• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (09/03/2019)

Is Patchell still injured? If not, why are they still picking Anscome?

Patchell still returning to fitness with the Scarlets, coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

For now Anscombe is rightly ahead. In the future I think Patchell and Jarrod Evans will battle it out, but that's probably post world cup with Pivac in charge.

Is Patchell still injured? If not, why are they still picking Anscome?
Patchell still returning to fitness with the Scarlets, coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

For now Anscombe is rightly ahead. In the future I think Patchell and Jarrod Evans will battle it out, but that's probably post world cup with Pivac in charge.

Pretty much what @dullonien said. If everything were equal right now Patchell would be my starter with Biggs of the bench but Patchell has had hardly any rugby this season due to a few head knocks and other injuries.

Jarrod Evans is an immense talent if managed correctly! He has everything we dream of as a Welsh 10. I want Evans 10 and Patchell 12 after WC. I think someone like Biggar can bring Evans on leaps and bounds if he is willing to do the arm around the shoulder stuff.

Anyways the Welsh game plan is clear. Up the middle and wear the Scots out until last 20.

Jarrod Evans is an immense talent if managed correctly! He has everything we dream of as a Welsh 10. I want Evans 10 and Patchell 12 after WC. I think someone like Biggar can bring Evans on leaps and bounds if he is willing to do the arm around the shoulder stuff.

Anyways the Welsh game plan is clear. Up the middle and wear the Scots out until last 20.

He is definitely a talent (at the very least) but he's young and there are 3 more than decent players above him at present. He will definitely get his chances though if his form continues.

Scotland will be tough need to be on our game again, seen the team, as expected no real changes. same again need to be in their faces from the start.

Scotland will be tough need to be on our game again, seen the team, as expected no real changes. same again need to be in their faces from the start.

I'm just worried that this whole region trouble might just take our eyes off the ball a little... I know these guys are seasoned pros but it is amazing what a little external stress can do to concentration.

Glad Wales haven't picked up new injuries, as you dont want championships being decided on such matters. Even at Murrayfield Scotland dont have the players available to beat that Welsh 23 if Wales turn up - Wales can score too many points from open play with that selection.

Glad Wales haven't picked up new injuries, as you dont want championships being decided on such matters. Even at Murrayfield Scotland dont have the players available to beat that Welsh 23 if Wales turn up - Wales can score too many points from open play with that selection.

If only I had your confidence :oops:... but really, you are probably right, I just can't allow myself to think it'll be anything less than a proper tussle. As if I did allow myself to get ahead of myself... and it didn't go our way, I would struggle to get out of bed for ATLEAST the following week, maybe more.

All I will say is that Scotland owe us a performance after the France dire display!

If not then the crazy calls for Gregor's head will intensify.

Anyway, Wales have blown hot and cold this 6N, first half in Paris they were worse than dire and all match against Italy, they were poor but, against England they delivered their best performance yet.

For Scotland, Gregor has tough choices to make because tbh, nearly everyone from the last match couldn't argue if they were dropped for this one.

I am ever the optimist so I am saying Scotland will sneak it 23-21 with Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw having massive says in the outcome.

Wales typically grow into themselves as international series progress,
Will be interesting to see how much this regional mess influences things though - could be a major distraction or could galvanize the side.

Just seen that Maitland and Harris unavailable due to injuries picked up playing in the Premiership last week. Crazy situation where club matches and internationals are played at the same time in the season.
The season calendar needs sorting now.

Wales typically grow into themselves as international series progress,
Will be interesting to see how much this regional mess influences things though - could be a major distraction or could galvanize the side.

I think the regional 'mess' will influence things more next year as opposed to this year. 2 weeks and this 6Ns is done and dusted. Any disruption from the regional issue won't take hold yet. I saw someone mention the effect being psychological but these are grown up guys playing professional rugby. Its their job! I didn't see much evidence of them being psychologically damaged in the England game - and the regional issue has been around and/or on the horizon for ages, 'Major distraction' nah!

All I will say is that Scotland owe us a performance after the France dire display!

If not then the crazy calls for Gregor's head will intensify.

Anyway, Wales have blown hot and cold this 6N, first half in Paris they were worse than dire and all match against Italy, they were poor but, against England they delivered their best performance yet.

For Scotland, Gregor has tough choices to make because tbh, nearly everyone from the last match couldn't argue if they were dropped for this one.

I am ever the optimist so I am saying Scotland will sneak it 23-21 with Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw having massive says in the outcome.

Worryingly, I actually thought Scotland played decent in France in relation to the limitations of their lineup. The pack fronted up really well and I thought Horne had one of his better games (albeit I don't think he is international class). The really young guys all had good games too. France were just too good and Scotland had zero cutting edge.

Hence my negativity for this fixture. Sure Finn and another scrum half could make a sizeable difference, but not the huge improvement that would be required.

I think the regional 'mess' will influence things more next year as opposed to this year. 2 weeks and this 6Ns is done and dusted. Any disruption from the regional issue won't take hold yet. I saw someone mention the effect being psychological but these are grown up guys playing professional rugby. Its their job! I didn't see much evidence of them being psychologically damaged in the England game - and the regional issue has been around and/or on the horizon for ages, 'Major distraction' nah!

I think @TRF_Olyy is talking more about the stress of the unknown taking a toll. The players have been having meetings about the regions when they should be resting after a hard days training/analysis with Wales... it is definitely concerning to me. Stress and nerves actually consumes energy... and international test match players need to be conserving as much of that as they can for training and matches... certainly not this.

I think @TRF_Olyy is talking more about the stress of the unknown taking a toll. The players have been having meetings about the regions when they should be resting after a hard days training/analysis with Wales... it is definitely concerning to me. Stress and nerves actually consumes energy... and international test match players need to be conserving as much of that as they can for training and matches... certainly not this.

Oh I get it, I really do! But like I said, this isn't a new thing. Its been on or around the horizon for ages. Did it look to you like they were stressed in the England game? Don't think so. Maybe it was that first half against France in which they were stressed? But anyway, all will be revealed. At least we've got our excuses if Wales play rubbish this weekend and the final weekend hey?

Oh I get it, I really do! But like I said, this isn't a new thing. Its been on or around the horizon for ages. Did it look to you like they were stressed in the England game? Don't think so. Maybe it was that first half against France in which they were stressed? But anyway, all will be revealed. At least we've got our excuses if Wales play rubbish this weekend and the final weekend hey?

Let's hope we don't have to use them though eh?

Just seen that Maitland and Harris unavailable due to injuries picked up playing in the Premiership last week. Crazy situation where club matches and internationals are played at the same time in the season.
The season calendar needs sorting now.

It's not really a level playing field. Scotland lost Blade Thomson (injured playing for Scarlets the week before the AI's), Finn Russell, Chris Harris and Sean Maitland due to having to play for their clubs in the middle of international competition. This is on top of the injuries sustained during the 6N matches themselves which tend to be pretty intense. We actually could have been done with Laidlaw picking up a minor injury with Clermont ;) It's largely down to the fact that Scotland only have two pro clubs and no central contracts for the exiles. Until the calendar/set-up change I struggle to see Scotland breaking into the top three on a consistent basis as the other nations benefit from having well rested and better prepared players who benefit from spending more time with their squad mates and coaching team.

Latest posts