• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] Wales vs Georgia (21/11/20)

Ospervat

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Plymouth

Not much to say about that. Still pretty ****, crap conditions, Wales line out a shambles.
Will always take a win though especially with such a new team.
A new team...
Here’s an interesting stat.

24 of the 31 currently in the Wales squad were part of the WC squad.

9 of the 23 that played today were part of the WC squad

5 of the 23 that played today were part of the WC semi-final squad.

duncanb

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Northampton

Horrible match for Neutral how ever conditions made a decent game hard to find.
What I take Wales struggling to find their new game plan, Georgia are worse than Italy front 5 playing in France doesn't warrant a place in 6 N

Tallshort

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Former Soviet Union

Club or Nation

Nottingham

Well done Wales I suppose

MattGaff

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

Cardiff

A new team...
Here’s an interesting stat.

24 of the 31 currently in the Wales squad were part of the WC squad.

9 of the 23 that played today were part of the WC squad

5 of the 23 that played today were part of the WC semi-final squad.
Not sure what you are getting at?
It was a new team. Not 1 or 2 (maximum 5) changes you would make week to week.

Kristian Dacey was in the Lions squad once without actual game time. Doesn’t make him a British Lion

Ospervat

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Plymouth

Not sure what you are getting at?
It was a new team. Not 1 or 2 (maximum 5) changes you would make week to week.

Kristian Dacey was in the Lions squad once without actual game time. Doesn’t make him a British Lion

I accept your point - There were 13 changes from last week. I think the issue I’m attempting to highlight Is that the squad is the team.

There is a wealth of talent and experience in that squad (the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts) - if your best 23 can’t perform against a tier 1 side, which has been the case in the past few weeks then let’s see how they perform against a tier 2 side. As a coach it may be time to start culling and if that doesn’t work then “you” as the coach and management must be the problem.

I accept that of the starting 7 in the back line only Liam Williams provided any experience for the first 60 minutes leaving only Rhys Webb in the backs who had come on 5 minutes earlier for the remainder of the game.

As for the forwards - well, there was a lot of experience in that starting 8 with 2 exceptions and some good experience in the replacements in the form of Brown and Hill.

Yes, the forwards held their own and showed some improvement in set pieces against a notoriously strong pack that haven’t been performing themselves particularly well in that department.

Kudo’s for not conceding a try too but, I just don’t think it’s clear what Pivac thinks he learned from today.

I guess we’ll see next week.

Btw the only welsh player not used in the WCSF was Elliot Dee.

Jimbo

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

UK

Club or Nation

London Wasps

Not convinced he thinks he’s learned v m from it, it was probably just largely survival mode, lots of calls for his head, probably from a Georgian perspective the game to target and go after for an upset based on teams form. Get a cap and game time for those less experienced was probably the main takeaway.

Blindside

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

Wales

Welsh rugby is like an army whose victories have separated it from its supply lines, It a logistical disaster, and we are heading for at least a decade of mediocracy. Wales has some unique characteristics in that South Wales is a hotbed of young players within an hour's drive of each other, easily reachable and influenced by good practice and influential coaches and well-designed structures. In reality, its a complete dog's ******** of nepotism and incompetence.

Primary

The Rugby Forum Assistant
Here are some related products that The Rugby Forum members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to The Rugby Forum’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to The Rugby Forum discussions about these products.