• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (09/02/2019)

Pardon my ignorance, but are Duncan Taylor and Matt Scott both unavailable at centre? Sam Johnson and Peter Horne both in the 23 does not inspire confidence.

Pardon my ignorance, but are Duncan Taylor and Matt Scott both unavailable at centre? Sam Johnson and Peter Horne both in the 23 does not inspire confidence.

Both are injured. I think Sam Johnson is worthy of his place as he has been in good form for Glasgow and already has a good understanding with Huw Jones. P Horne is in presumably for his versatility as he covers 10, 12 & 13 whereas Hastings can only cover 10.

Hastings has played 15 if they really needed, but he's not in this squad so I guess it doesn't matter. I think P Horne's performances for Scotland have improved in recent years. Funnily enough both Horne and Johnson picked up 'knocks' going into the 6N camp, that's how bad the unjury lists were at one point.

I don't think Scotland have the players to really worry us which isn't what I thought last week. (I don't think I wrote it on here but I must have said "England have the players to beat us" to at least 10 bandwagoners in person last week, I alluded to the possibility of an Irish loss here too but definitely thought we'd win)

That said we're down the best 13 in rugby and two massive system players in the pack, Henshaw in my eye is a loss too as a centre due to his defensive work. I don't know if this team will click and be able to play in either of the two ways we win, possession dominance or death by kickchase. I'm also worried about the Scots going around our relatively cumbersome midfield.

If the Scots get enough of the ball they'll win, huge test for their front five though, I don't quite think they'll manage.

I don't think Scotland have the players to really worry us which isn't what I thought last week. (I don't think I wrote it on here but I must have said "England have the players to beat us" to at least 10 bandwagoners in person last week, I alluded to the possibility of an Irish loss here too but definitely thought we'd win)

That said we're down the best 13 in rugby and two massive system players in the pack, Henshaw in my eye is a loss too as a centre due to his defensive work. I don't know if this team will click and be able to play in either of the two ways we win, possession dominance or death by kickchase. I'm also worried about the Scots going around our relatively cumbersome midfield.

If the Scots get enough of the ball they'll win, huge test for their front five though, I don't quite think they'll manage.
When did Slade play for Ireland?

When did Slade play for Ireland?
Beats an Irish team for the first time in his career after what, five attempts? And he's the best in the world, God we are good!

It's a typo. He meant to write 'facing' instead of 'down'.

I hear Jones hangs up the plate Ringer gave him last year in Dublin with his arse on it in his living room!

Beats an Irish team for the first time in his career after what, five attempts? And he's the best in the world, God we are good!
Slade vs Ireland:
100% win rate

Ring sting vs England:
66% win rate

Slade also has a higher win percentage across his 18 caps compared to Ringaringaroses 18

Last edited:
Slade vs Ireland:
100% win rate

Ring sting vs England:
66% win rate

Slade also has a higher win percentage across his 18 caps compared to Ringaringaroses 18
I knew this thread was actually about England! :) the ***les misleading though.

I think your last sentence sums it up. Scotland actually DO have the players to worry you. The problem is that they're all backs and with the injuries they have in the tight 5, whether the more dangerous backs will see enough of the ball to really hurt you is debatable.

I think your last sentence sums it up. Scotland actually DO have the players to worry you. The problem is that they're all backs and with the injuries they have in the tight 5, whether the more dangerous backs will see enough of the ball to really hurt you is debatable.

Ireland are essentially facing a well drilled Edinburgh front 5 but with Jonny Gray in for Toolis.

I think it'll be close at half time (6 - 13ish) but Ireland will pull away in the 2nd half and it'll end about 14 - 31

Scotland at home is a tough test for literally any side in the game, but they don't have the depth to contend with the injuries they've got, and Ireland will be out for blood after last week.

Ireland are essentially facing a well drilled Edinburgh front 5 but with Jonny Gray in for Toolis.

Fair point. I hadn't seen Gray was back in. WP Nel is out though which will be a loss.

Nel is a loss but the team have played without him often enough. I hope I'm right but I still think it will be a tight game or a joke. If Russell doesn't do anything daft and Gray is actually fit, with Strauss adding some beef to the pack I don't think it's as much of a push over as some think.

The only worry I have is Scotland's ability to switch off and play like a 2nd tier team. I'm still going with 16-20. I think it'll be a good game for neutrals.

Slade vs Ireland:
100% win rate

Ring sting vs England:
66% win rate

Ringrose 2-1 Slade...

There's also 6 nations and Heino cup winners medals between them. Only one of those will be levelled up any time soon!

Latest posts