• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

Odd choice, but I'm not mad at it - anything to spice things up in the halfbacks.
Robson will be spewing, though.

Mako back in camp now too - no strong feelings either way over that, I'm more than happy with Genge/Marler

Interesting on RFU site with the squad they also put not available, haven't done hat before. Mitchell is on this list. Same with Hill too glad he's at least in the discussion and he's just injured.
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Alex Moon (Northampton Saints)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints)
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby)

Is Maunder there to do anything more than hold tackle bags, though? But yeah, great to see another 9 in the setup either way.

I reckon he'll go Mako-Genge, but I'm not sure whether Williams or Stuart gets the bench spot on the other side. It's hard to get a read on Stuart from his 18 minutes of game time, so I'd like to see more of him.

Potential for an actual back row of Curry, Underhill, Wilson, so I'm 70% sure Eddie won't pick it. Pretty sure Wilson makes the bench if he doesn't start, though.

In the backs, I guess we're looking at May-Watson-Daly. But if he backs Furbank, and presumably starts Tuilagi, then you've got JJ, Daly and Slade fighting for potentially just one shirt (if 6-2).

Pretty hard to call an EJ selection at the best of times, but the bench looks particularly hotly contested this time, especially for the backs

Maunder might be in because he plays like the Welsh scrum-halves they'll facing? They did something similar by training with a Japanese scrum-half (forget the name) at the WC.

I'd rather he was in to compete for a spot, but I'm not ready to be hurt again and believe that.

We don't need to go 6-2 v Wales. Their pack ain't the Boks.

Good to see Watson back.

Good to see Wilson back. Good player, it would be ridiculous not to start him at 8 with Curryhill flanking.

Good to see Wilson back. Good player, it would be ridiculous not to start him at 8 with Curryhill flanking.
Depends. If Eddie is genuine in thinking that 8 could be Curry's best position (no more ridiculous than thinking 8 could be SSimmonds' best position), then it would be ridiculous to give up in the experiment after only 3 matches.

Of course, it could just be that he wanted to see how we went that way, rather than call up Morgan/Hughes/Harrison/Simmonds (all of whom have been seen and rejected) - in which case, Wilson goes straight in at 8. It goes without saying that the latter would be my preference.

Apparently Mako is in self-isolation as his flight back from Tonga went through Hong Kong. I imagine he won't feature on the weekend.

Definitely out this week, likely to be out vs Italy as well according to the Beeb

No symptoms, just a precaution due to the layover in Hong Kong

27 retained by England

Forwards

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Ben Earl (Saracens)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Mark Wilson (Sale Sharks)

Backs
Elliot Daly (Saracens)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints)
Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

So, given there is no more England rugby now until the Barbarians, is it too early to talk about the potential England squad for the summer? No? Good, then I'll begin. :)

Eddie has said he will rest his WC players, but recently said he might take his Sarries in order to get them some quality games away from the Championship. Frankly, I think he's jesting, and there are player welfare rules that might get in his way in any case. However, I do think he'll take the WC players who didn't play many games (injuries permitting), and I think there'll be a few veterans in there rather than an out-and-out youth side. So, with my limited knowledge of Premiership games (terrestrial TV highlights shows), together with previous squads and internet chat, who's in contention?

LH: Ellis Genge, Beno Obano, Alec Hepburn, Ben Moon, Val Rapava-Ruskin
H: Jack Singleton, Alfie Barbeary, Tommy Taylor, Tom Dunn
TH: Will Collier, Joe Heyes, Paul Hill, Ehren Painter, Josh Ibuanokpe, Nick Schonert, Will Stuart, Harry Williams, Marcus Street
L: Alex Moon, Nick Isiekwe, Joel Kpoku, Joe Launchbury, Charlie Ewels, Elliot Stooke, Johnny Hill
FL: Lewis Ludlam, Ben Curry (surely!), Mark Wilson (captain?), Jack Willis, Brad Shields, Ted Hill, Matt Kvesic
N8: Alex Dombrandt (we hope!), Zach Mercer, Sam Simmonds
SH: Ben White, Henry Taylor, Alex Mitchell, Ben Spencer, Dan Robson, Harry Randall, Jack Maunder
FH: Marcus Smith, James Grayson, Jacob Umaga, Callum Sheedy, Manu Vunipola
C: Piers Francis, Fraser Dingwall, Alex Lozowski, Ollie Lawrence, Cameron Redpath, Ollie Devoto
W: Gabriel Ibitoye, Chris Ashton, Marland Yarde(?), Ben Earl(!), Rotimi Segun, Ruaridh McConnochie, Ollie Thorley
FB: George Furbank, Max Malins

Given that most people on this board have a better knowledge of the Premiership than me, who have I missed?

If (/when) Redpath goes over either of the James brothers I'm gonna spew. Luke, especially, cause he can cover 15 (though Sam has started at 10/12/13/15 in the past)

I don't think Ashton will go - too old
I don't think Marland will either - he's getting back into good form but there's younger/better players and I think he's been in and out of the squad too much to make a real run now (as in they've seen what he can do first hand but haven't shown much interest in it)

I don't watch almost any prem rugby. Whats Curry's twin like? A few years back they were both pegged as future internationals. Now one is a probable lion and the other doesn't get in the England squad.

As good tbh,
Slightly different player (bit better at the breakdown, but a touch smaller/less powerful in contact - though still punches above his weight).
Hopefully gets a look in over the summer but wouldn't surprise me if they look at Earl or Willis over him as he's too similar to his brother and they want different options

Easily good enough for international rugby, though

So, given there is no more England rugby now until the Barbarians, is it too early to talk about the potential England squad for the summer? No? Good, then I'll begin. :)

Eddie has said he will rest his WC players, but recently said he might take his Sarries in order to get them some quality games away from the Championship. Frankly, I think he's jesting, and there are player welfare rules that might get in his way in any case. However, I do think he'll take the WC players who didn't play many games (injuries permitting), and I think there'll be a few veterans in there rather than an out-and-out youth side. So, with my limited knowledge of Premiership games (terrestrial TV highlights shows), together with previous squads and internet chat, who's in contention?

TH: Will Collier, Joe Heyes, Paul Hill, Ehren Painter, Josh Ibuanokpe, Nick Schonert, Will Stuart, Harry Williams, Marcus Street
L: Alex Moon, Nick Isiekwe, Joel Kpoku, Joe Launchbury, Charlie Ewels, Elliot Stooke, Johnny Hill
FL: Lewis Ludlam, Ben Curry (surely!), Mark Wilson (captain?), Jack Willis, Brad Shields, Ted Hill, Matt Kvesic
SH: Ben White, Henry Taylor, Alex Mitchell, Ben Spencer, Dan Robson, Harry Randall, Jack Maunder
C: Piers Francis, Fraser Dingwall, Alex Lozowski, Ollie Lawrence, Cameron Redpath, Ollie Devoto
W: Gabriel Ibitoye, Chris Ashton, Marland Yarde(?), Ben Earl(!), Rotimi Segun, Ruaridh McConnochie, Ollie Thorley

Given that most people on this board have a better knowledge of the Premiership than me, who have I missed?

I don't want to appear Excentric but I'd have Joe Simmonds ahead of all those No 10s and Tom O'Flaherty ahead of all the wings apart from maybe Thorley.

Not arguing against Simmonds but Smith does well even behind a pack that's often under the pump, plus has an international match plus experience in camp.

Umaga's inclusion in this camp was baffling.

Not arguing against Simmonds but Smith does well even behind a pack that's often under the pump, plus has an international match plus experience in camp.

Umaga's inclusion in this camp was baffling.
Whether a game against a team of drunk Barbarians can be called an international match is very debatable.

Some interesting/strange inclusions there.

Alfie Barbeary has a lot of hype around him but he's not yet played a senior game for Wasps and is currently injured while on loan at Nottingham. Eddie makes some strange decisions but that would be an extremely left field choice.

When Ibuanopke left Quins, I had a slight fear that Saracens might somehow unlock talent we hadn't seen, but all the evidence so far suggests that he's similarly underwhelming there too. Tighthead is a tricky position to pick. I'm pleased to see Stuart coming through as I think he's better than Williams. Collier and Schonert aren't good enough and it's probably too soon for Painter, Street or Heyes.

Ben Earl is somehow listed as a winger rather than a flanker?

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Piers Francis retire. Sadly, he seems permanently concussed and even if he's fit, he's not that great. I agree Flobalob re. Simmonds and O'Flaherty (yes) and Olyy re. Ashton and Yarde (no).

As for others not mentioned, I'd put the following in the mix:

Joe Marchant (centre)
Harry Mallinder (fullback/centre)
Ben Loader (wing/fullback)
Ollie Hassell-Collins (wing)

Alfie Barbeary has a lot of hype around him but he's not yet played a senior game for Wasps and is currently injured while on loan at Nottingham. Eddie makes some strange decisions but that would be an extremely left field choice.

When Ibuanopke left Quins, I had a slight fear that Saracens might somehow unlock talent we hadn't seen, but all the evidence so far suggests that he's similarly underwhelming there too. Tighthead is a tricky position to pick. I'm pleased to see Stuart coming through as I think he's better than Williams. Collier and Schonert aren't good enough and it's probably too soon for Painter, Street or Heyes.

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Piers Francis retire. Sadly, he seems permanently concussed and even if he's fit, he's not that great. I agree Flobalob re. Simmonds and O'Flaherty (yes) and Olyy re. Ashton and Yarde (no).

Joe Marchant (centre)

Don't mention the HM name round here...

He got stepped by Dave ward, amongst other sins

As good tbh,
Slightly different player (bit better at the breakdown, but a touch smaller/less powerful in contact - though still punches above his weight).
Hopefully gets a look in over the summer but wouldn't surprise me if they look at Earl or Willis over him as he's too similar to his brother and they want different options

Easily good enough for international rugby, though

I'm sure I've seen Ben in Premiership games playing hooker occasionally, as well as doing some nice attacking kicking. It does seem that Eddie only wants one Curry though. Ben was in the starting XV for the Barbarians a couple of years back with Tom on the bench. Then Ben got injured in the warm-up, Tom replaced him, got MOTM and has been picked pretty much ever since, while Ben has not had another shot. Very strange. :confused:

Joe Marchant (centre)

As you say, Barbeary has something of a hype train, and even has a youtube highlights video showing him bowling people over. Eddie often makes picks of young players that he thinks have the potential to be great, even if they haven't shown alot as yet. Like Umaga. So I included those players, Kpoku, for example, and some obscure Quins bloke named Dombrandt. ;)

Schonert is an interesting one. He has been picked in several Eddie squads over the years, but always seems to end up being injured in camp before he can be selected. Given that Eddie keeps going back to him and we have a Saffer as a forwards coach, well, who knows?

Of course Ben Earl is listed as a winger. Where else would he play?:p

I assumed Marchant would still be in Super Rugby come the summer tours. Don't think SR finishes until June or something (could be wrong).

Latest posts