• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] Wales vs Georgia (21/11/20)

I think Wales will win, but I'm less confident in that assertion than I should be.

Georgia have been really poor but Wales seemingly getting worse and worse each game. There's going to be a load of Wales changes for this game, can't really say it will make the performance become disjointed as they have been anyways.

Interesting game for Wales,
This kind of game is one where you should be trying out new players etc. but Pivac desperately needs a win - Will he stick with the old guard (many of whom are the issue in the side atm, tbh)?

Interesting game for Wales,
This kind of game is one where you should be trying out new players etc. but Pivac desperately needs a win - Will he stick with the old guard (many of whom are the issue in the side atm, tbh)?

He has already said that this week will be used to give players game time who haven't already featured. As you said though the current team isn't preforming anyways.
I would like to see a centre pairing of Tompkins and Johnny Williams be given a chance. Jon Davies hasn't been given a decent ball to use to be honest but he does seem to be struggling to be getting back up to speed. LRZ will play, hopefully Lloyd get's some game time.

Well I guess it's one way to break your losing streak.

Can't decide whether Wales will cut loose or whether it will turn into a really ugly dogfight where Georgia could keep close. Wales in the past have struggled against tier 2 opponents, I'm thinking Samoa and Fiji in particular. I think Wales will win but in an unconvincing manner, maybe by 14 points or so.

I could see Georgia potentially holding Wales for the first 60 but not the full 80.

Wales have called up James Botham and Johnny McNicholl. Botham is injury cover for Navidi and Moriarty. Botham has played well since August, I think it's fair he get's a chance, certainly no other Wales back row has really shone so far. McNichol is not cover for anyone but he's a guy who worked very well in Privac's Scarlets side so I'm expecting him to come straight into the side to help Wales play with a bit more direction.

This is a tricky one. 13 changes for Wales and no AWJ to do the bullying (fighting) up front in contact. Georgia know they have a stronger pack and with no fast and experienced back line for Wales this could go either way.

Georgia made 5 changes
Former Sunwolves hooker Jaba Bregvadze replaces Mamukashvili at #2
Big lock Konstantin Mikautadze back in the second row after being commited with his team last week
Powerfull backrower Otar Giorgadze is starting on thr flank
The forward pack is looking stronger with these changes

Vasil Lobzhanidze, the younger player ever in RWC is back at #9, with good connections with his flyhalf and teammate at Brive Tedo Abzhandadze

Veteran winger Sandro Todua is also back in the starting XV to replace young Sandro Svanidze

Russian based Giorgi Chkoidze, ProD2 centre Tamaz Mchedlidze and 2000-born Demur Tapladze will start from the bench

1. Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier/FRA, 63 caps)
2. Jaba Bregvadze (unattached, 60 caps)
3. Beka Gigashvili (Toulon/FRA, 15 caps)
4. Grigor Kerdikoshvili (Lelo Tbilisi/GEO, 3 casp)
5. Konstantin Mikautadze (Bayonne/FRA, 64 caps)
6. Otar Giorgadze (Brive/FRA, 27 caps)
7. Beka Saghinadze (Aurillac/FRA, 14 caps)
8. Beka Gorgadze (Bordeaux/FRA, 29 caps)

9. Vasil Lobzhanidze (Brive/FRA, 53 caps)
10. Tedo Abzhandadze (Brive/FRA, 17 caps)
11. Sandro Todua (Batumi/GEO, 87 caps)
12. Merab Sharikadze (unattached, 68 caps) CAPTAIN
13. Giorgi Kveseladze (Armazi/GEO, 26 caps)
14. Akaki Tabutsadze (Lelo Tbilisi/GEO, 4 caps)
15. Lasha Khmaladze (Batumi/GEO, 84 caps)

16. Giorgi Chkoidze (Lokomotiv Penza/RUS, 11 caps)
17. Guram Gogichashvili (Racing92/FRA, 16 caps)
18. Lekso Kaulashvili (Bordeaux/FRA, 2 caps)
19. Lasha Jaiani (Armazi/GEO, 3 caps)
20. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (Batumi/GEO, 59 caps)

21. Gela Aprasidze (Montpellier/FRA, 27 caps)
22. Demur Tapladze (Lelo Tbilisi/GEO, 3 caps)
23. Tamaz Mchedlidze (Rouen/FRA, 58 caps)

This tournament is a good shop window for Sharikadze. I hadn't realised he was 'unattached', but I think he's looked fairly decent and could do a job as a squad player in the Premiership or Pro14. Young enough to improve too.

I think this is Georgia's best opportunity to take a T1 scalp, a Welsh side on a bad run of form and with wholesale changes. If I were the Georgians, I'd be throwing absolutely everything at this one to try to take something from it. Can't see them doing it but you never know, it is 2020 after all.

It's depressing seeing Williams in the 12 shirt. Was always hoping he would get a chance with England in that spot! We moan about lack of 12s, then we let one go.

This tournament is a good shop window for Sharikadze. I hadn't realised he was 'unattached', but I think he's looked fairly decent and could do a job as a squad player in the Premiership or Pro14. Young enough to improve too.
Sharikadze had good contacts with some clubs so decided to leave Aurillac in 2019, then he playded RWC and then had a nasty injury + covid he finally did not found a club. The test against Scotland last month was his first game since RWC so more than a year without playing

The other unattached player, hooker Jaba Bregvadze, played for the Sunwolves past 3 seasons (also played for Toulouse and Worcester) and is unattached since Sunwolves deasapeared

It's depressing seeing Williams in the 12 shirt. Was always hoping he would get a chance with England in that spot! We moan about lack of 12s, then we let one go.
Not exactly ... we let Tompkins go but this is quite different. We last picked Williams for the Barbarians game last year, then he was out with testicular cancer. By the next available window to pick him, he'd decided to throw his lot in with Wales.

More like his choice than one we 'let go': https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55006692

This is a tricky one. 13 changes for Wales and no AWJ to do the bullying (fighting) up front in contact. Georgia know they have a stronger pack and with no fast and experienced back line for Wales this could go either way.

I agree about experience in the backs, although McNichol despite his lack of caps has been around the block now. Not sure what you are on about not fast? That's a pretty quick back line, especially the back 3.

Wales needed the wholesale changes, the 'first team' clearly aren't clicking at all and seems to be in a bit of a rut. There's players in this team that deserve a chance and I just hope that the performance is bit less disjointed although Georgia do really seem to be struggling at the moment so Wales are going to a bit better because of that anyways.​

Not exactly ... we let Tompkins go but this is quite different. We last picked Williams for the Barbarians game last year, then he was out with testicular cancer. By the next available window to pick him, he'd decided to throw his lot in with Wales.

More like his choice than one we 'let go': https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55006692
Wouldn't surprise me that he saw no sight of an English cap. Reading that article, Wales came calling first.

Why should he have done though? He was never going to make the RWC squad, Newcastle were playing in the Championship and he was recovering from cancer. None of that really put him in a position to be picked. Aside from the cancer, his injury record was never great - basically when he was available to be selected, England showed consistent interest in him.

I assume the cancer situation made him re-assess and he chose Wales (who he's always had a connection with). I don't think it's a lack of interest from England.

Sheedy also played for England in that match, also now turning out for Wales.

There is an argument to be made that EJs plan is blocking potential candidates for both 10 and 12 slots and this is the result.

Latest posts