• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 17 (7 & 8 June 2019)

highlanders
Blues
Crusaders
Waratahs
Lions
Stormers
Sharks

Highlanders will win through excitement.

Blues weren't accurate last week. That would have ****** Leon off therefore they'll win

Crusaders are good

Waratahs because I keep underestimating them and Australian derbies are hotly contested so I reckon they'll have a good plan against the brumbies line out game.

Lions because Ardie isn't playing , the canes all year have not been putting enough people in the ruck on attack and the lions have plenty of fetchers.

Sunwolves aren't good.

Jaguares are tired, will feel like they can relax now they are back at home.

I expected the Sharks to lose, but they aren't helping themselves by putting their in-form flyhalf at fullback so that the coaches' son can start at flyhalf.
To be fair I thought Bosch was excellent at FB when he plays there, so it's really a matter of Fassi or RdP.

Where is the referee thinking the offside line is in this game?? For both team!

I have no real problem with how the highlanders are attacking, hence the mistakes. But they need to be more focused and careful in their own half. And on defence.

Highlanders and Bulls are tied 24-24 with 5:00 minutes left to play.

Last edited:
Highlanders and Bulls match ends in a 24-24 draw. That keeps the Bulls playoff hopes alive, but it puts the kibosh to the Highlanders.

Last edited:
What the heck are they focusing on Highlanders lacked simple solid ball skills and exit plays all year.

Totally lost the grit and determination that we had under Joseph. Tony Brown will be good to have back he'll be great for Ioane.

Blues lead the Reds 21-15 at halftime. The Blues looked like they were going to run away with it, but the Reds have mounted a comeback.

I think it's time we started asking the question.

Is 2019 a record year for most number of games drawn in a single season? Rugby draws are rare usually. Very very rare, yet we have seen it on an unprecedented level this year.

The Reds fought back and beat the Blues 29-28, in a very competitive match.

Last edited:
I predicted the blues here, but was the game I was least certain about, spent the most time thinking about.

So it's looking like that nz will fill just two of 8 playoff positions. If that happens I wonder if it will be the first year when the third best nz team placed ninth or worse. For a third no team to make the top 8 it will probably require three of the four following things: sharks to lose both their upcoming games, rebels to lose both their games, Stormers to los one of their games, Waratahs to lose one of their games. And probably not get bonus points.

And the nz placings aren't due to having a tougher conference, as the nz conference was not the toughest this year, for the first time since conferences were introduced.

Last edited:
What the heck are they focusing on Highlanders lacked simple solid ball skills and exit plays all year.

Totally lost the grit and determination that we had under Joseph. Tony Brown will be good to have back he'll be great for Ioane.
Remember Joseph was similar to Mauger in that he wanted to try different game plans, and was unsuccessful for some years, (which should be expected if you are trying different things.) I'm a big Joseph fan, have been since he was a player, but new strategies can take time to iron out.

I predicted the blues here, but was the game I was least certain about, spent the most time thinking about.

So it's looking like that nz will fill just two of 8 playoff positions. If that happens I wonder if it will be the first year when the third best nz team placed ninth or worse. For a third no team to make the top 8 it will probably require three of the four following things: sharks to lose both their upcoming games, rebels to lose both their games, Stormers to los one of their games, Waratahs to lose one of their games. And probably not get bonus points.

And the nz placings aren't due to having a tougher conference, as the nz conference was not the toughest this year, for the first time since conferences were introduced.

2013 had the 3rd best nz team finish 10th. Since then, on points, 6th, 4th, 5th, 4th, 3rd.

Anyone else think the Stormers are playing with fire with their line-up?
Yes it's the Sunwolves, and yes it's at home but wow.

Nah, I think it's a good move. I think it gives them the best chance of winning the competition. They may lose against the sunwolves, but if they played their top team chances are they would run out of steam by the final, with playoff games away from home, and facing the crusaders, for instance, who will be fresh from a buy week going into the playoffs.

If their aim was to make the playoffs it is definitely the wrong move (given recent results, this week, which they wouldn't have known at the star of the week), but if they want to win it is the best move.

I dont think you have a choice. It is the right move.
You are playing against a weaker team, at home. Not only that, but it's a team that is not in your conference so even if you lose, you are not giving out points to your direct competitors.
It's a risk you have to take. It's a calculated risk and one i think you can manage.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Methinks the Crusaders have just made a very loud and clear statement - any talk of a drop in form has been premature

I dont want to take any credit from the crusaders, the were outstanding, but the rebels' defending, good bloody lord....
Aha, I would have thought it would improve at half time. I think the pregame analysis by the crusaders determined there would be opportunities out wide if they got it there quickly. You'd think the defence would adjust

Latest posts