• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales vs England (23/02/2019)

Sorry

Love this...

Yeah that chariot got rolling with 'perpetual motion' for a minute there. We've all gotten carried away with big wins, us, Ireland and most recently England... in the post-massive win fog of war its all too simple to begin believing the hype. I'm hoping we don't allow ourselves to get too carried away after yesterday's win... we need to view it as a tier 1 home win (ie should be expected) and onto the next one.

I was quite critical of Cory HIll when he first started playing for Wales, honestly thought he wasn't test level but fair play to him he has proved me wrong. Every time he plays, he is consistently good, despite seemingly being on the small side compared to England's locks, he put his self about in both attack and defence.

I was quite critical of Cory HIll when he first started playing for Wales, honestly thought he wasn't test level but fair play to him he has proved me wrong. Every time he plays, he is consistently good, despite seemingly being on the small side compared to England's locks, he put his self about in both attack and defence.

If he keeps up his level of performance he will go on the next Lions tour. #legitlion

Hanging out of my arse, and I'm still disappointed with England's second half performance yesterday.

Baffled with Jones' decisions not to change things up.

Yeah that chariot got rolling with 'perpetual motion' for a minute there. We've all gotten carried away with big wins, us, Ireland and most recently England... in the post-massive win fog of war its all too simple to begin believing the hype. I'm hoping we don't allow ourselves to get too carried away after yesterday's win... we need to view it as a tier 1 home win (ie should be expected) and onto the next one.

I think that's exactly the case Wales very good, never a bad team but based or latest performances probably were expect
Rewatched the try. Daly was left a lot to do there. I would question the positioning of Joe Coka. He was so so narrow when Biggar took the ball. He was a good 10m narrower than LW then there was Adams further out. He left Daly with a lot of space to cover which wouldnt have helped. Added to the fact Daly isnt a 15 so high balls and cross fields arent 'natural' to him.

Ultimately it was world class kicking and Adams sheer desire that made the try but if JC was out wide marking his own man surely he would have got there as he is huge?

I think that's all fair enough and sometimes you just have to say ok that was great executition and applaud the attack and not look to criticise the defence.

I don't see why Jones left it so late to introduce Daly to the 15 shirt. If that was the long term plan why did it only start happening in the AIs? Granted there is a few games to play before the WC but it's WC year and Daly doesn't entirely look comfortable at 15.

I don't see why Jones left it so late to introduce Daly to the 15 shirt. If that was the long term plan why did it only start happening in the AIs? Granted there is a few games to play before the WC but it's WC year and Daly doesn't entirely look comfortable at 15.

In fairness he has improved since the SA tour last summer and the AI's... he was pretty great in this 6N's first couple of rounds but was up against a great back three performance yesterday. North was fine, with Adams outstanding and the Bomb Defuser was world class (maybe better o_O).

Watson was the heir apparent to the 15 shirt, and Jones has said as much since he first took over the England job.
He was used on the wing because Mays form was very erratic and Nowell was always injured.
By the time the wing position settled down and it was time to experiment at 15 Watson snapped his Achilles, and then snapped it again in a photoshoot just before return

Watson was the heir apparent to the 15 shirt, and Jones has said as much since he first took over the England job.
He was used on the wing because Mays form was very erratic and Nowell was always injured.
By the time the wing position settled down and it was time to experiment at 15 Watson snapped his Achilles, and then snapped it again in a photoshoot just before return

On a purely skill-set level, Daly seems the more obvious 15 out of the two though.

oh well just watched the game again in the calm of my own home, Great game and good performances from both teams, The Welsh attacked Farrell and it did put him off his game, plus the fact he never had the armchair ride he had in the first two games had an impact on his game,
The welsh back row were slightly overshadowed by their English one in which Curry stood out, Tipric was not really to blame for the curry try, was getting off the floor so I'll forgive him for that, But his presence at the tackle area is still a concern for me.
The front fives were as good as each other, Sinkler was very good, but he needs to watch his temper because other refs will now be looking for it and will penalise him even on 50/50 calls, so if he can curb his enthusiasm will be a real asset for England.

I am so disappointed with England - pretty good for the first thirty minutes, way off the pace thereafter, And the penalty count! 9-3!!! How can you hope to win giving away that many penalties to a good side? Once we failed to score from a very good position in the final minutes of the first half I felt 'There goes the ball game!' Sadly, I was right,
The number of unforced errors England made in the last 50-55 minutes beggared belief. It's just as well my late wife wasn't in the room to hear the obscenities I was screaming!
And Gatland wasn't far out in his comment about Sinkler - as bad/good as Dan Cole in giving away stupid penalties. In fact, I was surprised he didn't get a yellow card for the choke hold on AWJ
Mike

On a purely skill-set level, Daly seems the more obvious 15 out of the two though.
Despite all the jokes Watson actually plays their for Bath it always sealed like the natural choice to move him there.

Nowell will likely be the one to miss out if May/Daly/Watson are all available.

Both very good counter attackers in broken field huge fan of both but I would probably give it to Watson, both have been a little suspect in one on one tackles at times but the use of the boot there is absolutely no contest on that bases I would agree Daly is the man for the job between the two.

Because he was trying watson?

Williams or Adams both deserved MOM, the game was brutal no one giving an inch, but players carrying the ball are sometimes limited if that is the only thing they have Vunipolo and Tuilagi had their strengths for the most part taken away by strong Welsh tackling.
Before the game I thought Anscomb wouldn't be as effective as bigger but, they were the right players to be on the field at their specific times, It was parks best game thus far tackled everything that moved.
Perhaps Watkins could be given a longer spell against Scotland, our back 3 picks itself.
I'm still not happy with the speed the ball is removed from the ruck area, must be faster, I would also swap the BR by putting Navidi at 8 and Moriarty back to 6,
But overall happy with this team, well done wales.

Before I go I think Ireland will be a real battle for us perhaps the toughest, forget England V Ireland, Ireland were bush-wacked didn't know what was coming.

Sorry

Love this...

I could hear the back three singing "feed me till i want no more" as the balls rained down on them - again and again and again. I thought England not taking the stadium training session on Friday was rude and more than arrogant. And this post from sparten32 is gold. Unexploded grenade thrown right back at ya!

Alot has been said as about EJ not using his bench and ive been thinking about why, is it he doesnt trust them in which we sre screwed if the coach doesnt trusyt the second or third choices,

the only other theory i xould come up with is that this is preparing for the world cup, in a real big game environment putting a full 15 as a squad together and making them play a a full 80, seeing how they respond and play when they are at their limit, not many chances and in training isnt a real environment.

Latest posts