• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (09/02/2019)

Squidge rubgy analysis of the game. Describing POM's play as "invisible bastardry" :D

Squidge rubgy analysis of the game. Describing POM's play as "invisible bastardry" :D

It'll stop when they start dishing out retrospective bans for 'deliberate/late/reckless/cynical' challenges, especially those that result in injury. Very difficult to prove intent however. Fair enough targeting key players with hard but fair play. When it results in injury it's a different kettle of fish IMO. Liam Williams might be thinking he's next on the POM hit list.

That's punishing based on outcome though...

Fair point. I don't propose to have the answer but the relevance here is the suspected intent to injure or do harm to an opponent in order to gain an advantage and so there is a connection. It is unrealistic to retrospectively punish all the near misses. I do think discrete or subtle targeting of key players with an intent to do harm needs to be looked at though.

Fair point. I don't propose to have the answer but the relevance here is the suspected intent to injure or do harm to an opponent in order to gain an advantage and so there is a connection. It is unrealistic to retrospectively punish all the near misses. I do think discrete or subtle targeting of key players with an intent to do harm needs to be looked at though.

I find it hard to believe that Peter O'Mahony (or literally anyone) could have actively decided to injure Hogg in the fraction of a second he had after Hogg kicked. Simply not enough time to make that decision. And as you say it's nearly impossible to prove intent.

Thing is it was nothing more than a small block, at most. You rush out bans for that, you've got to rush out bans to everyone who has ever waited a fraction too long before pulling out or held a defender in a ruck for a few seconds. Pretty soon Ireland would have no players, and some of the other teams would be missing a couple too.

I find it hard to believe that Peter O'Mahony (or literally anyone) could have actively decided to injure Hogg in the fraction of a second he had after Hogg kicked. Simply not enough time to make that decision. And as you say it's nearly impossible to prove intent.

That is fair if there was no pre-meditated plan to crock Hogg or another key player. If there was a plan then nailing him with a seemingly late hit after a kick would have been the perfect time to do it in what was a must win game for Ireland up against a side more than capable of winning if all their key players played to their max. We will most likely never know the intent aspect but it's a hard one to swallow especially given that he's now out for the rest of the season. I have watched the replay several times and POM clearly goes down low and drops the shoulder with a view to delivering a hit capable of doing damage after the ball has gone. It's reckless at best. The commentator in the video called it invisible bastardry. Anyway, we move on.

To show my objectivity I hated that Hogg was covering his face even though it was his shoulder that was hurt. Maybe he's been watching too much footballer theatrics but there was no need for that.

Last edited:
That is fair if there was no pre-meditated plan to crock Hogg or another key player. If there was a plan then nailing him with a seemingly late hit after a kick would have been the perfect time to do it in what was a must win game for Ireland up against a side more than capable of winning if all their key players played to their max. We will most likely never know the intent aspect but it's a hard one to swallow especially given that he's now out for the rest of the season. I have watched the replay several times and POM clearly goes down low and drops the shoulder with a view to delivering a hit capable of doing damage after the ball has gone. It's reckless at best. The commentator in the video called it invisible bastardry. Anyway, we move on.

To show my objectivity I hated that Hogg was covering his face even though it was his shoulder that was hurt. Maybe he's been watching too much footballer theatrics but there was no need for that.
I'd say something if was even the hit injured him. It was the fact Hogg was off balance and the injury was simply down to being unlucky in his landing.

And I'll be straight up on this bit noone really has any sympathy for Scotland as they are worldwide known as a strange culture who boo everything and everyone. And are seen in the world game as whingers. And well this is just adding consistently with that persona.

I'd say something if he was milled in a hit or something. He was barely touched. At worst case it would've been a pen. But the injury came from awkward landing.

Hogg out and Halfpenny back, what a terrible 24hrs for fullback entertainment in the 6N :p. Kinghorn pretty darn entertaining too though, so not all is lost for neutrals.

Huw out for rest of 6N too. Why did Italy have to face them before these injuries? France to soar to fourth!

I'd say something if was even the hit injured him. It was the fact Hogg was off balance and the injury was simply down to being unlucky in his landing.

And I'll be straight up on this bit noone really has any sympathy for Scotland as they are worldwide known as a strange culture who boo everything and everyone. And are seen in the world game as whingers. And well this is just adding consistently with that persona.

I'd say something if he was milled in a hit or something. He was barely touched. At worst case it would've been a pen. But the injury came from awkward landing.

The root cause of the awkward landing was an illegal late non wrapped arms tackle on a player who didn't have the ball. I accept the result but think it's fair to reflect on this incident as key in the context of the match.

Dunno why you strayed off and brought Scotland as a whole and the Murrayfield crowd into it. My post related solely to this incident which is relevant to this match thread. For the record I wasnt booing or whinging while I was typing or reading your post.

Last edited:
Thing is it was nothing more than a small block, at most. You rush out bans for that, you've got to rush out bans to everyone who has ever waited a fraction too long before pulling out or held a defender in a ruck for a few seconds. Pretty soon Ireland would have no players, and some of the other teams would be missing a couple too.

And Courtney Lawes would be banned forever for nearly literally knocking Jule Plisson's head off. Which was entirely accidental I'm sure.

This needs to end now. Only England players get penalised for marginally late hits.

Case and Point, Curry Vs Ireland.

The root cause of the awkward landing was an illegal late non wrapped arms tackle on a player who didn't have the ball. I accept the result but think it's fair to reflect on this incident as key in the context of the match.

Dunno why you strayed off and brought Scotland as a whole and the Murrayfield crowd into it. My post related solely to this incident which is relevant to this match thread. For the record I wasnt booing or whinging while I was typing or reading your post.
But equally if incident happened and Hogg wasn't injured then it wouldn't even be a point.
And never said you just pointed on reputation Scotland rugby as a whole at club and international level has and the reaction overall on this being same.

Why do you think TMO, citing commisioners and rest didn't act. Not 1 of them

Nationality and race have sweet fa to do with each other lad. The joke I made was discriminatory and xenophobic at worse, a harmless slagging in reality!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/preciousness
I reckon to find offence at my joke you'd want to think you're very valuable! ;)
Sorry lad I've not been on the forum for a while.Regarding your response regarding racism.I thought I would clarify it for you.Racism is regarding anyone who is a different colour ,nationality or ethnicity as inferior to you.I am finished with this conversation as I do not like playing humour the half wit.As to preciousness being a word ,I do apologise but I must assume that it's a word that you are familiar with.
Don't message again with silly little links you silly little man get a life:)

Latest posts