• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (23/02/20)

I'll be supporting Ireland this weekend, hope England get smashed to teach the RFU not to let Jones continued arrogance go unchallenged!

Where is the assistant coach saying
'Hey Eddie, Lawes always plays poorly at 6, why not play curry there and Earl at 8 who looked good when he came on previously'

We are missing common sense ffs.

:)

I was disapointed by this match... They had told us that was top 2 against top 4 in the world. I was hoping a great game... huh... irish didn't play in first half... Then when they begin to remember that the famous expression "fighting spirit" was for Ireland, English played pretty "averagely" ... A match to forget for both teams... Sexton-Murray had a black day, they choked incredibly. If I had paid to be in the crowd, I would have asked my money back.
Someone can tell to Jaco Peyper that it's not sufficient nor useful to take photos with Welsh supporters after a poor referring performance, and that there is an area which needs clear direction : the scrum. How can he let this area in total disarray. It's the worst awful performance I saw in this area. it's absolutely abnormal the low level of the scrum from both part, and referee here has a big responsibility. It was far from the standard we can expect at this international level. In french top 14, referee would have warned the two scrum teams, then at the following joking (or pathetic, pick the adjective which suits you the best, or both even) scrum, he would have given 2 yellow cards one for each team. 6 minutes for a scrum without a single broken arm nor a penalty ... yuck !
Hope that both teams will play rugby next time. Fortunately, England about 15 minutes of decent rugby in first half, because only God knows what would have happened from this "bouillie" of rugby.

The drawback to french playing well for the first time in a decade is not being able to have a snide comment ready for that ^

what a poor comment... I have been far harsher on the froggies when they were super poors during a decade... even when they were winning... Can you honestly justify that way, the poor level rugby between England and ireland ???

He's(?) not wrong though. :)

Yes "he"... Not sure I was right.. . but I told my feelings... I prefer to see foolishness in rugby with poor defense but teams trying their best... today, it's like they were trying their worst.

Ireland played correctly against Wales only, they were poor over scotland and very poor over England... maybe it can explain that England just played the necessary level to win it. BUT I am pretty sure England and Ireland can do FAR better. Let's hope Irish won't up their game against France ;) :D

Yes "he"... Not sure I was right.. .but I told my feelings... I prtefer to see foolishness in rugby with poor defense but teams trying their best... today, it'"s like they were trying their worst.
You summed up the match quite well, it's good to have the input from a neutral. My thoughts are very similar to yours, for the record. I'm not so fussed about the referee today, was not great for either but seen far worse performances... Eddie Jones will be vindicated yet huge and obvious problems remain and Ireland need to bring in the playing changes sooner rather than later.

I don't think Ireland are in as bad of a place as will be protrayed after this game. They looked flat starting this game and then simply struggled to get a foothold - which is the whole principal of the pressure-territory gameplan. Just look at how ragged England looked against the Saffers, or NZ against England etc., as soon as the game starts slipping away it's so hard to stem the tide. I think England executed this well with a dominant set piece and smart kicking able to keep the pressure on and force mistakes out of a slightly floudering opposition.

I thought our front row looked very good in the tight and loose, and the fitness of Genge, George and Sinkler is immense. It will be interesting to see who EJ goes with at loosehead when Mako comes back.
Itoje played his usual game of just being a massive pain in the arse for Ireland, which I think he is kind of given free reign to do. Kruis looked a little rattled and gave away some pretty average penalties but he called the lineout well and hit a lot of rucks, I think Launch was brought on at the right time or could have even come on a bit sooner as he played well.
Lawes stepped up big time at 6 for me. Carried very well, got around the pitch a lot, seemed to be hitting a lot more rucks on both sides of the ball and took a lot of good ball at the lineout. Deserved MoM imo.
Curry and Underhill were a brutal as usual. I was a bit baffled by Ewels coming on with seemingly no idea if he was at 6 or 8 but he played well, as did Earl - though both were a little invisible to me.
Youngs apparently swapped skins with Murray and had a really good game. If he carries on like that then I take back all my doubt in him.
Ford and Farrell played very well together, especially with Manu (who had a great game) straightening up more like a 12 generating a lot of space out the back for Daly and Farrell to distribute from.
Daly looked comfortable at fullback which really surprised me - though that may largely be due to the poor kicking from Murray and Sexton not putting as much pressure on him as they might.
Joseph didn't particularly look out of place on the wing, especially as he wasn't used to drop back much - with Ford doing a lot of that work I believe. I still don't think he should be on the wing but he did well. May is proper class now I think, I don't remember him having a bad game in quite some time - his decision making seems to have improved and he isn't as afraid of contact.

I think this game was a good confidence boost for England which was much needed. I think they need to trim down the penalties a little bit, regardless of how you see the refereeing - you have to adapt and if you are closing out a game you need to be clinical, and adapting on the fly has long been a bit of an achilies heel for this team. Still a lot of improvement to be made but a good performance.

You summed up the match quite well, it's good to have the input from a neutral. My thoughts are very similar to yours, for the record. I'm not so fussed about the referee today, was not great for either but seen far worse performances... Eddie Jones will be vindicated yet huge and obvious problems remain and Ireland need to bring in the playing changes sooner rather than later.

I think Peyper was pretty average, not forcely bad (he has put his referring at the level of the both teams, I suppose), but had a day off about the scrum... I wanted to point it out. And, I apologise if my english is not that perfect, but hey, it's not my native and it's a bit rusty, I used it more when I was serving in Germany.

I don't think Ireland are in as bad of a place as will be protrayed after this game. They looked flat starting this game and then simply struggled to get a foothold - which is the whole principal of the pressure-territory gameplan. Just look at how ragged England looked against the Saffers, or NZ against England etc., as soon as the game starts slipping away it's so hard to stem the tide. I think England executed this well with a dominant set piece and smart kicking able to keep the pressure on and force mistakes out of a slightly floudering opposition.

I agree there, it was also overly visible due to Sexton-Murray total choking for most part of the game. After about 60 times of playing together, i had expected both players to played far better. In the past, Sexton have alone saved irish from a promised defeat (I remember a certain victory over a poor french side in the end of a poor match).

I thought our front row looked very good in the tight and loose, and the fitness of Genge, George and Sinkler is immense. It will be interesting to see who EJ goes with at loosehead when Mako comes back.
Itoje played his usual game of just being a massive pain in the arse for Ireland, which I think he is kind of given free reign to do. Kruis looked a little rattled and gave away some pretty average penalties but he called the lineout well and hit a lot of rucks, I think Launch was brought on at the right time or could have even come on a bit sooner as he played well.
Lawes stepped up big time at 6 for me. Carried very well, got around the pitch a lot, seemed to be hitting a lot more rucks on both sides of the ball and took a lot of good ball at the lineout. Deserved MoM imo.
Curry and Underhill were a brutal as usual. I was a bit baffled by Ewels coming on with seemingly no idea if he was at 6 or 8 but he played well, as did Earl - though both were a little invisible to me.
Youngs apparently swapped skins with Murray and had a really good game. If he carries on like that then I take back all my doubt in him.
Ford and Farrell played very well together, especially with Manu (who had a great game) straightening up more like a 12 generating a lot of space out the back for Daly and Farrell to distribute from.
Daly looked comfortable at fullback which really surprised me - though that may largely be due to the poor kicking from Murray and Sexton not putting as much pressure on him as they might.
Joseph didn't particularly look out of place on the wing, especially as he wasn't used to drop back much - with Ford doing a lot of that work I believe. I still don't think he should be on the wing but he did well. May is proper class now I think, I don't remember him having a bad game in quite some time - his decision making seems to have improved and he isn't as afraid of contact.

I think this game was a good confidence boost for England which was much needed. I think they need to trim down the penalties a little bit, regardless of how you see the refereeing - you have to adapt and if you are closing out a game you need to be clinical, and adapting on the fly has long been a bit of an achilies heel for this team. Still a lot of improvement to be made but a good performance.

I will be more severe with the front five than you are... especially the first line. Genge has been far better before that match. I find it good by moments, but erratic and not constant. George and Sinkler did great many things in tight and loose, but not all, they failed one or 2 times. in scrum, I already told my mind : it was not worthy on both sides.
At least, a good victory for England, for the Morale, winning easily after a poor work is only good for that.

Whats your thoughts on the incident? As an innocent in all this?
I mentioned it above but I thought CJ was actually hitting Farrell's arm, which was wrapped (ironically given its owner) around the thigh. It 'looked' bad as from a distance it just looked like an upright Irish forward continuously pummelling a downed English back to the stomach but in reality it was just a guy hitting the arm of someone who wouldn't let release his leg.

CJ will get cited I think, it looked like a punch on itoje in the first half and did he not start something after the 40 min whistle too?

Unless Farrell has had his arm surgically moved to his stomach/hip, then he wasn't getting hit in the arm

ezgif-7-c95f612f3fdb.gif

Red would be harsh, I agree with that on second viewing (live I thought it was to the head), but saying that's play on and only penalising the holding on is mental

Latest posts