• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

It's funny one half of Saints fans say that the other saying that he's the best loosehead.

But tbh both could right but right when it comes to Saints front rowers
He's better than Waller but Waller usually gives at least 4 penalties away each time he starts. Don't trust any saints fans that rate any of our props. I think we have the worst 4 (starting and main sub) props in the premiership.

They are shocking but don't know if it's coaching or players?

Any Saffer that Sale weren't interested in can't be up to much.
That would be why Bath's incoming Saffers were all from a failed club but not mopped up by anyone else?

I think I know someone who'll fight you on Coetzee being "not up to much"

I don't follow The Championship as closely as I used to, but my impression is that most clubs have been making extensive use of DR as a way of balancing the books since the limit for the number of players was increased 5ish years ago. We might see even more extensive use this season though. Increasing the limits was a source of much wailing and gnashing of teeth when it was brought in, but I imagine that current circumstances will quiet all but the most ardent objectors.
The Championship should become a development league, with Premiership clubs having contracts with them to share fringe players.
A bit like farm teams in US Sports.
Teams with a mixture of battle hardened semi pros and older ex top players with young upcoming stars would be great.

I disagree, sport should be a meritocracy; the cream should be allowed to rise to the top, and no-one should have be cut off from accessing the pinnacle.

Progress should be about being better than other clubs, not about a protection racket

I disagree, sport should be a meritocracy; the cream should be allowed to rise to the top, and no-one should have be cut off from accessing the pinnacle.

Progress should be about being better than other clubs, not about a protection racket
But it is not a meritocracy as clubs are just looking for the rich owners to subsidise them.
That is definitely NOT sporting meritocracy.

We have to understand that professional sport is completely different to community sport.

Pro rugby is the shop window that encourages people to go to their local club and these clubs need to understand their role in developing the sport.

And currently, any club can attract a rich owner and work their way up to the top.
Which is meritocratic. Not as much so as I'd like, but still meritocratic.

As directly opposed to any form of ring fencing, or becoming a development league, or any other form of making them second class citizens.

Currently, any one of 1900 cubs COULD attract a wealthy owner, upgrade facilities, coaching and players, and work their way to the very top.
Your proposal is that any one of 13 clubs could do so, and everyone else can go f*** themselves

In theory I agree.
But it needs to be sustainable and you need the infrastructure to promote it.

Because I have seen more Championship clubs go bankrupt than rise and stay.
Did rugby benefit from having the likes of Rotherham and London Welsh in the league? Both spent a large amount of money in their second time in the league and both got ****** because of it

In theory I agree.
But it needs to be sustainable and you need the infrastructure to promote it.

Because I have seen more Championship clubs go bankrupt than rise and stay.
Did rugby benefit from having the likes of Rotherham and London Welsh in the league? Both spent a large amount of money in their second time in the league and both got ****** because of it
So... which phrase do you agree with?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.
If at first you don't succeed, remove any evidence that you even tried.
If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone to f*** off, because you failed, so no-one else should ever be allowed the chance to try.

No-one is suggesting forcing promotion on clubs who aren't ready to.
Rugby HAS benefited from Exeter and Bristol reaching the Premiership.
Not all clubs succeed - that's part of meritocracy, failure fails.

And currently, any club can attract a rich owner and work their way up to the top.
Which is meritocratic. Not as much so as I'd like, but still meritocratic.

As directly opposed to any form of ring fencing, or becoming a development league, or any other form of making them second class citizens.

Currently, any one of 1900 cubs COULD attract a wealthy owner, upgrade facilities, coaching and players, and work their way to the very top.
Your proposal is that any one of 13 clubs could do so, and everyone else can go f*** themselves
So you are suggesting that clubs become the playthings of the rich and then become dropped the minute they get bored, completely ruining a local club and its history.

If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone to f*** off, because you failed, so no-one else should ever be allowed the chance to try.

But isn't this just franchising without the name.
If the club is wealthy enough and has a good supporter base it would be invited to join the top anyway.

Not sure you can claim Bristol as a traditional championship club they are one of the original teams in the premiership.

My Phase I agree with is Strengthen the foundation before trying to build it up.
No club in the championship has what Exeter has.
Ealing get attendance numbers that national league 1 teams beat
Cornish Pirates are 5 years away from their stadium being built
Coventry same with Pirates miles away from their stadium plans and on top of have sharing a city with a cuckoo club.
Ampthill play in a field
Jersey had major financial problems

Which club is ready for promotion really they was the top 6 clubs in the league last season?

I feel that PRL and RFU need to buck up and start looking at how the Championship can get some investment be it something like lumping their TV rights or some ****.

Not sure you can claim Bristol as a traditional championship club they are one of the original teams in the premiership.

My Phase I agree with is Strengthen the foundation before trying to build it up.
No club in the championship has what Exeter has.
Ealing get attendance numbers that national league 1 teams beat
Cornish Pirates are 5 years away from their stadium being built
Coventry same with Pirates miles away from their stadium plans and on top of have sharing a city with a cuckoo club.
Ampthill play in a field
Jersey had major financial problems

Which club is ready for promotion really they was the top 6 clubs in the league last season?

I feel that PRL and RFU need to buck up and start looking at how the Championship can get some investment be it something like lumping their TV rights or some ****.
Or look to expand the Premiership and then ring fence

The Championship should become a development league, with Premiership clubs having contracts with them to share fringe players.
A bit like farm teams in US Sports.
Teams with a mixture of battle hardened semi pros and older ex top players with young upcoming stars would be great.
How does this differ from the current status quo?

Ivan Van Zyl to Sarries confirmed.

Good scrum half with Aled Davies, provides strong cover.

Latest posts