• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (09/02/2019)

Defending the booing of a kick? First Nation to do this, this current 6N.
Not sure what you mean, no one is defending a boo of a kick. Again I apologies if I have the wrong moment of the game, it's similar to playing - that's why you watch it back, you don't see as much watching from home. But I would imagine any boos were for the decision before - not the kick, but no I'm not defending anything.

So were Ireland not long ago... You couldn't string any wins together to save yourselves. Granted, an example of how to structure and nurture talent etc.. Seriously though - take a look at the game today and ask yourself. Good performance or lucky one? And consider some of the ref decisions and their timings leading up to your tries. If I was Ireland and after your embarrassment last week at the hands of England, take time to recognise a few areas of concern... Not the invincible team that everyone was talking about being a World Cup Winner. But hey... I love a Celtic side to win. But the Irish in the pub today started a fight (all about your beloved Sexton). A glass injury later to a bystander and an arrest and I can't help notice the relations are getting less friendly. Where is the Irish charm and fun loving attitude. You'll understand if my anger in the messaging is clearly present as my friend was the innocent bystander and she is very shaken. Enjoy your moment. Still think you were just lucky, not a deserved win... And given the atmosphere in the pub, the stadium and even the commentary box, most people were disappointed in such a flat second half when the first promised so much...

I might also add then. If Scotland are such a poor team and agreed we haven't won the Six Nations (last success was the very final 5 Nations ever played) then surely Ireland should have found this an easy game given your jib. Obviously so poor in your eyes!!!. Let's not forget the last World Cup, where Scotland should have been in the semi-finals had it not been for another French Referee who made a bad call. (Which was acknowledged by the WRF as wrong... not real consolation to the Scots fans). I truly believe Ireland are a great side and have a great coach. You don't know defeat all that well. Makes me laugh when I hear England targeting our match at Twickenham as well. Funny we haven't won there since the 1980's, but one defeat by us and the English believe it is the worst thing ever. (Perspective anyone!!!). Scotland have a team growing in confidence and I expect a few upsets in years to come. So Tigs Man - let's see.....

Are you having a laugh. Not a great performance by anyone really. Good first half followed by a shocking second. Moving forward, both teams need to look long and hard at themselves. Ireland 2nd best team in the World, didn't play like it today, so stop flattering a pretty standard performance.
Just because it wasn't an exciting half doesn't mean people that didn't play well.

And to be honest I'm delighted to come away from Murrayfield, which has become a really hard place to go, with a decent win. I was pretty happy with the performance given the conditions. I honestly don't know why a summary of how I thought my team's players played has made you so angry.

Last edited:
Because of the ref!!! Not down to great play by the Irish. The ref allowed Ireland to gain so many yards and the commentary box acknowledged a number of penalties that weren't and they acknowledged the penalty advantage that went on for a lifetime that simply was wrong. Second half try by Ireland should never have been if you track it back to poor ref decision making

Again - Yes handling errors, but all started from around the 50th minute with crap decisions by the ref. Scotland got frustrated, Ireland scored a try from ref penalties when Scotland should have had the ball. Ireland were lucky in this game and I hope they run out of luck soon. Great team, great coach, but seriously starting to get a bit boring to watch and they did nothing really to win this game but simply had a few lucky calls go their way that stopped the Scottish momentum.
Scotland play s#$t in second half and its all refs fault .LOL are you infact Greg Laidlaw.
Play well don't make mistakes then look at ref .Advantage is as short or long as ref want s,no defined time by World rugby you me or BBC pundits .Grow up.

So were Ireland not long ago... You couldn't string any wins together to save yourselves. Granted, an example of how to structure and nurture talent etc.. Seriously though - take a look at the game today and ask yourself. Good performance or lucky one? And consider some of the ref decisions and their timings leading up to your tries. If I was Ireland and after your embarrassment last week at the hands of England, take time to recognise a few areas of concern... Not the invincible team that everyone was talking about being a World Cup Winner. But hey... I love a Celtic side to win. But the Irish in the pub today started a fight (all about your beloved Sexton). A glass injury later to a bystander and an arrest and I can't help notice the relations are getting less friendly. Where is the Irish charm and fun loving attitude. You'll understand if my anger in the messaging is clearly present as my friend was the innocent bystander and she is very shaken. Enjoy your moment. Still think you were just lucky, not a deserved win... And given the atmosphere in the pub, the stadium and even the commentary box, most people were disappointed in such a flat second half when the first promised so much...

I might also add then. If Scotland are such a poor team and agreed we haven't won the Six Nations (last success was the very final 5 Nations ever played) then surely Ireland should have found this an easy game given your jib. Obviously so poor in your eyes!!!. Let's not forget the last World Cup, where Scotland should have been in the semi-finals had it not been for another French Referee who made a bad call. (Which was acknowledged by the WRF as wrong... not real consolation to the Scots fans). I truly believe Ireland are a great side and have a great coach. You don't know defeat all that well. Makes me laugh when I hear England targeting our match at Twickenham as well. Funny we haven't won there since the 1980's, but one defeat by us and the English believe it is the worst thing ever. (Perspective anyone!!!). Scotland have a team growing in confidence and I expect a few upsets in years to come. So Tigs Man - let's see.....
Just because it wasn't an exciting half doesn't mean people that didn't play well.

But there wasn't really any standout performances in the second half. You didn't need to. (The ref played the game for you). Seriously though and not to blame the ref for everything - agreed - some great defensive work, but I am struggling other than a better than expected Carbery to find a second half performance that stands out...

Not really.

England smashed the confidence right out of Ireland last week, today was always the potential of a banana skin for Ireland away from home.
Ireland will be pleased they got their win, losing back to back is never good regardless the teams, Scotland though should've won and didn't. You can blame the ref all you want (It's easy for me to say this as I always respect the ref calls) BUT Ireland was easily the dominate team, Scotland look good especially when they got Kinghorn in BUT Ireland outmuscled you.

It wasn't pretty and it wasn't great but Scotland can't blame the ref for this lost, it was on the plate for them and they bottled it.
Scotland will gain no confidence from this game, it was a home game they should've targeted after last week and with the injuries Ireland had, and if they weren't targeting it then they need a coach with more ambition.

Like WTF was Kinghorn on the bench!!!!! Townsend played a team to try and contain Ireland and not get trashed IMO.

Bring up 2011 all you want it has nothing to do with this game.

Scotland play s#$t in second half and its all refs fault .LOL are you infact Greg Laidlaw.
Play well don't make mistakes then look at ref .Advantage is as short or long as ref want s,no defined time by World rugby you me or BBC pundits .Grow up.

Easy to say. But given it was a talking point long after the match and the fact the ref made so many poor decisions and also a big talking point, am I wrong in thinking the ref may have had a nightmare today!!! Yes the ref's decisions are final - but doesn't mean they are correct. Look at the Scots World Cup referee decision in the quarter final against Australia. Acknowledged by the WRF as the wrong decision and cost Scotland a place in the Semi Finals. You'll forgive me if I have a thing for poor refereeing...!!! ;)

**** me, he's starting to repeat himself...right a few facts.

Was the ref perfect...no.
Did Ireland deserve to win...yes.
Did Scotland play badly...yes.

Your implication is that the ref was so biased he clearly swung the match. This is ridiculous. Congrats you can go back to one single game to highlight a mistake. Doesn't change the fact that Scotland made their same old mistakes and showed that they haven't got the depth to be potential champions.

Are you having a laugh. Not a great performance by anyone really. Good first half followed by a shocking second. Moving forward, both teams need to look long and hard at themselves. Ireland 2nd best team in the World, didn't play like it today, so stop flattering a pretty standard performance.

Not really.

England smashed the confidence right out of Ireland last week, today was always the potential of a banana skin for Ireland away from home.
Ireland will be pleased they got their win, losing back to back is never good regardless the teams, Scotland though should've won and didn't. You can blame the ref all you want (It's easy for me to say this as I always respect the ref calls) BUT Ireland was easily the dominate team, Scotland look good especially when they got Kinghorn in BUT Ireland outmuscled you.

It wasn't pretty and it wasn't great but Scotland can't blame the ref for this lost, it was on the plate for them and they bottled it.
Scotland will gain no confidence from this game, it was a home game they should've targeted after last week and with the injuries Ireland had, and if they weren't targeting it then they need a coach with more ambition.

Like WTF was Kinghorn on the bench!!!!! Townsend played a team to try and contain Ireland and not get trashed IMO.

Bring up 2011 all you want it has nothing to do with this game.

Makes me laugh when I hear England smashed the confidence out of you. It's the first loss you've had for ages. You are used to winning. Come and sit on the Scottish fans side for a while. Then you'll know a lack of confidence. And I didn't believe you were dominant today. Not in the first half. Second perhaps, but we were never in the game. Agree Scotland should have been and need to be better. And also agree - Kinghorn full of confidence and should have started. AND don't tell me what I can and can't reference in terms of bad referee decisions. The 2011 WC QF game still stings for all Scots. And when I see poor referee decisions now, I feel entitled to... Enjoy your win and see you in Japan. Ireland should win given the team, depth of squad and structure, but a Scots won't be a push over... so let's see...

Makes me laugh when I hear England smashed the confidence out of you. It's the first loss you've had for ages. You are used to winning. Come and sit on the Scottish fans side for a while. Then you'll know a lack of confidence. And I didn't believe you were dominant today. Not in the first half. Second perhaps, but we were never in the game. Agree Scotland should have been and need to be better. And also agree - Kinghorn full of confidence and should have started. AND don't tell me what I can and can't reference in terms of bad referee decisions. The 2011 WC QF game still stings for all Scots. And when I see poor referee decisions now, I feel entitled to... Enjoy your win and see you in Japan. Ireland should win given the team, depth of squad and structure, but a Scots won't be a push over... so let's see...
You do know that Tigs isn't Irish, right?

**** me, he's starting to repeat himself...right a few facts.

Was the ref perfect...no.
Did Ireland deserve to win...yes.
Did Scotland play badly...yes.

Your implication is that the ref was so biased he clearly swung the match. This is ridiculous. Congrats you can go back to one single game to highlight a mistake. Doesn't change the fact that Scotland made their same old mistakes and showed that they haven't got the depth to be potential champions.

Agreed on the depth. We weren't far off today though. And how about you learn how to 'write' properly. The winning side never has an issue with the ref. They always think they deserved it. I didn't see anything of the Ireland that beat New Zealand today. I think it was pretty close. But the second half was one of the dullest matches I've seen for ages. Made worse by a thrilling first half. But hey.... had enough ranting. Enjoy your win. On to the next matches... Will be great to see how both teams progress beyond this....

I'm not fecking IRISH.

I didn't say you couldn't bring up 2011, I just said it has no relevancy to this game, other than trying to create a victim complex.
THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO GO BACK 4 FRICKIN YEARS TO FIND A EXAMPLE THE REF COST THE GAME FOR YOU, suggests you don't have it that bad....

I'm going to Japan so should be fun though, bet your great at the bar after the game!!

Mate what's the point of posting. There is a difference between saying the ref made mistakes and that he gave a team the win. This is nothing like Australia. Yes Ireland didn't play their best, but they stuck to their tactics that have won them games. Scotland tried to disrupt them in their own way, like England did, but couldn't pull it off consistently. They are still too reliant on their backs producing something from nothing. I said it earlier after one big Scotland attack, they were aimless. The forwards didn't carry with enough variety to force the Irish forwards to commit to the breakdown and when they went wide, Ireland had it well covered. Scotland's only try came from an intercept, which while shows players can read the play, is not a viable tactic to win. Scotland cannot execute their game plan consistently with their current players and are reliant on chaotic ball and backs producing miracle moments. When it works as it did last year against England it looks fantastic, however when it doesn't it looks like this.

Btw...does Zander mean 2011 or 2015, because Scotland didn't reach the 2011 Quarter Finals. Only game that year to be screwed by a ref was Warburton getting red carded. If anything he should be posting on the Welsh thread.

Poite makes errors, but why would the French union help the Irish? As compensation for beating them to the 2023 RWC? We are getting deep into tin foil that territory!

I'd probably have preferred a Scottish victory but I've no complaints about bias from the refs and dont think ref decisions were decisive in the result.

I'm not fecking IRISH.

I didn't say you couldn't bring up 2011, I just said it has no relevancy to this game, other than trying to create a victim complex.
THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO GO BACK 4 FRICKIN YEARS TO FIND A EXAMPLE THE REF COST THE GAME FOR YOU, suggests you don't have it that bad....

I'm going to Japan so should be fun though, bet your great at the bar after the game!!

Sorry Tigs Man - too busy ranting.
Look - all good and actually despite my friend getting a nasty cut today from some flying glass from a fight that broke out (we weren't even that close) it was great fun.
As usual, Scots just party on despite the defeat. Actually hadn't even mentioned the game till I logged on.
Enjoy Japan. Looking forward to it

Few small points:

1) Joubert is South African, so Scotland weren't robbed by a french referee at the lazy World Cup.

2) the hit on Hogg looked pretty cynical and just irritated that it'll mean we are stuck with Mairland and Seymour at wing, as opposed to kinghorn

3) again Scotland didn't manage the ref well at all. We need a captain who will engage with the referee and subtly influence like the great captains do. Greg isn't the man for that.

4) the Irish defence when Scotland were knocking on the door was ferocious, reminded me of Glasgow a couple of years ago.

5) slow ball from the ruck is killing our ability in the back line. Without Watson and Barclay to secure that quick ball, and Greg insisting on looking half a dozen times before he passes just means we end up having Finn unable to work in the space he works best in.

6) we need a better prop than Dell. It's unfortunate that Schoemann won't wualify for a couple of years.

Overall a good day out and ended up having a proper rugby discussion. I'd you had to pick 1 10, out of Wilkinson and Carter, to win you a one-off game where all other players are evenly matched, who do you pick?

Easy to say. But given it was a talking point long after the match and the fact the ref made so many poor decisions and also a big talking point, am I wrong in thinking the ref may have had a nightmare today!!! Yes the ref's decisions are final - but doesn't mean they are correct. Look at the Scots World Cup referee decision in the quarter final against Australia. Acknowledged by the WRF as the wrong decision and cost Scotland a place in the Semi Finals. You'll forgive me if I have a thing for poor refereeing...!!! ;)
So what facts the ref made poor decisions??
Line them up and all can discuss.
1.No time limit on advantage end of chat you disagree or agree but there is not right or wrong.
Next one please from this match not Any Other old one.

Latest posts