• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (09/02/2019)

I probably wouldn't have it as first choice but POM SOB and Conan is a backrow I've wanted to see us try for ages.

Scotland missing too many big names in the pack (Gray*2, Watson, Nel, Barclay) for this to be competitive over the piece. Ireland by 15 with at least one intercept try after Finn tries a hero pass in his own half

Ugh. Not looking forward to this.

We're gonna be subtle as a brick in midfield.

It's amazing Aki-Henshaw is considered uninspiring these days after so many people were so excited for it when they played together with Connacht.

Apparently Tom Farrell may make the bench if Chris is in for Henshaw bit strange presuming Addison and Larmour are available.

I'm about as nervous for this one as I was for England last week (pretty damn nervous). But the difference here is that the tournament is on the line for us. So we have to come up with a result. Considering we got spanked by Scotland the last time we played them in Murrayfield, I'm getting a bad feeling that this could be a disaster tournament for us like 2017 was.

I do think the loss last week, along with all the coverage that went with it, will have the team really fired up for this week's game though. So that could be enough to get us over the line. Really hope we see a little more invention somewhere this week though.

It's amazing Aki-Henshaw is considered uninspiring these days after so many people were so excited for it when they played together with Connacht.

Apparently Tom Farrell may make the bench if Chris is in for Henshaw bit strange presuming Addison and Larmour are available.
Different styles. At Connacht they played a superbly exciting brand. Ireland can't do that. Not a coaching thing just the brand is something that has to be developed day in day out.
At Ireland it harder when standard is higher and its in blocks of camps. More structures.

Henshaw high key balling at 13 here... And that's only a 5 min highlight reel.

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/UCD) 87 caps
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 73
13. Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 3 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 13
11. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 15
10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 79 (vc)
9. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 68

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 85
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 114 (c)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 29
4. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 14
5. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 9
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 53 (vc)
7. Sean O'Brien (Leinster/UCD) 53
8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 11 caps
Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 66
17. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 25
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 12
19. Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 11 caps
20. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 14 caps
21. John Cooney (Ulster/Terenure College) 5
22. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 17
23. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 10

Last edited:
I actually really like that backrow. Think the scrum should be very strong with Roux in but the lineout will obviously suffer some.

I don't see the gain line being as much of a problem this week.

Given where Connacht were coming from....

Oh, and I suppose - personally speaking - I'd always pick a youngster full of potential than an older man that you know pretty well what they can and cannot do (assuming roughly equal levels). When they were both in the Connacht midfield, we didn't know where the ceiling was.

So what do we learn.

Is Henshaw goosed?
Is he a 15 or centre.
Where does Addison sit?
Is Jack McGrath now 3rd choice LH prop?

Being honest a win is still expected. But even if it a loss it will be more so due to 9 and 10. If they have form of last week it'll be same outcome. If they pick it up the rest rolls

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Sean Maitland, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Greig Laidlaw (c), 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Ryan Wilson, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Simon Berghan, 2 Stuart McInally, 1 Allan Dell

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Jamie Bhatti, 18 D'arcy Rae, 19 Ben Toolis, 20 Rob Harley, 21 Ali Price, 22 Pete Horne, 23 Blair Kinghorn

Nothing to fear for Ireland on this selection. Home grown hat trick hero Blair benched for journeyman tourist. "Do I not like that". Glad Jamie Ritchie is getting a crack at the big time but i think Ireland can boss the breakdown and apply their usual suffocating style.

Sticking with:

Ireland by 10 (no bonus point)

So what do we learn.

Is Henshaw goosed?
Is he a 15 or centre.
Where does Addison sit?
Is Jack McGrath now 3rd choice LH prop?

Being honest a win is still expected. But even if it a loss it will be more so due to 9 and 10. If they have form of last week it'll be same outcome. If they pick it up the rest rolls
Henshaw has a dead leg.
No idea.
31st man in the RWC squad at best.
Probably for now.

It does seem a little harsh on Kinghorn but Maitland was probably always first choice and Blair's versatility is great for the bench.

I'd have benched Seymour and played Maitland and Kinghorn. There was word of Kinghorn having a slight injury so perhaps that was a factor. A fresh Kinghorn coming off the bench could do some damage.

Maitland would have been first choice last week so it's not a massive surprise to pick the more experienced player in arguably Scotland's most important game. As in, we know Scotland play better at home so an away win at Twickenham is far less likely than beating Ireland at Murrayfield. A win for Scotland on Saturday makes the prospect of beating both France and Wales an interesting one.

But yeah like said, he should be able to make an impact when he comes on.

Latest posts