• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] France vs Ireland (31/10/20)

Delighted for Stockdale, he's had some notable errors but think he's gotten an unfair share of blame. Has looked dangerous when holding onto the ball and fielding much improved.

Disappointing result but this is a potentially great French team and we are a team firmly in transition.
His stats are shocking tonight. Fact he scored a try doesn't cover that. As was just said he has the worst handling stats of a 15 in last few years of 6 Nations. Very poor defensively and nowhere near an answer as a 15

Not all doom and gloom.
James Lowe will add to wingers. But we need to address 10, 15 and possibly frontrow. Build and do it with lads in their right places and we will be ok. Not too disheartened but need to learn

Stockdale's been very poor at 15 but I hope that it doesn't damage his rep too much as a player. He clearly just isn't suited to the position. Him and Keenan really should've been the other way round since the beginning.

From a Neutral view 9 15 and 12 are issues 10 should be but a perceived god cant be cast aside unless he drops on his sword coaches to weak to boot him.
A fantastic player at his pomp

Realistically we didn't deserve to win the Six Nations. Weren't good enough overall.

Time for a few changes though. Sexton, Murray and O'Mahony have had their day. Healy too but there isn't a viable replacement there.

From a Neutral view 9 15 and 12 are issues 10 should be but a perceived god cant be cast aside unless he drops on his sword coaches to weak to boot him.
A fantastic player at his pomp
It's the same as when Sexton replaced ROG. He was heavily criticised and complaints about how he wasn't good enough, now it just repeats itself with the next 10.

Not happy with that performance. A few guys have run their race in green unfortunately.
We need players to step up for the future at 1,2,9,10 quite badly. Harsh on Healy who did quite well today but he's at that age.
Game plan is a whole other issue. Way too much reliance on one out runners with very little sophistication in the backs. Our forwards will carry all day but better sides can meet them on the gainline easily.

Honestly a few switches for November and I'm pretty optimistic about the future. We're not top tier material right now but there's potential.

Kelleher needs to be in the 23. The other options aren't on the same level. Van der Flier should be starting. Connors is a talent but between this and the Saracens game I'm not convinced he's there yet. Josh has been brilliant every game he's played this season and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Would have Wycherly involved too. Baird missing is a pity but nothing can be done about that. In his absence Fineen is the stand out young forward not yet integrated into the squad.

Halfback needs to be addressed. Pity Carbery is broken. No obvious solutions there but change is needed. We need a Ringrose alternative. He's injured too often to be our only creative centre. We need a non boshing alternative. Pity Tom Farrell was never given a chance.

Keenan has taken to international rugby really well. For Wales start him at fullback and have Lowe on the wing. Stockdale still looks dangerous with ball in hand but he's a confidence player and that confidence is shot. Happy he scored a try but once he messed up for the first try he was done. Potentially our best winger in an ideal world but not right now and definitely not a fullback. Him and Keenan in opposite roles was so obvious. I think they eventually figured it out but about 70 minutes too late. The biggest upshot of the last two weeks is Hugo Keenan who has taken to international rugby really well. Set up Stockdale's try. Got to say I'm not convinced by Conway internationally. Had a forgettable six Nations.

It's the same as when Sexton replaced ROG. He was heavily criticised and complaints about how he wasn't good enough, now it just repeats itself with the next 10.
There isn't another Sexton though. I like Ross Byrne but he isn't as good as Sexton was when ROG was displaces. Carbery could have been that guy but is out indefinitely.

Dramatic! We are just really weak there, he's still the best option
That is the issue with Sexton. Still probably our best option but has declined massively and is starting to look like ROG did in his final season or 2. Not at top table of 10s anymore.

At 1. We need to try a few options here. Healy is at an age where he isn't as durable but as a prop I wouldn't say age has him done but more alert.

At 2 Kelleher needs to get back in and people will laugh here but Kevin O'Byrne is needed as a 16. Proven consistently to perform. May not be at this level though but worth a try.

3. Porter wasn't terrible. Needs to improve but TH is not awful.

2nd row. Baird, Wycherley and Henderson should be used along with 2 today.

Backrow. CJ should be pack leader. But between CJ, Hodnett, O'Donoghue, Connors, VDF, Dorris, Leavy and Deegan it should be healthy scrap based on form. POM should be discarded as he has given great service but it's time.

9. Murray still young to be in squad but Casey is passing him here and well I think it should be open battle with all 9s.

10. Again Sexton has great service and this is not aimed at him. Think he struggles as a captain but also should be moved on. Use Ben Healy, Harry Byrne, Carberry or R Byrne with 1 eye on future but equally these guys are ready.

Wings will be fine lots of options just again pick on form.

15. Pick a fullback or lad comfortable playing there. We do have options.

Centres. Henshaw and Aki can't really play together. Ringrose is the key cog here and possibly captaincy choice based on that as well as he seems to have good brain. Develop few more and also Farrell and choices are there.

There isn't another Sexton though. I like Ross Byrne but he isn't as good as Sexton was when ROG was displaces. Carbery could have been that guy but is out indefinitely.
There's always Billy Burns :)

Latest posts