• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] Ireland vs Georgia (29/11/20)

I'm not even going to predict a team because the sheer amount of low ceiling guys in rhe 26-30 age bracket is depressing.

Moderately hopeful we'll see Daly do well. Other than that struggling to think of a player in the squad I'm excited to see in green.

This isn't going to be pretty is it!. Ireland don't seem to have it in them currently to rip teams apart so consequently they'll probably win by 20 points rather than the 40 or 50 that they should be winning by. probably be 35-12 or something like that.

This isn't going to be pretty is it!. Ireland don't seem to have it in them currently to rip teams apart so consequently they'll probably win by 20 points rather than the 40 or 50 that they should be winning by. probably be 35-12 or something like that.
I swear people have goldfish memories when it comes to us. We beat Wales by 21 and put 50 on Italy.

Since no one else will, I'll stick in the team I'm expecting.

1. Byrne/EOS
2. Kelleher
3. Bealham
4. Henderson (C)
5. Beirne
6. Connors
7. VDF
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Burns
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Farrell/Aki
14. Earls
15. Daly

16. Heffernan
17. EOS/Healy
18. Ryan
19. Dillane
20. POM
21. Marmion
22. Byrne
23. Conway

Flankers and sub backrow are the biggest guess. Pretty much as depressing as others were saying. I don't expect full on rotation with the current circumstances but one or two guys could really have spiced it up.

I expect Ireland to win by about 40, they have always tended to pummel the minnows ok even when struggling otherwise.

Big dead rubber game. More gametime all the same and I'd expect to see some variety and experimentation in our plays. The Georgians will be physical and spirited but won't offer much else to the occasion. I've come not to expect many radical changes from Andy Farrell, but maybe he'll throw a curveball with selection on this one. It's the right day for it.

15. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 31 caps
14. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 12 caps
12. Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/Ulster) 3 caps
11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 86 caps
10. Billy Burns (UIster) 2 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 85 caps

1. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 13 caps
2. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 14 caps
3. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 30 caps
4. Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 56 caps
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 30 caps Captain
6. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 16 caps
7. Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) 4 caps
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 44 caps

Replacements
16. Dave Heffernan (Buccaneers/Connacht) 4 caps
17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 102 caps
18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 21 caps
19. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 14 caps
20. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 71 caps
21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 27 caps
22. Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 9 caps
23. Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster) uncapped

Ehhh....

Reading through that team sheet was a journey in and of itself.

Stockdale at 15, unsurprising.
Centres as expected
Earls on the wing (internal sigh)
Murray at 9 (annoying)
Bealham at 1, weird, at least Healy gets the week off though *checks 17* :(
Then I just lost it with Porter at 3.

Nothing to say about Heffernan, Healy, John Ryan, Roux and O'Mahony all having caps wasted on them off the bench.

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous team sheet we've named since Eddie O'Sullivan. Every time you look you see something worse.

At least someone listened to me about Beirne at 6 I suppose. Why isn't Daly playing though? I suppose if Wales somehow beat England and deny them the bp we'll have no issues making up the points difference to top the group.

I'm happy about Beirne getting a go at 6.

As TAB says a lot will depend on the team for next week. If there's heavy rotation for that match then this team will be a lot more forgiveable.

There would maybe be a pass for not having O'Sullivan involved due to being a late call up but that's a problem wholly of the coaching staff a making.

Not too really annoyed with Stockdale at 15. If they see him as a long term fullback this is as good as any game to get him used to there. Daly also just being back from injury and not having played in ages also gives some leeway.

I'm ok with Murray starting, we need a goalkicker anyway.

I can't think of a good reason not to have Kelleher involved and can't really understand why VDF and Dillane aren't. Though with the latter two next week's team might influence that.

I think Farrell said he wanted to see every player in the squad get some game time. Just looking at the AN Cup this should see every original member play a part apart from Dillane?

I'd completely forgotten this competition has groups or a final. Give a **** like?

Type of game I'll watch if I have nothing else to do.

Thought I'd take a look and here's the last Ireland team to play Georgia in 2014 .

IRELAND: Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster); Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster), Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster); Ian Madigan (Blackrock/Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt); Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster), Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster), Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster), Dave Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster), Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster), Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster).

Replacements: Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Rodney Ah You (Buccaneers/Connacht), Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster), Robin Copeland (Young Munster/Munster), Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht), Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster), Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster).

I'd completely forgotten this competition has groups or a final. Give a **** like?

Type of game I'll watch if I have nothing else to do.
If it was on at the same time as the hurling there's no way I'd pick this.

I really hope Kelleher and JGP are being rested, I'll reserve final judgement on Farrell until next week but he's on tenterhooks.
Both dropped from wording. Murray in on form and his response and Herring did well last week.

At least in a game with no seedings we will learn what Stockdale like at 15 over Keenan or Daly,
What Keith Earls is like,
Can Porter handle playing 3,
Can Cian Healy make an impact
Can POM make an impact
What is James Ryan like
Is Murray abke for it

Our management of prop this window has been a textbook example of how not to pick international teams.

Sure Kelleher had a poor game but he's worth investing time in.

Latest posts