• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (23/02/20)

I totally agree they played with great intensity but only in the first half and only when they seem to be the alone team on the pitch... and it was very simple and not entertaining at all... Wales beaten by France have seemed more convincing IMHO... English lost their "way" in the second half and were lucky that Irish played only by moments in second half... I have seen a poor match, enjoying only 25 minutes in first half, where the "rosbifs" ( :D ) did a very direct and very simple game at fast speed, but with no flair at all... In the last 10 years, I have appreciated the english team much more than in this match...

Having "flair", whatever that even means (a term used to excuse a decade of Inexcusable French underperformance possibly) doesn't mean a team has played well or has an impressive game plan. I imagine you' doing know that being a French fan.

Infact France have hugely simplified their game. Kicking for territory instead of relying on "flair" and that is why they are doing better.

( However I genuinely believe France will lose their last two games)

I was looking back over this and England were actually pretty lucky. I think we still would have won but our first 2 tries could have been disallowed. May was in touch for the kick that he appeared to keep in play that then indirectly led to the first try and Daly actually knocked on the second. England were on top in the first half and for part of the 2nd half so may have found another way but we got away with it there.

Having "flair", whatever that even means (a term used to excuse a decade of Inexcusable French underperformance possibly) doesn't mean a team has played well or has an impressive game plan. I imagine you' doing know that being a French fan.

Infact France have hugely simplified their game. Kicking for territory instead of relying on "flair" and that is why they are doing better.

( However I genuinely believe France will lose their last two games)

French didn't underperform... they hadn't a great bunch of players and weren't at the level, simply that. You underperform when you have the best players, France hadn't the players. And France didn't play with "flair" since the arrival of Laporte in the beginning of 2000's...

England have many great players, they underperformed a little against Ireland, but fortunately Ireland has done her worst match of the last 3 years... I have never seen the pair Sexton-Murray that bad and it's a long time they are in this irish squad...

I was looking back over this and England were actually pretty lucky. I think we still would have won but our first 2 tries could have been disallowed. May was in touch for the kick that he appeared to keep in play that then indirectly led to the first try and Daly actually knocked on the second. England were on top in the first half and for part of the 2nd half so may have found another way but we got away with it there.

I can see where you're coming from with May's foot, but what are you talking about with Daly? Just looks like a really solid grounding.

I can see where you're coming from with May's foot, but what are you talking about with Daly? Just looks like a really solid grounding.

If you watch it carefully you can see the ball comes fully away from Daly's hand before he grounds it. TBH I'm surprised that one stayed as I saw it clear as day live.

French didn't underperform... they hadn't a great bunch of players and weren't at the level, simply that. You underperform when you have the best players, France hadn't the players. And Fr
ance didn't play with "flair" since the arrival of Laporte in the beginning of 2000's...

England have many great players, they underperformed a little against Ireland, but fortunately Ireland has done her worst match of the last 3 years... I have never seen the pair Sexton-Murray that bad and it's a long time they are in this irish squad...

I'm sorry but saying France simply haven't had any good players for the past 10 years until now is absolute nonsense! You had waves of quality players that simply underperformed.

Take this team from the 2016 tournament vs Italy. Lost EVERY game apart from beating Italy at home by 2 points. It was full of quality players, but underperformed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 17.35.47.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 17.35.47.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
I'm sorry but saying France simply haven't had any good players for the past 10 years until now is absolute nonsense! You had waves of quality players that simply underperformed.

Take this team from the 2016 tournament vs Italy. Lost EVERY game apart from beating Italy at home by 2 points. It was full of quality players, but underperformed.
I don't agree that France had bad players for 10 years but that team is shocking and the current one probably is their strongest since the slam winners/WC finalists.

I doubt this French team would have won slams in the last four years but they'd probably have stopped the last two by winning at home, and they'll only improve.

I don't agree that France had bad players for 10 years but that team is shocking and the current one probably is their strongest since the slam winners/WC finalists.

I doubt this French team would have won slams in the last four years but they'd probably have stopped the last two by winning at home, and they'll only improve.

I literally Googled 6 nations 2016 and looked at the team vs Italy. Yes, it's not the greatest French team by a country mile, but only winning to Italy and losing to all other teams. That's a team that should atleast been competitive. As, I'd argue most French teams over the last 10 years also should have been.

Re. Your 2nd point. Agreed. This current team is far superior and so is the coaching it seems.

Just massively disagree with the notion that it's due to the player base alone that France have been so poor for so long. It's utter nonsense.

France also beat Ireland in 2016 by one point, mostly by injuring all the latter's players!

EDIT: Oh you mean the U20s? Sorry!

Latest posts