that has no bearing and whilst they still have a chance its absolutely fair for them to say that.

2 years ago when Hogg said England showed them no respect travelling to Twickenham (after the SRU decided not to display our flag at Murrayfield), I'm sure that was used to rile up the boys "We'll show them respect don't let up for the 80mins don't let them even get a sniff of winning they'll see us at our most respectful by playing the best we possibly can." 61-21

So yeah I do think comments like that can intensify an opponents resolve but only if directed at the opponent.

this is a difficult one either or for me.

There are a lot of variables to consider, you have to think that a team of Ireland's caliber will get the wagon back on the road... but Murrayfield has become one of the hardest places to go these days... the game of the weekend no doubt!

Ireland are still the no.2 side in the world and two years ago Scotland relied on ***anic performances from J Gray, Barclay and Hamish Watson. All three are missing and Sexton (who was missing two years ago) is back in place of Paddy Jackson. I will be pleasantly amazed if Scotland can come away with a win on Saturday given the circumstances.

Sounds like an absolute non-story. Do we expect him not to publically back his team to be capable of winning the tournament?!

Ireland are still the no.2 side in the world and two years ago Scotland relied on ***anic performances from J Gray, Barclay and Hamish Watson. All three are missing and Sexton (who was missing two years ago) is back in place of Paddy Jackson. I will be pleasantly amazed if Scotland can come away with a win on Saturday given the circumstances.

The Irish got some big performers out mind... loving how there is at least 1 ***anic battle each round. England vs Ireland round 1, this round 2, Wales vs England & Scotland vs Wales round 3 & 4 and then two massive British and Irish matches on the last weekend!

Latest posts