• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 RC/Tri Nations] Round 1: Australia v New Zealand (Bledisloe 3) (31/10/2020)

Well - i figured the new kids would get flogged but geez, i thought they'd at least fire a shot.

You have to wonder how long the Wallabies can keep putting a team out to get thrashed in front of an empty stadium. No TV deal, no competition for next year and no performance from the Wallabies.

Could be the end.

That is one the most forgettable first 40 mins in Australian rugby history.

Well, that was a hiding. All Blacks did their job well. I hate seeing one sided matches.
Australians are young and will learn, however, they desperately need to learn fast how to handle a wet ball on a wet field.

interesting, just watching the game now, some tough calls against the AB's
Clarkes no try was a good call.
The no try on Coles was harsh... maybe a rough call from what sounded like an aussie TMO? See plenty of those given.
I heard about the yellow card for Jordie and its fair enough if he extends his arm in the tackle but his arm was braced against his body and he pushed the tackler away after the contact. That is a bad call IMO, this is not the kind of tackle this rule was meant to punish. Jordie braced his arm against his body its not his fault if the tackler comes in and hits his braced arm with his neck... Jordie did not extend his forarm to meet the tacklers neck or head that's for sure.

I can't believe Michael Cheika died for this.
At least give Rennie the season to turn things around, Cheika spent a long time ramming icebergs before handing over the keys to the RMS ***anic that is Aussie rugby.

At least give Rennie the season to turn things around, Cheika spent a long time ramming icebergs before handing over the keys to the RMS ***anic that is Aussie rugby.
That was a pure joke haha. I think Leinster fans are the only people in world rugby who love Cheika!

you have to give Rennie and Aussie some time and some games against teams other than the All Blacks.

interesting how they reviewed the tackle on Petaia but not the one on Cane which should have been a card was closer to Red than yellow. That was a nasty hit on Cane, Cane lowered his chin going into the tackle but his body didn't lower, that was always going for his head, if cane didn't lower his chin it would have hit him in the face rather than the top of the head and it was direct shoulder on head. One has to wonder if that will be looked at during the week...

It was a good sign to see him looking OK for the post match interviews I expect Cane to sit the next game out. Or at least I hope he does, its more important they look after him than risk another head knock next weekend.

If Aaron Smith actually played the ball instead of pointing at it and shouting he would be an even better player.

It was him doing that at the breakdown that caused the first Aussie try
This is a summary of Aaron Smith's career.

Looks like Mo'unga had a good game, nice. Was waiting for his form for the Crusaders to appear.

defence was strong by the all blacks, particularly the forwards, Lienert brown of course but we must all know and expect that by now. Sotutu had a good first start. Frizell was very good. Jordie got to play fullback at the end and scored a try because Of it.

so, the wallabies, what is there to say? I think one thing worth mentioning is that the all blacks Have a coaching group which is a succession of the last and that we have depth so you'd expect to see us do well this year After a World Cup when all teams are a bit depleted and Other coach changeS are more drastic. We did well in 2008, 2012, and 2016, if memory serves me. The wallabies are very much rebuilding.

I did fear when Rennie got the gig that he would try and make them play like the chiefs. That is, with skills. But they don't have the same skill set. Kinda like when deans coached them, he took the crusaders philosophy and tried to get the players to play what's in front of them and to come up with tactics themselves, neither of which were things they knew how to do after having a culture that emphasised structure and planning of very specific strategies by coaches like mqueen and Eddie Jones. To be fair on deans his success was hampered by an injury toll that at its worst was probably more than Twice as bad as The next Worse toll in the history Of the international game (I remember counting 15 of their first Choice 22 were injured at one time). Rennie will have to learn that these players are different to the chiefs. The wallabies need to play more Ike Gloucester did under Rennie.

the wallabies need to watch how they were when they were good, because their error rate was a lot lower back then. They need to understand that at test level every single mistake is a bad mistake, you simply must minimise errors at test level.

you have to give Rennie and Aussie some time and some games against teams other than the All Blacks.

interesting how they reviewed the tackle on Petaia but not the one on Cane which should have been a card was closer to Red than yellow. That was a nasty hit on Cane, Cane lowered his chin going into the tackle but his body didn't lower, that was always going for his head, if cane didn't lower his chin it would have hit him in the face rather than the top of the head and it was direct shoulder on head. One has to wonder if that will be looked at during the week...

It was a good sign to see him looking OK for the post match interviews I expect Cane to sit the next game out. Or at least I hope he does, its more important they look after him than risk another head knock next weekend.
There is a mild difference between being tackled and landing into arm (which I think shouldn't have been a yellow against Frizzel or whoever it was) and lowering your own head into their shoulder.... Cane made the tackle dangerous not the Wallaby. He completely lowered his head under his own shoulders. Not exactly much anyone can do when they're trying to tackle a man at chest height and he tilts head head forward below it.

for the next Bledisloe, I would pick
Hodgman. Bower
Aumua. Taylor
Lomax. Laulala
S barrett
Whitelock. Dunshea
A. Ione
Savea
Sotutu. Papalii
Tj. Weber
B Barrett
Jordan
Laumape
Lienert-Brown. Ione
Reece
J Barrett. McKenzie

I guess that this game proved once more that JB's place should be at 15, while Rieko Ioane might become more useful at 14, given the midfield is somehow cemented by ALB/JG/NL.

I would like to see ALB and Reiko in the midfield, Goodhue isn't doing it for me, his move is just to hit it up, he never gets the arms free to start something else...just hit up, we have loosies that could do that, we've got these exciting outside backs that hardly even get it on the end of the normal backline move thats created space

for the next Bledisloe, I would pick
Hodgman. Bower
Aumua. Taylor
Lomax. Laulala
S barrett
Whitelock. Dunshea
A. Ione
Savea
Sotutu. Papalii
Tj. Weber
B Barrett
Jordan
Laumape
Lienert-Brown. Ione
Reece
J Barrett. McKenzie

For the next game I would pick

James Slipper
Brendan Cannon
Taniela Tupou
John Eales
James Horwill
Phil Waugh
George Smith
Harry Wilson
George Gregan
Quade Cooper
Digby Ioane
Matt Giteau
Jordan Petaia
Filipo Daugunu
Chris Latham

One or two might be getting on but they'll answer the call.

There is a mild difference between being tackled and landing into arm (which I think shouldn't have been a yellow against Frizzel or whoever it was) and lowering your own head into their shoulder.... Cane made the tackle dangerous not the Wallaby. He completely lowered his head under his own shoulders. Not exactly much anyone can do when they're trying to tackle a man at chest height and he tilts head head forward below it.
cmon, Cane didn't drop or go lower, he tucked his chin. The shoulder contact the top of canes head, If Cane didn't tuck his chin the tackle would have hit him square in the face (not the chest as you suggest). Cane didn't actually lower his body or drop down, all he did was tuck his chin.

Frizzels tackle was a yellow, the player dropped but it was still too high anyway and the tackler has to give the ball carrier. The tackle on cane was was a hell of a lot worse and cane didn't drop into the tackle

I would like to see ALB and Reiko in the midfield, Goodhue isn't doing it for me, his move is just to hit it up, he never gets the arms free to start something else...just hit up, we have loosies that could do that, we've got these exciting outside backs that hardly even get it on the end of the normal backline move thats created space

Goodhue has made some pretty critical carries and passes in this series so far directly contributing to tries. His work on attack has actually been really good I think you need to go back and have a look. If anything he has missed some tackles, but I'd still rather have him on defense than Ioane.

cmon, Cane didn't drop or go lower, he tucked his chin. The shoulder contact the top of canes head, If Cane didn't tuck his chin the tackle would have hit him square in the face (not the chest as you suggest). Cane didn't actually lower his body or drop down, all he did was tuck his chin.

Frizzels tackle was a yellow, the player dropped but it was still too high anyway and the tackler has to give the ball carrier. The tackle on cane was was a hell of a lot worse and cane didn't drop into the tackle

I disagree on both counts. But at the end of the day who cares we got flogged lol

I think Frizzel was harsh, he was already reasonably low for a slightly above the waist tackle. Then all of a sudden Petaia shrunk a foot and a half in height, nothing he could have done to prevent it from happening.

Sam Cane didn't just tuck his chin, he basically lowered his head nearly completely below his shoulders. It's not exactly a new occurrence for the concussion magnet. I mean I only saw this during the actual game footage. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to go back and watch the game a 2nd time.

I disagree on both counts. But at the end of the day who cares we got flogged lol

I think Frizzel was harsh, he was already reasonably low for a slightly above the waist tackle. Then all of a sudden Petaia shrunk a foot and a half in height, nothing he could have done to prevent it from happening.

Sam Cane didn't just tuck his chin, he basically lowered his head nearly completely below his shoulders. It's not exactly a new occurrence for the concussion magnet. I mean I only saw this during the actual game footage. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to go back and watch the game a 2nd time.

ANSWER THESE QUESTION HONESTLY:
Did same canes body lower at all?

Sam cane without doubt did tuck his chin, if he didn't would the tackle still hit him in the head?

Latest posts