• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (08/02/20)

I think some people are bing a little too despondent after a loss to Ireland away. We havent won there for what, 8 or 9 years, even with the 'well organised Gatland team'
I think we need to go through the whole 6N before deciding good or bad. There and new players to bed in, a new attack system, a defence that has to be modified to mesh with the new attack..and the players havent been together for 3 months as they were before the World cup. Given the Italy showing against France, they arent as bad as some people assume. The game against France will be interesting. It its still terrible by the end of the 6N, then yes some questions should be asked, but at least give them a chance first

I think some people are bing a little too despondent after a loss to Ireland away. We havent won there for what, 8 or 9 years, even with the 'well organised Gatland team'
I think we need to go through the whole 6N before deciding good or bad. There and new players to bed in, a new attack system, a defence that has to be modified to mesh with the new attack..and the players havent been together for 3 months as they were before the World cup. Given the Italy showing against France, they arent as bad as some people assume. The game against France will be interesting. It its still terrible by the end of the 6N, then yes some questions should be asked, but at least give them a chance first

When they're good I'll say so, I'll also say so when they're bad too. Unlike the pundits on TV who try to brush every thing to one side because they don't want to rock the status quo.
I don't mind losing, but these are professional players who should be at the top of their game, yet they were abysmal and are defended for playing poorly not for making a mistake as we all have but, for school boy errors all through the game I would like you to point out the positives for me.

It could take a while, why should it, the welsh players were a well organised TEAM before pivac got anywhere near it, so why has that changed? The basics should still be there, that this team is trying new things should not be lost on the welsh players as most of them can already play an offloading game which they have done to some effect. I've had a few howlers in my day who hasn't, but for the whole team to be dreadful which they were there must be some underlying reason.
Every one, or I should say, most think Tipric is some kind of god he won m.o.m. against Italy for his tackles, his tackles, please he hangs on and that's classed as a tackle, how many times is he moved off the breakdown easily, now i'm told that Ellis Jenkins's injury might take him out of playing again, I also had high hopes for Wainright, but he was no where, Faletau has come back from a long lay off so you must give him time, but he is a genuine world class player and will get back (barring injuries) to what he was I'm sure.
Alun Wyn gives his all every time,I could go on but don't wish to bore every one, sorry for the rant bushy good to hear from you again. all I can say is look out France:):rolleyes:
One of the things we clearly struggled with was our defensive set up and application... yous have to think that stems from playing defensively one way for 13 years (with minor tweaks) and now being asked to defend a different way. I've long thought Hayward could be the week link in the coaching team but I'm prepared to ride this one out for a while yet.

In fairness we had a shocker or 2 under Gats during his reign.

Yeah, things weren't always rosy under Gats. I recall us being beaten up a bit 2 years ago in Dublin as well. There were obvious issues on the weekend in defense, whilst a few players had poor games with individual errors outside the coaches control. No need to panic though.

I do wonder whether Pivac needs to re-think a few selections after that one. Wainwright was very quiet, and tbh hasn't been great for region or contry sinse the wc. Tompkins might need a more gradual introduction, especially now that Watkin is back fit. North needs dropping, he's just not at the races atm.

One of the things we clearly struggled with was our defensive set up and application... yous have to think that stems from playing defensively one way for 13 years (with minor tweaks) and now being asked to defend a different way. I've long thought Hayward could be the week link in the coaching team but I'm prepared to ride this one out for a while yet.

In fairness we had a shocker or 2 under Gats during his reign.
There were some fresh faces playing for sure, as for Hayward you cant really blame him yet, not when players over run the ball carrier, and drop the ball, or let the opposition run through you. coaches need a little time too
I don't think Wales will play that badly again, but they all need to take a good look at themselves, I haven't ever seen bigger play so badly, but some times I know when things start to go wrong it can snowball. its not time yet to blame the coaches and i'm not. but you have to question the players first and accept they were pants.:(

I will also say that being beaten by a better team is difficult but acceptable. its when a team is equal and then you get beaten and you play so poorly and that's what happened satuday

There were some fresh faces playing for sure, as for Hayward you cant really blame him yet, not when players over run the ball carrier, and drop the ball, or let the opposition run through you. coaches need a little time too
I don't think Wales will play that badly again, but they all need to take a good look at themselves, I haven't ever seen bigger play so badly, but some times I know when things start to go wrong it can snowball. its not time yet to blame the coaches and i'm not. but you have to question the players first and accept they were pants.:(
Dai i guess I'm just trying to say, let's chill for the moment... yes we lost badly in a competitive game for the first time in around two years. Let's give the new coaching team a few more chances to prove their methods can work though before we start 'zoidberging'. And if we get to the end of the 6 Nations losing all our remaining games badly with no sign of what the coaching team are trying to embed/instil... I'll join you ;)

Last edited:
upload_2020-2-11_21-1-50.gif

Dublin is hardly the easiest of places to get a win, and this Ireland team are starting to click again.

Some logistics to think about:

Round 1
Ireland play at home with a new coaching setup and hold on to well to win vs Scotland, who, fly half issues aside, are relatively settled as a squad.
Wales play at home* with a new coaching setup and smash Italy, who are also settling into a new coaching setup and structure and are horrific at home, let alone away
*Said home being a notorious cauldron for any visiting team.

Round 2
Ireland, fat with momentum from a good win over Scotland, have another home match, with a buoyant crowd after their last result. During the week, tactical issues, exposed by a solid test against a side that looked to exploit their weaknesses, were shored up

Wales have their first test away from the cauldron, having enjoyed an absolute walkover the prior weekend and struggle to overcome a home side that had the opportunity to identify and remedy issues exposed by not-a-42-0-crapmatch last week.

As an England fan I've a faint worry that if we get turned over by Ireland - who have had a very nicely staggered warm up to their first away game - then Wales will be chock-a-*******-fock-full of belief a fortnight after that and sink us to fifth.

I think it's way too soon to judge where Wales are at, in any sense.

Last edited:
Is rugby considered the national sport of Ireland, or is it football/soccer? I'm curious because World Rugby headquarters are in Dublin. Thanks. :)

World_Rugby_logo.png

Dai i guess I'm just trying to say, let's chill for the moment... yes we lost badly in a competitive game for the first time in around two years. Let's give the new coaching team a few more chances to prove their methods can work though before we start 'zoidberging'. And if we get to the end of the 6 Nations losing all our remaining games badly with no sign of what the coaching team are trying to embed/instil... I'll join you ;)
Zoidberging! I don't know what that means, but I haven't blamed the coaches in fact I defended Hayward in my last post to you, the coaches can only do so much they don't win rucks or drop the ball, I think I was quite plain in who I blamed and it wasn't the coaches.:rolleyes::)

In case you're wondering, the #1 sport in the USA is American football. It used to be baseball, but the popularity of that sport has dwindled over the years. And basketball is rapidly gaining ground on the #2 spot here (some say it has already passed baseball). The Canadians lay claim to basketball as their sport, but Dr. James Naismith was working at Springfield College in Massachusetts when he invented it in 1891. He later took the basketball coach and athletic director job at the University of Kansas where he worked for many years. He died in 1937 and is buried in Lawrence, Kansas.

You probably knew most of this already. :cool:

Last edited:
Zoidberging! I don't know what that means, but I haven't blamed the coaches in fact I defended Hayward in my last post to you, the coaches can only do so much they don't win rucks or drop the ball, I think I was quite plain in who I blamed and it wasn't the coaches.:rolleyes::)
All I'm saying is give the 'whole' situation a little more time... if there is no sign of improvement or portents of potential, I'll zoidberg with ya ;).

All I'm saying is give the 'whole' situation a little more time... if there is no sign of improvement or portents of potential, I'll zoidberg with ya ;).

I don't think Wales will play as badly again, in fact I think we will beat France quite comprehensively, but I'm not sure I like the drift defence Wales has embraced, the blitz worked well for us so why change it, I know you're going to say we still do the blitz, yes around the rucks but when Ireland moved the ball we drifted, the old adage comes to mind, if it aint broke don't fix it, with the blitz you cut off the ball reaching the wing most of the time, so this takes away the oppositions strike players out wide and I believe we will need to do that against the French and English.:D;)

I don't think Wales will play as badly again, in fact I think we will beat France quite comprehensively, but I'm not sure I like the drift defence Wales has embraced, the blitz worked well for us so why change it, I know you're going to say we still do the blitz, yes around the rucks but when Ireland moved the ball we drifted, the old adage comes to mind, if it aint broke don't fix it, with the blitz you cut off the ball reaching the wing most of the time, so this takes away the oppositions strike players out wide and I believe we will need to do that against the French and English.:D;)
Yeah, in fairness I'm not feeling the drift either. It just gives the oppo so much time on the ball.

Latest posts