• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England vs Wales (07/03/20)

An utterly dominant 3 point win. Happy with that regardless of the last 5 mins shennanigans. On the key talking points. Yes red card and no Marler shouldn't be fondling.

Really good peformance from England overall. Not so much from Mr O'Keefe, but I don't expect anything from him.

AWJ said:
My question is that it's difficult as a captain these days to speak to a referee about anything.
Doesn't seem like it's difficult for you Alun.

Totally agree with this. Initially I was saying it is no way a red, but the more I watched the more I thought it was - under the current laws/rules (which aren't likely to change). However, I do feel that the laws/rules ( i don't know the difference, sorry. I know some people get very worked up about it!) don't allow enough for mitigating circumstances enough.

I do, however, agree with the sentiment that North should have had a HIA after that. I was under the impression that any contact to the head required an HIA? Not that it would have made any difference to the end result. But with North wales do appear to be walking a dangerous and potentially worrying line.

Anyway...

Good win in a brutal game! Well done by both teams, particularly in the second half. I was happy also to see that there was relatively little screaming at the ref as well.

Also, that try by Wales to start the second half was beautiful.
Agreed
Manu's was a red that Could have been lowered to yellow on mitigation, but not SHould.

As for HIAs, it's a real bugbear. The point of an HIA is not to only test those you thinknhave been concussed, but to assess the severity of ANY head injury.
That's why it's called a Head Injury Assessment, not a Concussion Test Protocol.

The fact that's he's got his eyes shut does him no favours...

So, can anyone more familiar with the laws (So, anyone basically) explain why this was no more than a penalty?

HP tackle.png

He seems to make shoulder to head contact, and yet wasn't even looked at.

Well hes clearly wrapping his arms for starters and hasn't led with a shoulder. You have to remember most is really about not hitting someone with a lowered arm with your shoulder which creates dense impact area with force. Stills are a terrible way to judge things.

But still as with all moaning in this thread, sometimes the ref misses stuff.

Well yes, the refs do miss stuff. But that's generally when the TMO steps in.

Stills don't tell the whole story, but I just got watched it back and it looks to me like he's gone for the big shot, messed up and thrown his shoulder and head into Tuilagi before his arms wrap.

For me, not a lot different than a lot of Farrells tackles that people were baying for blood over.

Anyone know how citings and bans etc work these days? They could be pretty busy after that match. Lots going on, from both teams.

Manu definitely a red, not a ban in my view.

WTF was Marler up to?!

Anyone know how citings and bans etc work these days? They could be pretty busy after that match. Lots going on, from both teams.

WTF was Marler up to?!
The best bit about the Marler incident was the quote on TV from Gareth Thomas. It was priceless.

WTF was Marler up to?!
I doubt even he knows, but the Welsh do seem to bring out the worst in him.

From what you could see it looked more designed to wind up than to hurt. Probably the saddest indictment on the modern game was that Jones just stood there like a lemon and didn't wallop Marler. That Jones has said he was able, in the moment, to rationalise that retaliating would have seen him carded suggests that it was something of nothing. But it was dense and Marler can expect some form of sanction.

WTF was Marler up to?!
Think Manu will definitely get banned, red card is automatic citing plus he's got a long rap sheet plus they're trying to crack down on high tackles (unless they're against certain, white shirted, countries that is)

The fact that's he's got his eyes shut does him no favours...

So, can anyone more familiar with the laws (So, anyone basically) explain why this was no more than a penalty?

View attachment 8110

He seems to make shoulder to head contact, and yet wasn't even looked at.

high-tackle-v2-en.png

Never mind shoulder, tackler's head counts as high.

Also it looks like mitigation should have applied to Manu IMO given the sudden drop in speed and height of North. Am I misremembering that someone on red coms yesterday said as it's a shoulder charge they can't apply mitigation? That isn't true.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines

Well hes clearly wrapping his arms for starters and hasn't led with a shoulder. You have to remember most is really about not hitting someone with a lowered arm with your shoulder which creates dense impact area with force. Stills are a terrible way to judge things.

But still as with all moaning in this thread, sometimes the ref misses stuff.

interesting they didn't miss many opportunities to issue England with cards and yet didn't even review multiple potential card worthy Welsh incidents.

At risk of sounding like a ref complainer but this is a genuine question, had there ever been an England game with jonker as tmo where he has come even close to even handed in his interventions. It's less that he makes the wing decisions but will micro analyse and intervene even in areas he isn't supposed to against England but I've never seen him do the same in our favour. He's always called out how our tried should be disallowed but let some very easy cases where opposition tries should have been just slip through. I also remember him pestering the ref to try to get England players carded and also trying to claim no card against us. Literally cannot remember a single instance where he has called something in our favour when he has the realistic choice not to.

Dan Biggar was very inconspicuous yesterday too. Reckon he was told to tone down the arm waving?

Latest posts