• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2019 Springbok Training Squad ahead of RC and RWC

Coetzee is out and Orie, Du Toit, Esterhuizen and Gqoboka have been released to their Currie Cup teams.

36 down now to 32. I believe it's now Elstadt and Kwagga fighting for the final spot.

Just saw that too. I think Kwagga will get the nod, and it's between Elstadt and maybe Gelant/another backline player.

Rassie also showed that he's not afraid to go for the 7/2 split on the bench. So I think his focus will be more so on have enough forwards to easily transition between games.

Sad that Coetzee is out. Our matchday loosies will be Kolisi,PSdT and Vermeulen with Louw on the bench for the big games but if injury were to strike another of our loosies I'd have prefered to have Coetzee there in the absence of JLdP and Jaco Kriel. If we could somehow merge Kwagga and Elstadt that'd be the balanced player we need in the extended pool.

Orie, Esterhuizen, Gqoboka and Du Toit out were always on the cards. Gqoboka is Mtawarira's mid term replacement. This RWC is a year out for him. Will be interesting to see who the final player is to get the cull. One of Kwagga, Elstadt or then Mapimpi or Gelant if its an outside back rather.

I would leave damien and andre

I would have played Rohan JVR , Jaco Kriel and Serfontein in this years CT
I believe Kriel and Serfontein are unavailable. Not sure of RJvR but he left before really setting himself up for future inclusion sadly. I'd have Serfontein and Kriel in there as well if fit.

I am leaning towards the Boks to win their third RWC.
That would be amazing. I think whatever happens this seems like a very open RWC if the lead up is anything to go by. Can't write off NZ or Ireland who are top teams and were the form teams at the end of last year, Wales are #1, England and SA seem to be doing well relying on our traditional strengths and France, Aus, Scotland and Argentina all able to upset the apple cart.

If I look at our RWC track record there seems to be a 3 tournament repeating pattern of us coming in and winning seemingly from out of the blue (1995/2007) then having a settled competitive squad but falling short (1999/2011) and then dropping back into relative obscurity (2003/2015). If that pattern repeats itself again this RWC is ours. I'd rather cling to that pattern than the one saying the RC winner does not fare as well in the RWC.

Glad for the ***le. I'm not one to read too much into 'curses' etc surrounding RC winners not going on to claiming RWC ***les. The sample size is just too small and there are too many variables at play. ***le was there for the taking and we took it. Good job.

Ok, so here i thought. Not one for the superstitious stuff are you? Me too, i dont like too read much into curses, i really hope we can win it but if we lose the WC i will probably revert back to blaming the curse or the poisoned chalice.

If I look at our RWC track record there seems to be a 3 tournament repeating pattern of us coming in and winning seemingly from out of the blue (1995/2007) then having a settled competitive squad but falling short (1999/2011) and then dropping back into relative obscurity (2003/2015). If that pattern repeats itself again this RWC is ours. I'd rather cling to that pattern than the one saying the RC winner does not fare as well in the RWC.

Maybe a bit superstitious ey? Would be nice though, i would actually accept such a pattern permanently if it were to happen.

Ok, so here i thought. Not one for the superstitious stuff are you? Me too, i dont like too read much into curses, i really hope we can win it but if we lose the WC i will probably revert back to blaming the curse or the poisoned chalice.

Maybe a bit superstitious ey? Would be nice though, i would actually accept such a pattern permanently if it were to happen.
LOL. Yeah, while I don't.. as such.. BELIEVE in it, I'm not blind to it. Well, maybe a smidgen of superstition :p

If we can take this one we'll be on a 43% conversion rate at Rugby World Cups. Taking everything into account that'd be amazing.

EDIT; but I'm getting too carried away now. Lets just get past the QF first..

That first game v ABs will be massive. Can't wait. Glad we don't have to wait long for the first truly massive game of the RWC.

There will be a few of them in the pool stages. Of course, I am looking forward to the England ones v Pumas and the French, which is always special. But Boks v ABs in the RWC is pretty much the pick of the pool games for me. And I think I have £10 bet to go the charity of their choice with one of my fellow England posters that'll it'll also turn out to be the final. How many times has that happened, that the teams that met in the same pool also end up meeting in the final? 2007 and 2011 off the top of my head.

I was at the last RWC semi between the two and at half time really thought the Boks were going onto win that one. Remember JP sprinting in front of me towards the AB try line before getting whistled back.

That first game v ABs will be massive. Can't wait. Glad we don't have to wait long for the first truly massive game of the RWC.

There will be a few of them in the pool stages. Of course, I am looking forward to the England ones v Pumas and the French, which is always special. But Boks v ABs in the RWC is pretty much the pick of the pool games for me. And I think I have £10 bet to go the charity of their choice with one of my fellow England posters that'll it'll also turn out to be the final. How many times has that happened, that the teams that met in the same pool also end up meeting in the final? 2007 and 2011 off the top of my head.

I was at the last RWC semi between the two and at half time really thought the Boks were going onto win that one. Remember JP sprinting in front of me towards the AB try line before getting whistled back.

Yeah, it's going to be massive. But then it's out of the way for both of them, and they will play tier 2 & 3 teams for the rest of the pool matches, which might not be good preparation for the playoffs.

Yeah, it's going to be massive. But then it's out of the way for both of them, and they will play tier 2 & 3 teams for the rest of the pool matches, which might not be good preparation for the playoffs.

That is a good point. Both are going to finish 1st and 2nd it just depends which way round 2nd will likely play Ireland. 1st likely to play Scotland or Japan. I expect NZ and SA to play their full strength sides the last pool games regardless of the opposition, so they are not undercooked for the quarters.

That is a good point. Both are going to finish 1st and 2nd it just depends which way round 2nd will likely play Ireland. 1st likely to play Scotland or Japan. I expect NZ and SA to play their full strength sides the last pool games regardless of the opposition, so they are not undercooked for the quarters.

Yup, But New Zealand's last pool game is Italy, and we have Canada. Plus we also finish our pool games 3 days prior to NZ, That could be a worry going into the playoffs...

So today's the day we see the squad going to Japan.

But there's a few articles floating around that bothered me a bit this weekend and today.

1. Aphiwe Dyanthi being found using a banned substance.
2. Eben Etzebeth being falsely accused of pointing a gun at a homeless man in Langebaan
3. Swys De Bruin resigning as part of the coaching staff.

Now, those 3 articles have different outcomes and reasons:
1. Dyanthi is injured and wasn't in contention anyway.
2. This seems to be fake news
3. We kinda saw this coming as he's left before as his medical condition deteriorates.

But it still bothers me that this negative publicity is muddling the water as we embark on our RWC chase.

Damian Willemse has been called up to replace Jesse Kriel in the bok squad...

Seems like some of the fans are getting their wish...

Latest posts