• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 5 (15 & 16 March 2019)

...Matt Faddes still leads our stats on the clean breaks and defenders beaten...no sign of him
wtf ? faddes is a solid option. he's reliable, doesnt panic and has a good work ethic. sure he isnt a beefcake like some of the bigger centres around but faddes can play anywhere in the backs and his brains will beat most brawn any day of the week. not to mention his turn of speed from a standing start is impressive.

wheres Pari Pari Parkinson? he can be credited with a fair amount of the pack dominance last week, not even on the bench and Matt Faddes still leads our stats on the clean breaks and defenders beaten...no sign of him the last two weeks, where's rob thompson?...last year not a million miles for an all black bolter...now, no site

Buckman is a great squad player...but he's too slow for the wing, continuously caught out last week (as opposed to Li who when got beat on the outside managed to run him down) and our solution is to just move him to the other wing?....with no outside back cover on the bench i can see several tries getting scored against us down that wing :(

Mauger starting to worry me...cant seem to lock down a first choice team, how are these guys supposed to build partnerships when they are in and out every week?

53886053_10157235505537249_8941171704592334848_n.jpg

Aye, my favorite side in SupeRugby.

Rovo Thompson is injured mate, he went odd after 20 minutes against the reds a couple weeks back, he shouldn't be too far off.

DHL Stormers: 15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Dan du Plessis, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 SP Marais, 10 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Juarno Augustus, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 JD Schickerling, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Cobus Wiese, 20 Jaco Coetzee, 21 Justin Phillips, 22 Ruhan Nel, 23 Damian Willemse.

Have to say the Stormers pack looks absolutely monstrous this week! Basically 1/3/4/6/7 are Bok first choice players, and Juarno and Schickerling are promising young players for the future. Scarra the only guy out of place (and I like the man don't get me wrong).

Some question marks about the backline, I still wish we'd just play Damian Willemse at 10, and SP Marais isn't much of a wing, feels like he's only in the side to kick which is a bit of a waste.

My expectations are low but there is no reason why we can't do well this year (Or rather no reason based on our players).

Last edited:
I would switch Leyds and Marais. Would also start Willemse at 10, I reckon he's SA's best 10 after Pollard.

my predictions:

Canes
Tahs
Stormers
Sunwolves
Crusaders
Lions

It's just past Midnight here in California and I'm watching the Hurricanes vs the Chiefs on ESPN+ online. In my opinion SupeRugby is the best of all professional rugby.

Great game of rugby! D-mac looks so much better at 15, still joins the line at 10 when he feels like it but doesn't have to take full responsibility.

Great turnaround from a Chiefs perspective, D-Mac is a superb 15 in my opinion
Brumbies also surprised me
0/2 so far...

Damian McKenzie is a freaking joy to watch... Why did they switch him to 10 last week, any idea? He's so much more natural and happy at 15!

The fact that that trademark smile is part of his kicking routine is just so endearing - I wonder if it's calculated to be so, or just came naturally?

Last edited:
I REALLY thought the Chiefs were gonna finally eke one out, alas...

Yes, so was I.
Hey, buddy - I wish we weren't on opposite coasts, because you're literally the only other American I know who cares about rugby. I'm going to my first-ever match next week - MLR is doing a friendly tournament kinda thing, so I'm going to see some Pro14 teams take on each other and the New England Free Jacks, who join MLR next season.

Anyway, good to hear from you - cheers!

Tonight's Highlanders v Crusaders match has been cancelled due to the terror attacks in Christchurch.

Very poorly thought out decision IMO, not because of any sporting reasons, but because when you change aspects of your life because of what terrorists have done, the terrorists win.

Hey, buddy - I wish we weren't on opposite coasts, because you're literally the only other American I know who cares about rugby. I'm going to my first-ever match next week - MLR is doing a friendly tournament kinda thing, so I'm going to see some Pro14 teams take on each other and the New England Free Jacks, who join MLR next season.

Anyway, good to hear from you - cheers!

San Diego has one of the stronger fan bases in the MLR. And I'm sure lot's of fans will turn out for your Free Jacks when they debut next season. From 7 teams last year to 9 this year and 12 next year...I love MLR. Enjoy the Pro14's and your New England side. I almost wrote team, but I caught myself. ;)

Tonight's Highlanders v Crusaders match has been cancelled due to the terror attacks in Christchurch.

Very poorly thought out decision IMO, not because of any sporting reasons, but because when you change aspects of your life because of what terrorists have done, the terrorists win.

I agree. That's exactly what those A-hole terrorists want.

Agh, the Reds are a limp d*ck of a team. Granted the Sunwolves have been looking good but that does not stop your ability to do the basics like kicking it out from a penalty kick

Latest posts