• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Until it starts hampering Wales I don't see why they'd stop. There's definitely a payoff, Ireland have been without good backup players in Zebo and, moreso, Ryan. Is it worth it to the WRU when players are willing to take paycuts and move to uncompetitive teams to play for Wales, probably, although a more long-sighted view of improving infrastructure and youth systems would probably be more beneficial when the economy allows it.

I mean IMO it's been hampering Wales for years now, in fact since they introduced it in 2014.
Personally I haven't really seen a player who has moved to wales due to the Gatland's law progress further, maybe Moriarty.

IDK my personal feelings and one I have said over and over is that the Regions would be better spending the money they use to bring in players like say Adams (Who was playing brilliantly in Worcester for both Wales and Worcester) might be better spent on better coaches and back room staff. I'm amazed a Region hasn't brought in MOC he just seems to fit in the same billing as the other regional coaches.
Or maybe spend the money on trying to get some better non Welsh players into the regions try and find players who would do what Rush did for Cardiff back in 08/09 same with ***o. Same with the 2017 Scarlets with the likes of Bernie, Barclay and McNicholl.

Last edited:
I mean IMO it's been hampering Wales for years now, in fact since they introduced it in 2014.
Personally I haven't really seen a player who has moved to wales due to the Gatland's law progress further, maybe Moriarty.

IDK my personal feelings and one I have said over and over is that the Regions would be better spending the money they use to bring in players like say Adams (Who was playing brilliantly in Worcester for both Wales and Worcester) might be better spent on better coaches and back room staff. I'm amazed a Region hasn't brought in MOC he just seems to fit in the same billing as the other regional coaches.
Or maybe spend the money on trying to get some better non Welsh players into the regions try and find players who would do what Rush did for Cardiff back in 08/09 same with ***o. Same with the 2017 Scarlets with the likes of Bernie, Barclay and McNicholl.
Tbf a lot of welsh players don't do well outside of Wales either. I think they need to drop regions down to three and pool resources that way. They don't have the production line to not have an incentive to keep high quality players and due to the pull of English private schools/clubs need something to bring people back into the regions. Definitely unfair on individuals but It seems to be paying off currently.

It's paying off in the sense that players are moving to the region's, but look at Tompkins/Holmes/Adams since they've been forced to move - form has dropped off a cliff.

It's paying off in the sense that players are moving to the region's, but look at Tompkins/Holmes/Adams since they've been forced to move - form has dropped off a cliff.
I agree, but hard to judge properly when the teams they're playing for are so poor atm. Although Adams looked good at Wors. I guess it goes back to Tigs point that regions should be spending more money on getting quality coaches. They seem to end up with a lot of second rate Kiwis/Aus. John Mulvihill was no one right? Yet Glasgow can land Dave Rennie?

Perfect replacement IMO, Northern lad returning to his first club.
It's been a good couple seasons for Youngs English coaches getting Head coach roles though
Hooper (39)
Borthwick (41)
Gustard (44)
Walder (42)
Sanderson (41)
Skivington (38)
Blackett (38)
Over half the league is now got English head coaches who are under 45.

Also early shout but reckon
Nick Isiewke to Sale I know he signed a new Saracens deal but reckon it has clauses in it.
Also wonder if he might try and poach Wigglesworth as a coach next season.

Also wonder if he might try and poach Wigglesworth as a coach next season.
Apparently Sanderson and Wigglesworth were offered jobs at Sale over the summer, but Wigglesworth wanted to play another season and we just wanted him full time coaching.

Now that Axe has signed I wonder if it might turn Wigglesworth's head.

Axe DoR, Wigglesworth backs, Hodgson skills/kicking - would love that.

Yeh I think Borthwick offered Wigglesworth a player coach role with the view of having him replace Taylor and provide back up for Youngs

Looks like we have offered Cips a contract until the end of the season. Be interesting to see if he accepts it.

Maybe if hes looking for a big contract abroad he might want t put himself in the shop window with some big performances.

Latest posts