• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

60 cap rule is working perfectly fine imo. It's stemmed the exodus out of Wales and actually drawing players back in, which is great for Welsh rugby.

This whole 'players are getting worse' thing ia rubbish imo. Tompkins benefitted of being behind the best pack in Europe when at saracens, that can hide quite a few flaws. He's always been a little bit 'headless chicken' out there, just he's being exposed more when he's supposed to be one of the main men instead of a bit part player. He just needs to improve his decision making and defense.

Adams has had a slight slump, but a couple of injuries haven't helped. Wales have been in a bad place, so opportunities have been non existent for him there. He's been up and down with Blues, but that's the Blues all over atm. He'll come good as the Blues improve with competent coaching.

Holmes has looked good for the Dragons when fit. The Dragons season has been decimated by covid outbreaks as well, so it's been difficult for all the players to get going.

What about a few players who have returned to Wales and improved? North is a player reborn now that the Ospreys are finally looking competent. Protheroe has gone from a bit-part player for Bristol to one of the best back 3 players in Wales. If he keeps his form he'll get capped sooner than later.

Not denying that coaching isn't an issue at the regions, but hopefully that's headed in the right direction. O's appear to have struck gold in Booth, Ryan is taking Dragons in the right direction, anyone must be better than Milvihill for Blues. Main issue atm is Delaney at Scarlets who won't be there much longer imo.

Maybe the deal should be as long as they stay at the club that they originally came through then they should be allowed to remain even if contract extensions. Could have further agreement that must release players to regions when called.
I agree with this. Also say Rowlands going to wales to means slows the development of another young lock as there arnt many teams in Wales,

60 cap rule is working perfectly fine imo. It's stemmed the exodus out of Wales and actually drawing players back in, which is great for Welsh rugby.

This whole 'players are getting worse' thing ia rubbish imo. Tompkins benefitted of being behind the best pack in Europe when at saracens, that can hide quite a few flaws. He's always been a little bit 'headless chicken' out there, just he's being exposed more when he's supposed to be one of the main men instead of a bit part player. He just needs to improve his decision making and defense.

Well according to the welsh he was the best 13 in Europe when he made his Wales debut

I wouldn't mind that to be fair. I think the players who made their breakthrough in Wales wouldn't be happy though.
True but difficult to manage. Horses for Courses really, if your good enough, your good enough no matter where you play. Could do maybe a number of slots in squad for young players developed within UK, much like Gatlands rule?

Coventry have announced a bunch of dual registered players,
Imagine other Championship clubs will do the same - works out well for all parties: Champ clubs get more players without the bill, Prem clubs get to get their academy/recent academy graduates some game time in a season with no A-league and no lower level rugby

Coventry have announced a bunch of dual registered players,
Imagine other Championship clubs will do the same - works out well for all parties: Champ clubs get more players without the bill, Prem clubs get to get their academy/recent academy graduates some game time in a season with no A-league and no lower level rugby
I don't follow The Championship as closely as I used to, but my impression is that most clubs have been making extensive use of DR as a way of balancing the books since the limit for the number of players was increased 5ish years ago. We might see even more extensive use this season though. Increasing the limits was a source of much wailing and gnashing of teeth when it was brought in, but I imagine that current circumstances will quiet all but the most ardent objectors.

Think it's a nice way to help youngsters get used to the gruelling prospect and physicality of top level rugby. Barbeary/Willis/Umaga etc all went down to Champ and all said it was hugely beneficial in their development. For example Sirker has had 504 days out injured with his knee and needs game time but won't get it atm with Bassett/Zack ahead so hopefully gets a good run out and doesn't have to move home. Wasps and Cov will obviously share a fair few players as a good way to get that time.

Think it's a nice way to help youngsters get used to the gruelling prospect and physicality of top level rugby. Barbeary/Willis/Umaga etc all went down to Champ and all said it was hugely beneficial in their development. For example Sirker has had 504 days out injured with his knee and needs game time but won't get it atm with Bassett/Zack ahead so hopefully gets a good run out and doesn't have to move home. Wasps and Cov will obviously share a fair few players as a good way to get that time.
Now that relegation has been scrapped, everyone can start loaning players to Ealing, the bottom 3-4 can even loan out their internationals ;)

Now that relegation has been scrapped, everyone can start loaning players to Ealing, the bottom 3-4 can even loan out their internationals ;)
I really think if you bring Sarries up then Ealing should come too. They have proved themselves good enough and if we play 2-3 years no relegation and then say bottom two relegated for the next season, we can get back on terms. Maybe have a play off game between second bottom and second in champ

I really think if you bring Sarries up then Ealing should come too. They have proved themselves good enough and if we play 2-3 years no relegation and then say bottom two relegated for the next season, we can get back on terms. Maybe have a play off game between second bottom and second in champ
More to the point, having an odd number of teams in a league structure is just stupid and unfair

They have proved themselves good enough
How?
They're the best of the rest but there's still daylight between the promoted side and them every season (about 20pts difference, which is a significant amount)

Think people are getting too hyped about these pre-season friendlies vs Saracens.
If they top the table then great, promote them, but don't just give it to them if they've not earned it.

I thought Sarries couldn't be promoted this year anyway as you need to prove you've complied with the salary cap for at least 2 years.

Tommy Taylor confirmed on a three year deal:

Tommy Taylor confirmed on a three year deal:
That's a long deal TBF. Will take him to 32.

Josh Bassett re-signs for Wasps. Big news for us as senior winger and proven scorer.

Latest posts