• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England vs Wales (07/03/20)

Now that this thread has calmed down a bit, and I've sobered up - here's my 2 pence on England (which admittedly is worth about as much as if it were venezuelen)

England came out in the first half and executed well the classic EJ game plan. Defended hard, attacked heavy through the middle before looking to go out wide, kicked well from hand, built a score early, backed their scrum (which was absolutely dominant) and lineout - controlled the game. Wales just seemed to struggle to get a foothold, which is the whole ethos of this type of gameplan (see WC final...). Then the apparent achilles heel kicked in in the second half after the brilliant wales try, to which they seemed to fall flat after and then the game sort of divulged into chaos as the half went on - and Wales stepped up and rallied to close the gap.

I see a lot of people complaining here and elsewhere about England being offside. Which they were. To which I have a couple of points. Firstly is you are repeatedly seeing the opposition offside, is AWJ doing enough to kindly remind the ref? If offsides aren't being called, then why aren't Wales adapting and capitilising as well in defence? England have now adopted this partial extreme rush defence where they try to slow the breakdown right down and limit the attacks options while keeping their discipline at the offside line and breakdown, when they see a predictable carry off 9 or wide play off 10 coming the call goes out to get off the line (if they ever even got behind it) and smash at all costs and try and effect the turnover - and if the ball goes outside 10 then push up and out even further and try to snag the isolated ball carrier behind the gainline. Itoje, Wilson, Underhill, Earl and Curry seem to have been given licence to flirt with the offsides when this is called and take a risk of missing the tackle on the chance that they stop the attack dead and win the ball back. It is a calculated risk, that is paying off. They did the same thing to Ireland and Wales should have predicted in their match reviews and been prepared. Something like a dart from 9 to check the defence, a well placed chip through to find grass and pressure the sweeper or runners coming through on the inside shoulder of 12 or 13 to force the missed tackle and scramble defence - instead Biggar was looking up at a wall of white shutting him down and just shipping it wider and deeper away from support, which is exactly what England are trying to achieve.

I would have liked to see more varitation in reciever at the lineout from England, who seem to be overreliant on Lawes taking most of the ball - which Wales spotted and switched to man marking him rather than their typical zonal type defensive lineout. Perhaps this is EJ trying to groom Lawes to be the lineout caller when Kruis head off to Japan.

A lot has been said (by myself included) about the carrying balance of the backrow, but interestingly for this 6N (except for France) EJ has changed up the way he uses Underhill and Curry (and in this case Wilson) in open play. Off 9 it often one of them that leads the point of the pod, where before it would have been Mako or Sinks usually, allowing them to bring the heavy carriers onto the ball at pace, or pivot pass out of the back, where the other is often running a hard line in a pod of 2 with Manu at the hinge of the defence off of Faz at 12.

On the Marler incident - whether you like it or not, at international level you are an ambassador and role model of the sport which is televised to kids and everything else. No place for it. I laughed when I saw it in the pub along with everyone else but I won't be annoyed if he gets cited looking back on it now. I get that they are mates, and if this were a sunday league game then it might be different - but its not. I'm not personally too bothered, and I like Marler - but he will have to take any consequences on this chin.

I thought in the second half the ref was pinging Wngland for a lot of things that he wasn't for Wales - but I'm not too bothered. England have often let their discipline slip when they are ahead and not adapted to referees, this is just another example and it desperately needs cleaning up. This is what cost England in the second half, not the ref in my opinion.

The Manu red could have been a yellow in a different game but realistically it probably was a red. Yes North was dipping massively into the tackle because of Slade and in real time I don't think Manu could have reacted. That being said it was a no arms tackle with contact to the head on a player about to score a try. You can see by Manu's reaction to seeing it on the big screen that he knew it was probably fair. I hope North is alright and the Wales set up look after him properly.

Curry being tipped on his head at the ruck was reckless and could have been a yellow but most likely a penalty. I thought Genge's yellow was fair, especially considering the repeated infringements.

All in all, what was all set to be a cracking game has now gone slightly stale - along with the rest of the tournament due to the cancellations - but oh well. A good fight back from Wales but ultimately wasn't quite enough - already looking forward to Cardiff next year.

I hate rugby's attitude that players shouldn't say a word to a referee. It leads to referees who won't let players talk to them in any manner, polite or otherwise, and as a result miss loads and are just generally shite.

We clearly have a problem with refereeing in the sport and the same people who are quick to call refs **** also think only captains should say a word to them. North alerted the referee of dangerous play that we want to stamp out of the game, his motive isn't to make the game safer but who cares if that's the effect it will have?

it's also ridiculous that we put a huge amount of pressure on these players (financial and social) and these hyper-competitve athletes are supposed to keep their mouth shut when they feel they've been ****** over. It's not the amateur days where they go back to work on monday. If guys perform poorly, they might not have a job on monday.

I do agree that there should be time and scope to players talking to referees however. If ball is live players shouldn't be trying to have conversations and there is no need to scream. Players whinging isn't a real concern cause it's usually just a display of frustration. Don't want to turn to football with 10 players going over to the referee as that just wastes everyone's time.

it's also ridiculous that we put a huge amount of pressure on these players (financial and social) and these hyper-competitve athletes are supposed to keep their mouth shut when they feel they've been ****** over. It's not the amateur days where they go back to work on monday. If guys perform poorly, they might not have a job on monday.

I do agree that there should be time and scope to players talking to referees however. If ball is live players shouldn't be trying to have conversations and there is no need to scream. Players whinging isn't a real concern cause it's usually just a display of frustration. Don't want to turn to football with 10 players going over to the referee as that just wastes everyone's time.
Oh yeah, I don't ever think the ref should be anything but an authority but making queries and even pointing things out during play shouldn't be frowned upon if done respectfully.

Oh yeah, I don't ever think the ref should be anything but an authority but making queries and even pointing things out during play shouldn't be frowned upon if done respectfully.

This is the rub for me. Biggar was the most obvious example last week, but there's definitely a general creep overall, of players feeling like they can influence the officials (and the crowd, which is important) by throwing a tantrum. The respect is often absent.

Can we add a poll to this thread please?

Which aspect of the referee's performance will the Welsh blame for any defeat:
  1. Breakdown
  2. Scrum
  3. Maul
  4. Offside
  5. All of the above

The winner gets a tin of Jeyes Fluid*.

*might not be true.

Whilst mildly amusing before the game, quite funny how it's the English who have moaned like f*** in victory :p
No grace in this beautiful game anymore.

As for EJ ramblings in the post match press conf "13 against 16" etc.... That's not the way to get officials on your side you daft plank!

As for EJ ramblings in the post match press conf "13 against 16" etc.... That's not the way to get officials on your side you daft plank!
Just crass, but that's what you get with him.

He's a good coach, but not a great coach. We've played some great stuff under him and some utter garbage. Really don't care if he stays or goes.

If he does go, who is there that is available that realistically will replace him?

If you enjoyed Eddie's relationship with the press then you ain't seen nothing yet
images

Isn't Baxter (probably not going to happen) like the only real legit English option? Everyone else hasn't really earnt their stripes and will feel like a step down from EJ in terms of proven quality.

It should be done through the captain.

Referees should be quicker to penalise it IMO.

A penalty for someone screaming at the referee early in the match would very quickly shut a few mouths up.

Isn't Baxter (probably not going to happen) like the only real legit English option? Everyone else hasn't really earnt their stripes and will feel like a step down from EJ in terms of proven quality.
Baxter definitely the best of the English, but I don't think he'd work out - don't think he'd have enough time with the players to implement his culture/style

Baxter definitely the best of the English, but I don't think he'd work out - don't think he'd have enough time with the players to implement his culture/style
Unless or until Baxter broadens his horizons outside Exeter city limits he shouldn't be in the equation.

Didn't Dimes get Russia qualified for the RWC?

Unless or until Baxter broadens his horizons outside Exeter city limits he shouldn't be in the equation.
Why should he? I mean this in all seriousness what has he got to prove? From here on out if he leaves Exeter he's only going to get a job with more resources at his disposal rather than less. You could argue he needs international setup experience but he's never going to take an assistant role with his credentials and all other jobs are likely too low profile or directly competing against England. He's only ever going to get promoted to the England role or he'll stay at Exeter for good.

The only two reasons I don't see him leaving Exeter is wants the European honours and he won't get the autonomy he would like from the RFU.

Why should he? I mean this in all seriousness what has he got to prove? From here on out if he leaves Exeter he's only going to get a job with more resources at his disposal rather than less. You could argue he needs international setup experience but he's never going to take an assistant role with his credentials and all other jobs are likely too low profile or directly competing against England. He's only ever going to get promoted to the England role or he'll stay at Exeter for good.

The only two reasons I don't see him leaving Exeter is wants the European honours and he won't get the autonomy he would like from the RFU.
Coaching at club and international level are entirely different skill sets for one. All he knows is Exeter and what works there, what's he like when the going gets a bit choppier, has he the skills for instance to turn around Tigers? Eng is a job with big pressure and big scrutiny and we don't have the faintest idea about how he'd react outside his comfort zone.

International experience as a player isn't a prerequisite, but he's not got that to draw on either. When Jones came in the players' default settings would have been respect due to his wide experience and achievements. I don't think they'd view Baxter the same way.

Most really successful people try things and usually rack up a failure or 2 on the way from which they learn and emerge more rounded. Is he just loyal or does he not totally back his abilities elsewhere?

I'm full of admiration for what he's done at Chiefs and for all I know he doesn't have any international ambitions. But if he does, gaining some wider experience would only benefit him.

In contrast I could totally see Mark McCall in the international game.

Why should he? I mean this in all seriousness what has he got to prove?
IMO:
He's got to prove that he can do it with a new group of players (as opposed to players he's had for many years)
He's got to prove that he can do it with a relatively quick turnaround (as opposed to a 10 year lead-time)
He's got to prove tactically adaptable (as opposed to having 7 huge forwards with 1 pretty much perfect tactic)
He's got to prove that he can take top level talent, and get the best out of them (as opposed to getting the best out of mid-level players; and failing to get the best out of his best players - or even playing them in their best positions)

I'd far rather he prove that he can do what he does when he only has 10 weeks a year with the players (so lower level international experience; whether with a lower level team, or a lower level job at a top team).

He's a good coach, and brilliant at Premiership level - but he's not shown any X-factor, he's not shown any ability to think outside the box, he's failed to get the best out of his X-factor players

Latest posts