• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Italy vs Scotland (22/02/20)

Italy seemed too dependent on Haywards running

Think that's a bit unfair, could actually see something silly happening like they manage to get some points from their decent attack (deserved some this game really), put more bodies in to breakdowns like they have this second half to disrupt and frustrate a chasing England to close out a match on the last game of the 6N.

:))
It's not that harsh, they've just been nilled at home by the next weakest side.

Italy nilled twice in 3 games. It's time we stopped this "Italy are improving" ********, they are **** whipping boys who offer nothing to the competition other than who can thrash them the most.
Did you watch the game?

Wasn't much in the difference between the two teams on the whole.

The problem with Italy is they are a very emotional people. And playing rugby with emotions is not a good thing.

Honestly I didn't think that was a huge improvement from Scotland. More that Italy just made constant mistakes.

Margin flatters Scotland in my opinion, but I suppose if you can't score not much for Italy to complain about.

On the whole Italy weren't awful, decent in a lot of aspects but seriously let down in a few areas and they won't win a game until they fix that.

Italy really struggled at the breakdown... It's not as if they don't have players capable, just that their game plan really didn't help.

They seem to have gone for a no-box kick route, which is interesting, but they've combined it with everyone playing so far back! There were times when they were going from the base and you couldn't see a single Italy player on screen, as they were all about 10m back.

Seemed to be really keen on going wide, too, which didn't combine well with the deep passing. By the time they got the ball to the wing Scotland had gently jogged over to cover.

That spreading of play and deep passing meant that when they did go route 1 their support was miles behind them. What was the turnover stat in the end? I'm sure it was over 20 at 60mins

It's nice to see Italy having some (any!) structure to their game, but they're going to need a more effective game plan going forwards

Did you watch the game?

Wasn't much in the difference between the two teams on the whole.

You mean that game where Italy once again got nilled? That game that was yet another loss to Italy. I mean feel free to point out the last time Italy had any impact on the championship besides seeing who could beat them by the most. What do they actually offer?

How many times have we heard Italy are improving? How many years?

The irony is that if Eng and Wal lose this weekend Sco will be third in the table

You mean that game where Italy once again got nilled? That game that was yet another loss to Italy. I mean feel free to point out the last time Italy had any impact on the championship besides seeing who could beat them by the most. What do they actually offer?

How many times have we heard Italy are improving? How many years?
Yes, that game.

Drawing sweeping conclusions from scorelines is just lazy analysis.

Yes, that game.

Drawing sweeping conclusions from scorelines is just lazy analysis.

But ignoring years of evidence is just fine? Again I ask, when did Italy last have any impact on the tournament besides others trying to beat them by as much as possible? If Italy actually do contribute, this sounds really not be difficult so why can't you provide this?

You could make the same argument for every country bar Wales, Ireland and England for the last decade.

Petition to start #NeoTriNations

The problem with Italy is they are a very emotional people. And playing rugby with emotions is not a good thing.

Surely the wrongest comment I read so far... France as all latin countries is often playing rugby with emotions, and when they did so like in semi final 1999 over AB, it's about a 33-00 in less than 20 minutes in the second half...

From a Neutral point of view.
Scotland deserved the win.
But was it a poor watch.
Both have plenty to work on.
Yes it's fair to ask about Italy in ongoing championship.

Haven't watched the game, but have seen Hogg's try. He's really good to watch when he's in full flight like that.

Duncan's right to say that it's fair to question Italy's ongoing involvement. Unfortunately they've been reduced to whipping boys, 25 straight defeats isn't good enough. For all people say they've been improving, they're not really getting close to winning matches and have been nilled twice in 3 games this time round which I'd guess is pretty much unprecedented. It's a difficult one.

Honestly I didn't think that was a huge improvement from Scotland. More that Italy just made constant mistakes.

This seems to have been the theme for Italy throughout the tournament so far - their play hasn't been too bad imho. Sure they lack a bit of penetration but they've been quite competitive.

Except for all the errors and penalties - if they can improve their accuracy I think they would cause a few problems.

but they've been quite competitive.
Nilled twice with two games remaining and only 23 PD of last year's attempt.

Sorry anything suggesting Italy are competitive is laughable.

This seems to have been the theme for Italy throughout the tournament so far - their play hasn't been too bad imho. Sure they lack a bit of penetration but they've been quite competitive.

Except for all the errors and penalties - if they can improve their accuracy I think they would cause a few problems.
Classic symptoms of teams under pressure and players who aren't quite good enough. You can't just rectify those on a whim.

Nilled twice with two games remaining and only 23 PD of last year's attempt.

Sorry anything suggesting Italy are competitive is laughable.

Not entirely sure you can just use scores as an indicator.

Based on score you might argue that England were unlucky against France but it's probably closer to the mark to say that May's individual brilliance was the only thing that kept them (or rather got them) in it.

But if you want to just look at score, you might say that Italy scored one less than last year's GS winners away from home against France.

Sure their nil scores make for a compelling stat but I wouldn't say it's the whole story.

Latest posts