• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Scotland vs England (08/02/20)

Four opensides and Four locks.

The imbalance is what killed us last week - need the same of 4/5s and 7s.

Itoje + Kruis = Best lock partnership
Ludlam at 6 offers at least some carrying.
Heinz starting (Not Youngs)
Backline ehhhhh not much we can do with Manu and Watson out, would honestly prefer Daly 15 Thorley on the wing but eh.

Bench forwards 6 split is always a risk.
But glad Earl is on it.

Edit: Also Marler getting the drop instead of Genge

Do apprentice players count as part of the EPS? Can they be selected for matches, or are they really just fancy-***led bag-holders?

I guess the question I'm actually asking is 'Could Alex Mitchell play in this 6N?'.

Don't think he's fully fit, from what I've read.

I don't think they can be selected either, thinking about it - vaguely remember reading about it when the system was first introduced

It's definitely better. Ludlam played 8 in WC build up and was ok so unsure why he isn't starting at 8. I guess it's EJ being stubborn wanting to stick with Curry at 8. If that was me I'd rather take a hit to the ego rather then looking stupid moving your best player out of position. Back to Ludlum he's been good for England but I get why some don't like his selection. Bit like the Ewels of the back row for me he's a good player but it's frustrating him getting picked over better players.

It's definitely better. Ludlam played 8 in WC build up and was ok so unsure why he isn't starting at 8. I guess it's EJ being stubborn wanting to stick with Curry at 8. If that was me I'd rather take a hit to the ego rather then looking stupid moving your best player out of position. Back to Ludlum he's been good for England but I get why some don't like his selection. Bit like the Ewels of the back row for me he's a good player but it's frustrating him getting picked over better players.
Did he? I don't know where the idea that Ludlam can play 8 has come from. Last year whenever him, Curry and Underhill were in a back row together it was always Curry at 8.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Curry should be playing 8, but Ludlam is no better of an option there.

Did he? I don't know where the idea that Ludlam can play 8 has come from. Last year whenever him, Curry and Underhill were in a back row together it was always Curry at 8.
Do you know when that was?
Cause i looked before and couldn't find it.

I, too, was under the impression that Ludlam had more experience at 8 than Curry.
I don't think he's much more of a heavy carrier, though - certainly puts himself about a lot but I don't think he'll make more inroads than Tom.

Edit: Second half of the Argentina pool game was a Curry/Ludlam/Underhill backrow, my mistake (I'd thought it'd be the USA game if anything).

I, too, was under the impression that Ludlam had more experience at 8 than Curry.
I don't think he's much more of a heavy carrier, though - certainly puts himself about a lot but I don't think he'll make more inroads than Tom.
To be honest with you Olyy, Swansea beat Cardiff at Arms Park last night so the party is still going and I could not tell you exactly when it was that the 3 of them were in the back row together. However, I do have a distinct memory of it happening, and that when it did, Curry was at 8. I think that it was in the USA and Tonga games but I'm not entirely sure.

Ludlam is a 7 through and through. He has covered 6 and 8 for the saints but he is a proper 7.

Again no balance to the back row, I stand by my statement that Jones is an idiot.

To be honest with you Olyy, Swansea beat Cardiff at Arms Park last night so the party is still going and I could not tell you exactly when it was that the 3 of them were in the back row together. However, I do have a distinct memory of it happening, and that when it did, Curry was at 8. I think that it was in the USA and Tonga games but I'm not entirely sure.
I just had a mooch on wikipedia and it was the 2nd half of the Argentina game.

I agree with you, though - neither Curry nor Ludlam should be starting at 8. At this stage it might as well be Tom because he'll have been training there the past few weeks and has 80mins of game time there under his belt this tournament.

Ludlam is a 7 through and through. He has covered 6 and 8 for the saints but he is a proper 7.

Again no balance to the back row, I stand by my statement that Jones is an idiot.
At international level I see Ludlam as more of a 6. He has defensive physicality but lacks breakdown ability. Although, I also don't think that Ludlam should be playing international rugby at all.

I c'm still in a state of shock he dropped Youngs...

yeh I also see Ludlam more of a 6 at this level.

Certainly isn't a out and out 7 like I would describe Curry twins.

Edit: Second half of the Argentina pool game was a Curry/Ludlam/Underhill backrow, my mistake (I'd thought it'd be the USA game if anything).

My mistake I remember them 3 playing together before, I thought it happened more often. Thinking about it I remember complaining why Billy was playing so much. Yeah sorry was way off on that.

Sods law dictates Heinz will have a shocker and Youngs will come on and play one of his best games. Always the way.

Latest posts