• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales Squad

Not too worried about Halfpenny, he's been doing fine recently. He seems to be attacking more, so it will be interesting to see how he does in what is likely to be a more attack-oriented team. And his boot will punish any Italian indiscretions

Liam Williams has been confirmed as out for the Italy game. Which means Halfpenny will be starting, Rees-Zammit has returned to training and will be fit.
... and Owen Watkin will be in full training next week with a possibility for involvement round 1 but should be medically fit (if not fully match fit) for round 2. In all honesty it's probably a blessing in disguise as you couldn't hope for a better opening match than Italy for Tompkins.

edit. I like a lot of what Pivac said in his presser... was worried for the post-Gats era but he's speaking a lot of sense at least.

Not too worried about Halfpenny, he's been doing fine recently. He seems to be attacking more, so it will be interesting to see how he does in what is likely to be a more attack-oriented team. And his boot will punish any Italian indiscretions
He had a tough out against Toulon a couple of weeks back but apart from that he's been good and never lets Wales down.

Halfpenny is a very good replacement, I think it's a bit of a shame though as Williams has that little bit extra in attack. Left field choice could be McNicholl at FB but I doubt we will see it to be honest.

Halfpenny is a very good replacement, I think it's a bit of a shame though as Williams has that little bit extra in attack. Left field choice could be McNicholl at FB but I doubt we will see it to be honest.
He's a great back up to the other two but not sure he's got the kicking game to be a regular there.

Aye, tight play is his speciality, especially goal line offence and defence (I've seen him single handedly stop a three man pod before).
As Pete Anglesea said "When he hits people they stay hit"

Awesome, that's what I want to hear. Could easily make the 3 jersey his own this championship.

Awesome, that's what I want to hear. Could easily make the 3 jersey his own this championship.
To think of the TH situation going into the 2015 World Cup and where we are now is crazy. Francis, Lewis, Brown, John and Lee probably make it a position of strength.

Earlier this week Rhys Webb stunned us all (particularly @ragerancher) with his Fireman Sam impersonation... but can anyone guess the scrum half's next recreation of beloved 80's Cartoon characters?

upload_2020-1-22_20-38-41.jpeg

Earlier this week Rhys Webb stunned us all (particularly @ragerancher) with his Fireman Sam impersonation... but can anyone guess the scrum half's next recreation of beloved 80's Cartoon characters?

View attachment 7996

Objection, I thought WGJ looked like Fireman Sam. Beer goggles are a thing although mine appear to make Welsh props look like 80's cartoon characters. Other than than that carry on.

Objection, I thought WGJ looked like Fireman Sam. Beer goggles are a thing although mine appear to make Welsh props look like 80's cartoon characters. Other than than that carry on.
Ahh, the 'peanut shaped head' thing threw me...

Drum roll please... it's

upload_2020-1-22_21-1-25.jpeg

Buster Gonad!

Owen Lane has been released from the squad due to a hamstring injury. In all honesty it's unlikely that he would've got much if any game time this championship what with the amount of talent in the back three but would've clearly been advantageous for his development.

No one else has been called up as of yet but Steff Evans would probably be favourite. Personally I'd consider reinforcing centre with Steff Hughes.

I agree Bushy about Hughes. Cant see him starting but good to see if he can bring form with with. If he goes for a winger I would like to see Aled Summerhill as the guy is lightening!

Anyone else starting to think Lane is going to be one of those guys that had all the talent but a body that just couldnt cope with top level sport? He always seems to be injured and they never seem to be small things. This is the period he should be recovering well not being injured all the time. I am genuinely concerned time may pass him by at the rate and he will never make a break through due to injuries.

Yeah I like Summerhill... quality finisher, doesn't seem to get much love though. Never heard any of the Welsh Coaching team (Gats or Pivs) mention him. I think he's just gotta keep putting in the work and he might figure by this time next year (or maybe even the Autumn).

All the press seem to be pointing towards North at 13 and McNic at 14. I really hope this doesnt happen! NT needs a chance at 13 and McNic will be too old at the next WC. Same with Parkes...O.Williams needs the 12 shirt!

All the press seem to be pointing towards North at 13 and McNic at 14. I really hope this doesnt happen! NT needs a chance at 13 and McNic will be too old at the next WC. Same with Parkes...O.Williams needs the 12 shirt!
Yeah, reading between the lines... it does like like George at 13 (a few years late for my liking). In all honesty, although it wouldn't be my choice (I'd go Parkes at 12 and Tompkins at 13) as I've wanted to see George play 13 for so long (I know he's had four caps there but that's not enough to get comfy) if it comes to pass I'm hoping he has a big match.

I'll be watching Owen Williams closely today... personally I don't think he's played anywhere near enough rugby since moving to Gloucester to be considered a tier 1 test match starter. Would be happy to be proved wrong though.

McNichol... probably won't be around for the next World Cup (you never know though) but with how good he's been since moving to Wales AND him choosing to stay here when he had very lucrative offers elsewhere makes me think he deserves the first chance. Long term it's gonna be Adams and Rees-Zammit on either wing but it doesn't hurt Louis (at his age) to let Johnny have the start first up.

Last edited:
Cant you give a decent update on how O Williams goes today?

Cant you give a decent update on how O Williams goes today?
Sadly, I missed the first half as was busy but just got back as the second half started. So far Rees-Zammit hasn't touched the ball and Williams has touched it twice... once looking paralysed due to the blitzing defence and wasn't quick enough to release the ball, second producing a pretty great touch finder from one 22 to the other.

in fairness Bristol are pretty rampant making it difficult for any of the Gloucester boys.

@oj121 He's got subbed on the 60 minute mark... let's just say the 20 minutes I saw didn't serve to convince me either way on him.

Latest posts