• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] England vs Ireland (21/11/20)

Overall happy. Need to be a bit better in attack though. Too inconsistent and need to convert more pressure into points.

Also what happened to CJ?

Been our best player all year but went missing today.

LCD played for chiefs but only just back from injury, Nowell, Lawes, watson. Big joe was fit he played for bath.
LCD wasnt really injured, he just had a small clear up op. Think he could be back for Wales next week.

Also what happened to CJ?

Been our best player all year but went missing today.

Yeah that's the kind of game you'd expect him to have 15+ carries but I wouldn't be surprised if POM had more carries,

He's earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm certainly not going to watch that match back but it may have been tactical.

Yeah that's the kind of game you'd expect him to have 15+ carries but I wouldn't be surprised if POM had more carries,

He's earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm certainly not going to watch that match back but it may have been tactical.
Yeah. He's allowed a bad game but more confused than anything.

Again its another pretty torid result, but without hand waving away a test match we never looked like winning, I don't think we have unfixable problems. Our pack are nowhere near as sharp as they were a few years ago. Guys missing clearouts, poor set piece and often operating as a completely independent entity to the backs. For the most part I think we have the personell to do the job at any level, but they're not always firing and you have to start to question the coaching in that area. We're just not as ruthless or clever as we should be here. A bit of quality in the front row would go a long way. Bit of a day for the dogs for Kelleher. Good in the loose, but the line out going wrong will seriously affect a player. Quite clear the throw wasn't the only problem there though. Ryan was ultra consistent for us, but his form has dipped. Stander also not his usual self, while O'Mahony did some good work for us as did Doris.

Byrne at 10 is just not enough for this level. The younger Byrne or even Healy couldn't be much more out of their depth than Ross was today I think. Burns at the very least is willing to take the ball to the line and take on defenders. With Byrne it's just so static, he often catches and passes without taking a step, which is essentally asking Aki do do something magnificent with the ball, which isn't happening. Those centres are not at the level either as a unit certainly. Earls was very good and Lowe will be a valuable piece going forward. Keenan gives relly good effort, but I'm not sure if he will long term be a starter, even though I really like him.

There's a huge raft of players through injury and youth through who will vastly improve that side

Yet again I'm left unsatisfied at the end of the game. We were 18-0 up on the hour and didn't kick on. Fair enough our defence was awesome but again we looked very limited in the back line apart from a couple of moments of brilliance from Jonny May. I thought the performance was a 6/10 and nothing more. France didn't play amazingly well in Paris against Ireland and yet still scored 35 points, apart from the May tries we didn't look like scoring and we really struggled to put 5 or 6 phases together on a consistent basis. We've still got a lot of work to do and we're a long way from the heights of Aus and NZ in the World Cup.

Yet again I'm left unsatisfied at the end of the game. We were 18-0 up on the hour and didn't kick on. Fair enough our defence was awesome but again we looked very limited in the back line apart from a couple of moments of brilliance from Jonny May. I thought the performance was a 6/10 and nothing more. France didn't play amazingly well in Paris against Ireland and yet still scored 35 points, apart from the May tries we didn't look like scoring and we really struggled to put 5 or 6 phases together on a consistent basis. We've still got a lot of work to do and we're a long way from the heights of Aus and NZ in the World Cup.
I think a large chunk of struggling to string together phases is Farrell kicking it all the ******* time. He has simply got to be switched out. Pretty much everything that goes **** that isn't directly in the set piece he is at the centre of.

EJ game plan kick alot and win we did and we did.
Not the most exciting but it's the Coaches way to win games and who ever we play we will play same way.
However much any England supporter doesn't like it we are extremely effective doing it and racking up wins.
While EJ in charge that's are game hard to blame any player.

A step up in opposition and another win. We were never in danger of losing, but, but, but....

We fielded as close to a first choice team as we could. Much more experienced than Ire, who in some respects were a bit experimental. We were expected to win fairly comfortably.

We lost the last 58 minutes 7-6. The tackle count was scarcely believable - we made 246 against 73 by Ire.

May took both his tries very well, but they weren't really engineered through great play. The cross kick is always a 50-50 chance at best while the second came from an Irish cock up near our line.

I'm really not sure what we're trying to achieve at the moment. Wal and Ire are obviously in transition, but that's not really the case for us. I'd like to see how we'd measure up against stiffer opposition like Fra or the Boks.

Whilst I appreciate the plan is to kick I'm fairly certain Farrell isn't being told to do any of the following. Short kicks being virtually uncontestable, long kicks going straight to the opposition, kicking it during an overlap.

He's doing the plan but he's showing no tactical awareness to what the plan is trying to achieve.

Good win, solid defence and 240+ tackles. High workrate and commitment from the pack and the backs in def too. Not as exciting in attack but still.

Id rather us have a solid defence and decent kicking game to build on. Attack can be worked on and built on solid a foundation.

We have changed attack coaches so it will take time to bed in.

Cant believe the tackle count and how little we missed.

Maro made 24 tackles: 0 misses
Curry made 23 tackles: 0 misses
Underhill made 21 tackles: 0 misses
Binny made 22 tackles: 0 misses

That's insane

Latest posts