• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (08/02/20)

I think McNicholl will keep his spot on the wing over North because he offers that roaming playmaker roll that Pivac will want. I also have a feeling that Brown will start at tighthead, possibly with WGJ on the bench, but more than likely Lewis.

Loosehead could also be interesting. Rob Evans could easily start, he was always first choice under Pivac for the Scarlets. Isn't Carre back available after suspension? Could be viewed as the best impact option off the bench.

I expect to see Gareth Davies on the bench over Webb as well.
Yeah maybe, it's not necessarily the side I would pick mind either.

Maybe a little early... but I look forward to a front row of Carre, Elias and WGJ.

My gut says the (potential) Welsh team is better, but Ireland always do well at home. I think its too close to call, but expect it to be within 7 points.

Its a reflection on Gatland and the strength in depth he built that with the injuries we have the only area we seem to be worrying about is the front row!

POM to connect with Stander, they will look like twins on the field, and have a great game. Will give Ireland lots of go forward ball, and make the diffs in the final score...you heard it here first.......

Weather not due to be great? Didn't affect us last year, but I think Pivac would prefer a dry track.

POM to connect with Stander, they will look like twins on the field, and have a great game. Will give Ireland lots of go forward ball, and make the diffs in the final score...you heard it here first.......
I actually think it's the opposite - they won't get much go forward.
Stander always looks far far better on the flank than at 8 - when he has to do all the heavy lifting it's easy to mark him out of the game. Much better when he can share the load with someone, and POM (especially in this day and age) ain't that.

Liam Williams won't be playing anyway. Seems a really difficult to shake injury that ankle

Yeah, from a Welsh perspective Sanjay will always be missed but with how long he's been out (hasn't played any rugby since late October) I don't think you could've actually started him this weekend in Dublin... even if he was given a full bill of health. Halfpenny invariably does an admirable job though at 15.

I'm just concerned about the scrum and the defensive structure... both of which 'should' improve the more that the players understand the coaches ideas. Humphreys is a great forwards coach but he has his work cut out for him preparing the Welsh pack for this Irish scrum. Defense-wise, we seem to be moving towards a blitz-drift from an all-out blitz... consequently Italy found some gaps during that first half. I'd imagine Ireland could find more, as well as having a better execution rate.

It's a close call with these two teams at the moment though... spoke to my father last night and I've never heard him so confident, I'm still edging towards the home advantage probably being enough.

Bookies have Ireland -4,

I would've expected +/- 1 tbh - could be worth a nibble for a Wales fan.

I actually think it's the opposite - they won't get much go forward.
Stander always looks far far better on the flank than at 8 - when he has to do all the heavy lifting it's easy to mark him out of the game. Much better when he can share the load with someone, and POM (especially in this day and age) ain't that.
Dead right. Only exception was when he was playing 8 with Leavy at 7.

**** I miss Leavy so much.

I think McNicholl will keep his spot on the wing over North because he offers that roaming playmaker roll that Pivac will want. I also have a feeling that Brown will start at tighthead, possibly with WGJ on the bench, but more than likely Lewis.

Loosehead could also be interesting. Rob Evans could easily start, he was always first choice under Pivac for the Scarlets. Isn't Carre back available after suspension? Could be viewed as the best impact option off the bench.

I expect to see Gareth Davies on the bench over Webb as well.
I would like to see Davies start with Williams on the bench.

I would like to see Davies start with Williams on the bench.
In fairness it's tough to drop Davies as he had a great season last year (6N & RWC) but if you look at both scrum halves attributes... Davies off the bench (what with his speed and sniping) makes more sense when a defence is tired. Williams' quick delivery and better decision-making probably makes him the better bet to get that defence tired in the first place.

Last edited:
Williams' kicking has also been spot on recently. Every kick has been contestable. This is something Davies struggles with, do another reason why imo it makes more sense to start Williams with Davies having an impact off the bench.

Re. Liam Williams, always going to miss a player of his calibre, however Halfpenny was probably the best he's looked for 5+ years v Italy. Thought he was excellent in every facet of play. We've also got options out wide, so Williams isn't a massive loss.

Williams' kicking has also been spot on recently. Every kick has been contestable. This is something Davies struggles with, do another reason why imo it makes more sense to start Williams with Davies having an impact off the bench.

Re. Liam Williams, always going to miss a player of his calibre, however Halfpenny was probably the best he's looked for 5+ years v Italy. Thought he was excellent in every facet of play. We've also got options out wide, so Williams isn't a massive loss.
I would have started with Davies for that sprint he was making chasing down the oppo ball , try v Aus and really put Sexton off his game in the slam game.

I would have started with Davies for that sprint he was making chasing down the oppo ball , try v Aus and really put Sexton off his game in the slam game.
Fair point... and with Pivac's relationship with Davies it may well be the way he goes.

Good point. 2 quality options, so it's good either way.

Dewi and Basham into the squad. Is this acknowledging that Navidi and Dee might not make the cut for most if not all the tourni?

Latest posts