• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] Ireland vs Georgia (29/11/20)

Lowe and Conway are both injured anyway. Lowe going for a scan with an adductor injury. That's a few Leinster players this season who've had adductor injuries.

Lowe and Conway are both injured anyway. Lowe going for a scan with an adductor injury. That's a few Leinster players this season who've had adductor injuries.
Ffs, Leinster's backline for Europe could be incredibly callow. Wouldn't be a surprise to see
9. McGrath 10. R.Byrne 11. Dave Kearney 12. Frawley 13. ??? 14. Kelleher 15. Keenen 21. JGP 22. H. Byrne 23. ??? (6-2 split?) is the best I can do out of guys who are definitely fit.

Got to hope some of Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, O'Loughlin, Jimmy O'Brien, Conor O'Brien and Sexton will come back and fill some of those gaps but none are guarenteed right now. Short at tighthead too.

Frawley and Turner are the only fit Leinster centres. Although I think ROL is expected back for Europe.

Our management of prop this window has been a textbook example of how not to pick international teams.

Sure Kelleher had a poor game but he's worth investing time in.
Well this is my point. Kelleher was poor. Lineout was desperate. But he wasn't solely to blame and will be challenging for 2 jersey for years. So we need to look at that too. 1 eye on longer picture.

Like seriously for this game we must have a high average age. Daly even ahead of Earls.
We are bursting through the roof woth backrow guys why use POM for 3 weeks straight.
Porter needs to be managed carefully like he played full 80 last week.
We have a tighthead starting at loosehead.
A 34 year old replacement at LH when a young guy can get experience.
We have POM at backrow backup. Like Van Der Flier seems to have dropped off radar.

Last edited:
Daly becomes the latest member of the 2016 U20 team to make team Ireland senior team as well. 6th? I think. Could still be a few more too.

I think your post has inadvertently made me realise how stupid this selection is.
Both dropped from wording. Murray in on form and his response and Herring did well last week.
If this is true Farrell needs to get a cop on, neither were worse than Murray or Herring were against France.
we will learn what Stockdale like at 15 over Keenan or Daly,
We know he can do it against weak opposition, he was good v Italy. Golden opportunity to see if Daly could cut it wasted for the most part, with Jimmy O'Brien on his heels it feels short sighted. Stockdale will go well and play next week and these minutes will hardly stand to him.
What Keith Earls is like,
Earls is a solid winger, always has been. He's also 33... We learn nothing here.
Can Porter handle playing 3,
We know he can
Can Cian Healy make an impact
Yes
Can POM make an impact
Yes, but is it needed? We are inundated with younger backrows who can offer as much
What is James Ryan like
Out of form and being flogged in the hope he gets it back, rarely works.
Is Murray abke for it
Against Georgia, yeah. Next week, I reckon we'll be frustrated.

Other things everyone with two eyes knows that hopefully Farrell will learn this game:
McCloskey isn't at the level
Beirne is a must for the 23, he'll play well at 6 and has done in the row.
Herring is about as useful as a chocolate teapot around the park.

Nowhere near all of these selections are injury forced, I really don't think it bodes well.

Edit: Just realised the sarcasm. My apathy overcame me.

Last edited:
Direct quote from Farrell which the IT says was in relation to young players like Casey and Byrne:

"Hopefully in the not too distant future they will play in some European or big derby games and we can judge them on that."

I think your post has inadvertently made me realise how stupid this selection is.

If this is true Farrell needs to get a cop on, neither were worse than Murray or Herring were against France.

We know he can do it against weak opposition, he was good v Italy. Golden opportunity to see if Daly could cut it wasted for the most part, with Jimmy O'Brien on his heels it feels short sighted. Stockdale will go well and play next week and these minutes will hardly stand to him.

Earls is a solid winger, always has been. He's also 33... We learn nothing here.

We know he can

Yes

Yes, but is it needed? We are inundated with younger backrows who can offer as much

Out of form and being flogged in the hope he gets it back, rarely works.

Against Georgia, yeah. Next week, I reckon we'll be frustrated.

Other things everyone with two eyes knows that hopefully Farrell will learn this game:
McCloskey isn't at the level
Beirne is a must for the 23, he'll play well at 6 and has done in the row.
Herring is about as useful as a chocolate teapot around the park.

Nowhere near all of these selections are injury forced, I really don't think it bodes well.

Edit: Just realised the sarcasm. My apathy overcame me.
Ha I was wondering had you fully lost it.

FWIW chocolate teapots are useful too

Just on this Alpha.

Stockdale at 15 is not injury enforced.
Earls at wing is not injury enforced.
Murray at 9 is not injury enforced.
Ryan/Henderson at lock is not injury enforced.
Porter is not injury enforced. He has been flogged there is 2 other tightheads in 23. O'Sullivan should be in here too as Healy/Porter deserve a break.
Herring is not injury enforced.

As I said. When we crash and burn at the next RWC or struggle in 6 Nations because we are picking out of form lads and told well alternatives aren't experienced. Remember this period.

NZ, Aus, Arg, SA, Eng all do it. Build a squad. Wales through injuries are.

And we will be wondering why we are left wagging tails. Every coach fails to learn from the errors of their predecessors.

Shane Daly for example left Munster for Irish camp and got little time. In that time Mike Haley has rediscovered his form and is in great form, Calvin Nash is playing superb, Sweets has been excellent, add in Earls and Conway. Matt Gallagher as a 15 was superb too. Has been iffy as a wing. But my point is Day's good form resulted in him loosing a month of rugby while others took chances.

Last edited:
Direct quote from Farrell which the IT says was in relation to young players like Casey and Byrne:

"Hopefully in the not too distant future they will play in some European or big derby games and we can judge them on that."
Still no reason not to test a few here. And my gripe is not that these guys are not playing but more against Georgia at home in a nothing game we are sticking with lads that will not be here in 2 years.
And tha gap is not that big between the lads who will be.

Hard too feel this year hasn't been wasted a bit in terms of development. We clearly needed a rebuild after the last world cup. We haven't really managed to move on anywhere outside the back three and to a lesser extent the backrow though. Devin Toner and Keith Earls have both started against this year. We've only managed to properly establish one new starter in Doris. (And Herring but cmon). Rob Kearney and Rory Best are the only players who are actually gone and we haven't done particularly well at 2 and 15 without them.

I do have some sympathy for Andy Farrell but the level of conservatism shown in some of the selections would be more understandable if the results and performances hadn't been so mediocre. It's been a forgettable year with no standout performances on the pitch and an underwhelming amount of starters from the Schmidt era not moved on. 2021 is going to be tough too because we're going to need to move on from all of Healy, Murray, Sexton, O'Mahony and Earls. Makes you wonder how if we're going to be able to transition away from Aki and Stander after that or if we'll pick them past their sell by date like we did with Best at the world cup. Right now it feels like we're trying to come up with reasons to keep picking tje starters than going and looking for guys who can replace them.

Shane Daly for example left Munster for Irish camp and got little time. In that time Mike Haley has rediscovered his form and is in great form, Calvin Nash is playing superb, Sweets has been excellent, add in Earls and Conway. Matt Gallagher as a 15 was superb too. Has been iffy as a wing. But my point is Day's good form resulted in him loosing a month of rugby while others took chances.
Agree completely. Daly's career has not been done any favors. He will get 20 minutes of international rugby from the entire international window while Haley is playing every week. There's a balance in picking young guys, where if you are taking them away from their provinces they need to play. I get that this is probably part of the point Easterby and co were ironically trying to make with their 'cheap caps' comment, but people asking that you call up a couple of young players in key positions for a week against poor opposition is not the same thing as holding them for the whole window.

Thought I'd take a look and here's the last Ireland team to play Georgia in 2014 .

IRELAND: Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster); Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster), Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster); Ian Madigan (Blackrock/Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt); Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster), Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster), Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster), Dave Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster), Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster), Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster).

Replacements: Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Rodney Ah You (Buccaneers/Connacht), Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster), Robin Copeland (Young Munster/Munster), Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht), Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster), Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster).
Marmion hasn't made much progress in 5 years.

team with a lot of youngsters in Georgia's squad
The older player, #19 Gachechiladze is 30 and 11 months (and the only player from the 23 born in 80's)
The younger is #23 Davit Niniashvili (18 years old)

1. Mikheil Nariashvili - 1990 - Montpellier (FRA)
2. Shalva Mamukashvili - 1990 - Leicester Tigers (ENG)
3. Beka Gigashvili - 1992 - Toulon (FRA)
4. Nodar Cheishvili - 1990 - Aia Kutaisi (GEO)
5. Lasha Jaiani - 1998 - University of Exeter (ENG)
6. Beka Saghinadze - 1998 - Aurillac (FRA)
7. Tornike Jalagonia - 1998 - Biarritz (FRA)
8. Beka Gorgadze - 1996 - Union Bordeaux-Bègles (FRA)
9. Vasil Lobzhanidze - 1996 - Brive (FRA)
10. Tedo Abzhandadze - 1999 - Brive (FRA)
11. Tamaz Mchedlidze - 1993 - Rouen (FRA)
12. Merab Sharikadze - 1993 - unattached / CAPTAIN
13. Giorgi Kveseladze - 1997 - Armazi Marneuli (GEO)
14. Akaki Tabutsadze - 1997 - Lelo Tbilisi (GEO)
15. Soso Matiashvili - 1993 - Lelo Tbilisi (GEO)

16. Giorgi Chkoidze - 1991 - Lokomotiv Penza (RUS)
17. Lekso Kaulashvili - 1992 - Union Bordeaux-Bègles (FRA)
18. Giorgi Melikidze - 1996 - Stade Français Paris (FRA)
19. Giorgi Javakhia - 1996 - Aurillac (FRA)
20. Mikheil Gachechiladze - 1989 - Enisei-STM (RUS)
21. Mikheil Alania - 2000 - Aurillac (FRA)
22. Demur Tapladze - 2000 - Lelo Tbilisi (GEO)
23. Davit Niniashvili - 2002 - Khvamli (GEO)

Last edited:
Oh so the Ireland's Call we've been playing has been our choice.

I guess it's slightly logical. You can't really tell if 3rd place in group A is better than 3rd place in group B unless they play each other.

Also how can we make a song that says the word Ireland a million times as its main lyric even more Irish, just in case people don't realise what the song is about.

Latest posts