• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales v Ireland (16/03/2019)

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Wales.png
VS
Ireland.png

Principality Stadium
14:15, 16/03/19

Joe Schmidt has never won an international at Cardiff. Will that change?

Horrible feeling about this weekend. Ireland remembered how to play rugby for a bit on the weekend. Their back row will cause all sorts of issues, Moriarty will get wound up by POM, their front row is better than ours and their lineout is stronger.

It will genuinely take a WOW performance to win this 6 nations. I mean a performance on the level of the 30-3 win. I hope I am wrong.

Am I right in thinking the last time we played Wales on the last weekend was 10 years ago in Cardiff and also a Grand Slam decider?

Horrible feeling about this weekend. Ireland remembered how to play rugby for a bit on the weekend. Their back row will cause all sorts of issues, Moriarty will get wound up by POM, their front row is better than ours and their lineout is stronger.

It will genuinely take a WOW performance to win this 6 nations. I mean a performance on the level of the 30-3 win. I hope I am wrong.
Not sure Steve Walsh is available this weekend

While the defence has been good Wales need to cut out the mistakes with ball in hand and offer a bit more in attack. Davies has been been very slow so far to deliver the ball from the ruck which kills quick ball.

Am I right in thinking the last time we played Wales on the last weekend was 10 years ago in Cardiff and also a Grand Slam decider?

You are indeed correct!

In fact the last two times Wales and Ireland have played each other on the last day have both been Grandslam deciders in Cardiff - 2005 and 2009.

Yep... for Ireland anyway. Same 4 years before that but for Wales, so this fixture has a special place in history for both teams.

I hear this, but England could play when they came a few weeks ago. And they were supposedly better in all areas of play. And then the match happened!

I think if Wales play with that same intensity, same commitment, they can do it.

I'm kind of confident, I reckon Joe's had an eye on this game since we got out of Murrayfield.

I sense the underlying animosity between the two countries' teams extends to the coaches too, Gatland loves a pot shot at Ireland and always has but this is the one fixture where Joe lets his players talk a bit of smack. I doubt Sexton would have made the remarks about Wales "forgetting how to lose" otherwise.

Should be a cracker, Ireland by 8.

No doubt it will take a huge performance as I do think that Ireland will bring their best performance of the championship this weekend... I'm hoping (and expecting) our biggest performance too though, so think it will be a helluva contest.

I'm kind of confident, I reckon Joe's had an eye on this game since we got out of Murrayfield.

I sense the underlying animosity between the two countries' teams extends to the coaches too, Gatland loves a pot shot at Ireland and always has but this is the one fixture where Joe lets his players talk a bit of smack. I doubt Sexton would have made the remarks about Wales "forgetting how to lose" otherwise.

Should be a cracker, Ireland by 8.

I hope I'm wrong... but I've got a feeling that the ref (Gardner if I'm not mistaken) will be the deciding factor either way. I think the sides are pretty close, with Ireland probably having a little more quality while Wales having a little more of the recent form... so the refs interpretation at the breakdown particularly, will probably dictate who goes on to win.

Just think, this Saturday, come take-away time we'll either be saying "bonus points are for wimps" OR we'll be saying, "should have got those bonus points in the early games."

Tadgh Beirne to really be a pain in the @ss and we get a first viewing of the Lions 2nd row pairing in a 6Nations day.

Tadgh set to call the lineout too is interesting call. The real stickler will be Ireland will really have to attack though. Wales defensive performances are why they are in the position so conservative will not cut it. I feel we really have to go for them with intent and try get them chasing us. I feel they are very plain in attack and we can benefit.

A lot of subplots
Schmidt vs Gatland
Farrell vs Edwards

Tadgh Beirne to really be a pain in the @ss and we get a first viewing of the Lions 2nd row pairing in a 6Nations day.

Tadgh set to call the lineout too is interesting call. The real stickler will be Ireland will really have to attack though. Wales defensive performances are why they are in the position so conservative will not cut it. I feel we really have to go for them with intent and try get them chasing us. I feel they are very plain in attack and we can benefit.

A lot of subplots
Schmidt vs Gatland
Farrell vs Edwards

People (including us Welsh) are expecting a big performance from Ireland who have been pretty undercooked thus far this tourney... I'm also expecting an improvement in the Welsh attack as, prior to this 6N our attacking play was developing quite nicely... has to click at some point and Saturday would be a timely occasion.

Latest posts