• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (08/02/20)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
proxy.php
VS
proxy.php
14:15, 08/02/2020
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Ireland looking at targetting the set piece. POM in at 6 to destroy a rickety lineout.

Ireland by 10.

Tight match that will Ireland's way due to homefield advantage plus I expect Ireland to give Wales a far harder time in defense than Italy.

Really looking forward to this but gonna miss it live as I'm on kiddie duty. :rolleyes: As a neutral, i love the sheer brutality of Ireland-Wales clashes. Expecting Ireland to get revenge for their 2019 no-show. Great record in Dublin since Scmidt arrived. What is it, 2 defeats in 6+ years? Awesome.

Sorry lads would have made more sense to put the team here than the Irish Party Years one.

Ireland (v Wales):

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rob Herring
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Devin Toner
20. Max Deegan
21. John Cooney
22. Ross Byrne
23. Keith Earls

Referee: Romain Poite [France].

Not super enthused about a number of selections but certainly not expecting a thrashing or calling for Farrell's head.

Good that Kilcoyne makes it back. Would have liked Kelleher to get in, Herring was...fine but especially with the backrow I'd like another carrying option. Certainly hope he gets more than the token minutes he got against Scotland.

Would also like Deegan to get a decent go, he's the type of guy who can really make an impact when a game loosens up.

Disappointed for Addison he gives us more of the cover we need and has been really excellent for Ulster. At this stage I also fully expect a centre to get injured, such is life.

Expecting a tight game and don't really no how to call it either way. Apart from Larmour running it back not expecting anything overly expansive from us.

We'll have no go-forward from the backrow. Stander is only one man. Expect significant loss of gainline unless Furlong, Healy, Ryan & Henderson can really step up.
We'll have no direction from scrum half beyond slow and bad box-kicks. As well as laboured passing.
We'll have no inventiveness in midfield. We used to ridicule Warrenball?

Unless Sexton gets timely delivery from Murray (which will be breaking with an 18 month trend) and can ping the corners - I don't see how we are going to even get the territory to threaten their line - never mind actually get over it.

Two teams in similar circumstances, lots of experience throughout each 23 (if Wales select a similar group to the italy match), both are getting to grips with new coaching ideas and methods and both showed positives and negatives during week 1... you'd probably have to give it it to the home advantage to predict the winner.

I'm just hoping that Humph can work a little magic with our scrum during the week.

edit. Sanjay definitely out or this (& the next game).

Last edited:
According to Kinsella, Addison is out because of injury.

I do feel a bit for Farrell given if not for injuries the team would be different enough that there likely wouldn't be as many complaints.

According to Kinsella, Addison is out because of injury.

I do feel a bit for Farrell given if not for injuries the team would be different enough that there likely wouldn't be as many complaints.
Yeah. I think Cooney and Deegan are fair shouts but Earls v Kearney is much of a muchness, although Balaclune would have been sexy.

Sorry lads would have made more sense to put the team here than the Irish Party Years one.

Ireland (v Wales):

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rob Herring
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Devin Toner
20. Max Deegan
21. John Cooney
22. Ross Byrne
23. Keith Earls

Referee: Romain Poite [France].
Consider me underwhelmed. No Addison on the bench means it's even worse than I was expecting.

That centre pairing and backrow have consistently been shown not to be up to the task at this level. Overall having our worst season in years and making a grand total of one unforced changes* to the starting XV is a bit of a head scratcher.

The less said about the continued selection of the country's sixth best performing scrum half the better.

On the plus side, it's still good enough to have a decent chance against the Welsh, and excited to see Deegan get a chance.

*and only one other change to the starting XV, which is to replace a retiree with a decent at best guy in his late 20s. I'll give him he tried with Doris but if he's willing to give Doris a go why not give Deegan or JOD a shot instead of reverting to the same old tired combination?

This is a very moany post and overall I am pretty optimistic about the Farrell era but right now it does feel like we're starting out with the same selection flaws that ended (or likely would have ended in Joe's case) our last three coaches' reigns.

I'll wait until we see the Wales team but not more than a few points either way I think.

I'll wait until we see the Wales team but not more than a few points either way I think.
Could be way out but got a feeling it could be:

15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. Tompkins
12. Parkes
11. Adams
10. Biggar
9. Williams

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
3. Lewis (this is the toughest to predict for me. I'd have personally given WGJ atleast a bench spot... probably a start against Italy to prime him for this weekend. The fact he got no minutes makes me think Pivac will stick)
4. Hill
5. Jones
6. Wainwright
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau

15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. Tompkins
12. Parkes
11. Adams
10. Biggar
9. Williams

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
3. Lewis (this is the toughest to predict for me. I'd have personally given WGJ atleast a bench spot... probably a start against Italy to prime him for this weekend. The fact he got no minutes makes me think Pivac will stick)
4. Hill
5. Jones
6. Wainwright
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau

Think you've likely got that bang on. Wouldn't expect any wild changes, maybe one or two swaps on the bench. As you say front row could change, as both Rob Evans and Leon Brown did pretty well from the bench. I do wonder if Faletau might drop to the bench in place of Moriarty too, but probably not. I'd be amazed if that wasn't the exact backline too, Tompkins definitely deserves his shot.

Ireland are a tough one to call, never thought I'd see the day where Connor Murray wasn't considered one of the best 9s in the world but it seems everyone wants that fella from Ulster in his place. I think Wales have got a shot at winning away but Ireland are so tough at home, could go either way. Excited though, this matchup is very rarely a dull affair.

15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. Tompkins
12. Parkes
11. Adams
10. Biggar
9. Williams

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
4. Hill
5. Jones
6. Wainwright
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
I'd actually be pretty optimistic going up against that, in spite of my gripes with our team. Assuming no major changes to that twamteam Ireland by 4 or 5, the bench is absolutely full of form so I'd say it'll be close and boring for the most part but our bench to bring it home (and show why most of them should be starting).

Last edited:
15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. Tompkins
12. Parkes
11. Adams
10. Biggar
9. Williams

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
3. Lewis
4. Hill
5. Jones
6. Wainwright
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau

I think McNicholl will keep his spot on the wing over North because he offers that roaming playmaker roll that Pivac will want. I also have a feeling that Brown will start at tighthead, possibly with WGJ on the bench, but more than likely Lewis.

Loosehead could also be interesting. Rob Evans could easily start, he was always first choice under Pivac for the Scarlets. Isn't Carre back available after suspension? Could be viewed as the best impact option off the bench.

I expect to see Gareth Davies on the bench over Webb as well.

Latest posts