• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] England vs Ireland (21/11/20)

Fear for Wales next week; based on form they're going to be in for a world of hurt

Poor in attack, passes rarely hitting the man in stride, but great in defence, especially given the sheer amount of possession Ireland had. England will get better.

I don't really mind that to be honest. Really, really inaccurate and immature performance but we had intensity and weren't bullied unlike all of our losses since 2019. As long as Farrell brings up the young lads like we need we'll be contenders for the 6n with the light draw.

Not that it makes much sense still but you do realise Daly played OC for years for wasps right, it's probably his most natural position.
Aye but Daly has a lot of experience on the wing up to/including lions level
Slade has never played there

Well,yes.. England had better tactics,great defence, magic Jonny May and horrible haircuts.
But Ireland didn't look poor,in my opinion. Just bad tactics maybe...

I enjoyed this match very much though,very intense :) an interesting thing to watch during my quarantine week :)

Could Willis be an 8? I know I know about playing players out of position but a 6,7,8 of Curry, Underhill and Willis is orgasmic.

Not as disappointed by this as I was by the previous few losses. Not sure if that's a good sign.

I didn't think we had the talent especially in the three quarter line for this. I agree with TAB if we're fitter and have brought in one or two players the 6N should be a lot different.

I'd said I was hoping we'd front up physically, compared to the last three tests we did. Defensively was definitely a step up imo attack was in periods (just in terms of physicality) a lot of blame goes to Byrne taking momentum out of the ball.

We also didn't have our back three taken apart this time. Huge ups to Keenan for that.

Still a fuckload of stupid errors and a number of tactical errors from the coaches.

Like I'd said I'd be looking at a new forwards coach. Things have gone backwards there. The only thing that was operational was the maul defence,

Catt also needs to show more as an attack coach but not sure how much I can blame him with that three quarter line.

Would English fans say you were missing any key players other than Tuilagi through injury rather than selection?

Would English fans say you were missing any key players other than Tuilagi through injury rather than selection?
Watson easially. Whether tis playing him in the wing or where he should be at full back.

Nowell as well.

Our backline is a mess because of three (was 4 with Ford) injuries not just the one.

EJ for some mad reason won't play other wingers.

Ah right thought Watson was fit and just not selected for some reason.

Cowan-Dickie as well

Watson, I think, is on Paternity leave (pretty sure his first kid was born a day or two before the Georgia game)

Annoying as some aspects of that loss were, England are very good right now. No real shame in losing away to them.

We did shoot ourselves in the foot at times and there were some guys there who won't be if we want to win things, but we're in an okay place at the moment. Not great, but where we need to be. Most of the genuine talent is probably a year or so away from making a genuine impact on test rugby but until then we're alright. Good if not great, and given the talent level of the squad I'm not sure we could he doing much better.

Feels like we're going to be seeing Ben Earl in teams for a long time to come; brings so much energy, always seems to be everywhere.

I don't think any of the other newer players really shone, but Lawrence was much more involved this time. Still waiting for him to start with Ford at 10.

Backs in general feel like they're not firing (bar May), but I'm leaning towards that being the half-backs fault more than anything else.

Latest posts