• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales vs England (23/02/2019)

We talk of how our kicking game will go against a good back 3 especially if they use williams adams halfpenny it will deffinatly be a test but defence has been as big of an asset as our kicking game, puttig pressure on the backline, forcing them to kick, into contact with slow ball or into a rushed pass putting slade under the postswith another intercept.

If we dominate them with physical defence then they will put in more loose kicks that are too long and with our back 3 able to counter all day long. And their wingers having to come up meaning we get a foot race that includes May :)

I want us for a 3rd time to come away being happy with or without the ball. Thats the sign of a good team that dominates play atrack or defence it doesnt matter as the opposition is forced to play into your hands.
This is a great point. England's tackle stats put us way at the top of the table. We have been defensive machines so far, and that defence has been so aggressive it's more like attacking without the ball.

When you look at England's stats over all we have made less meters and beaten less defenders the other teams, but tackled more and scored more try's. this to me indicates that we have at last become really clinical. We don't have as much ball, but when we do we make it count. We have the ability to run the ball and defenders have to be really careful not to rush up because that just invites our kicking game which is so effective. So much in the way of playing options.

I think the away team get to decide. So EJ will use it to wind the Welsh up. Which is always fun.

Not really cause EJ and whoever happens to be coaching England at the time always say no. I'd guess the Welsh are used to it being open for this fixture.

If I'm honest I think biggar should start . With that physical defence from England we need to play the right areas and tactically biggar is stronger than anscombe. I just don't trust anscombe to do a job I think anscombes game plays into the English hands. We need a cool head under pressure and someone to slot them 3 pointers if we get them . If patchell was up and running he'd be first choice for me as he brings the best of both and is the best all round 10 we have imo.

Not really cause EJ and whoever happens to be coaching England at the time always say no. I'd guess the Welsh are used to it being open for this fixture.
You say that, but maybe he'll say closed this year, which is supposed to give Wales an advantage, apparently it's something to do with louder acoustics or some such, just to psych them out and encourage them to overplay.

You say that, but maybe he'll say closed this year, which is supposed to give Wales an advantage, apparently it's something to do with louder acoustics or some such, just to psych them out and encourage them to overplay.
The racket from Carols hen do, waving their pink cowboy hats and inflatable daffodils, will put the fear of God in our stout yeomen

If I'm honest I think biggar should start . With that physical defence from England we need to play the right areas and tactically biggar is stronger than anscombe. I just don't trust anscombe to do a job I think anscombes game plays into the English hands. We need a cool head under pressure and someone to slot them 3 pointers if we get them . If patchell was up and running he'd be first choice for me as he brings the best of both and is the best all round 10 we have imo.
Id much rather anscombe start from an English point of view, if we can close him down in attack then his weaker all round game will play right into our hands, my biggest fear is Biggers chip and chase as he can get in behind our strong defence but i imagine we will prepare for that.

Id much rather anscombe start from an English point of view, if we can close him down in attack then his weaker all round game will play right into our hands, my biggest fear is Biggers chip and chase as he can get in behind our strong defence but i imagine we will prepare for that.
I think most of you would prefer anscombe over biggar. Anscombe can crumble under pressure and his kicking is not up to scratch, also biggar can get under the opposition's skin !

Got to be,

Genge
George
Sinkler
Lawes
Kruis
Wilson
TCurry
Billy
Faz
May
Manu
Slade
Nowell
Daly

LCD
Moon
Williams(personal preference, come will want Cole)
Launchbury(better than kruis IMO but will bring more impact and keep continuity)
Hughes/Clifford
Robson (bring on bang on 60 min)
Ford
Big Joe.

Pretty similar to the round 2 team but we need continuity, get this in the bag and we can play around a little bit, main things are the centre partnership stays the same, Genge gets some game time and Robson gets trusted at 60 min.

And EJ better not put teo in the 23. It is a shame Slade isnt a better 10 or he could be cover, but its not an option. Imagine that back line with Robson JJ Big Joe on the bench.
I'd probably stick a scrum half in there tbf...you know, just for ***** and giggles. ;)

Too many Welsh in there for my liking. :)

I felt that, but apart from AWJ, who I think don't think is as amazing as some people make out, instead of Itoje, I can see a case for the others. George isn't 100% better than Owens. Curry, while fantastic, is still quite new and unproven. JD instead of Slade I'll definitely agree with. North for me wouldn't be in, but we haven't had a consistent winger to say for certain and Daly is still untried at the back.

I say that Wales will lead for most of the game but they'll have a brain fart which will enable Farrell to score a penalty in injury time to make it a draw.

On current form of both teams I would be more confident if it was anyone but Wales.

With that said I think England have more to their game than they have needed to use so far and if things don't start off smoothly they won't panic and will adapt, the difference I noticed when Ireland came back into it and took the lead was their willingness to get off the line start over and not let the mementom swing, in at least one of the SA tests England domainted the scoreboard at the start and were then simply outplayed and couldn't get back any momentum.

5DD490F8-FD3F-4AEE-B33E-07F0B8D4E1D2.jpeg
Nervous already. Will have to be well lubricated prior to kick off.

I probably should have added that it is a luxury problem to have to choose between 2 great players - most other countries would be envious of our strength in depth.
Yep. Launch is a top all round player, would never be upset to see him in the team. But he lacks the USPs of the others. If everyone's fit he's the 4th cab off the rank for me.

As you say, a nice problem to have.

I felt that, but apart from AWJ, who I think don't think is as amazing as some people make out, instead of Itoje, I can see a case for the others. George isn't 100% better than Owens. Curry, while fantastic, is still quite new and unproven. JD instead of Slade I'll definitely agree with. North for me wouldn't be in, but we haven't had a consistent winger to say for certain and Daly is still untried at the back.
Yep, none of them are unreasonable as such, just feels like there's too many of them. ;)

Latest posts