• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales Squad

@oj121 So of all the Welsh interest in the match Williams, Rees-Zammit and Lloyd (Bristol bench)... it's Dan Thomas that has been getting major love from the commentators (& deservedly so). Looks quite small for a backrow but gets away with it. With all the quality at 7 in the Welsh squad though, I don't think he'll ever get a look in.

Can Thomas convert to center please?

Shame Williams wasnt up to speed. I really dont rate Parkes at all. At this point in his career he is only going to get slower and he isnt suddenly going to become some magician with the ball!

Can Thomas convert to center please?

Shame Williams wasnt up to speed. I really dont rate Parkes at all. At this point in his career he is only going to get slower and he isnt suddenly going to become some magician with the ball!

Well we definitely can't rely on him long term but in fairness to the guy he basically played the whole World Cup with one arm. He was a frikkin stalwart during last years 6 Nations though. I think he will probably be phased out during the next two years but in the few years he will been a Welsh international he will have done himself proud.

Long term the Blues obviously have Ben Thomas but I've read that Nick Tompkins is actually more comfortable at 12 than he is 13 (though he has had game time at both). Hopefully some more talent will start to emerge though as it does feel a bit sparse at centre.

Given the options at 13, I wonder if (as we're playing Italy), Pivac might give North just half a game at 13 (he seems to be the first choice from what info has come out), and someone else for the second half? We couldn't really risk that against a major team, but lets face it, Italy aren't the All Blacks...

Given the options at 13, I wonder if (as we're playing Italy), Pivac might give North just half a game at 13 (he seems to be the first choice from what info has come out), and someone else for the second half? We couldn't really risk that against a major team, but lets face it, Italy aren't the All Blacks...
Yeah, without wanting to disrespect Italy but if you're gonna 'try' things in the 6 Nations... this is the game to do it in.

I wonder how different training is under Pivac compared to Gats. I remember he'd previously said with the Scarlets that every training session (apart from weights of course) is done with a ball in hand to ensure that ball handling and skills are an ever present in all they do. I never got the feeling that Gatland worked like that!

Really hoping to see the lads' basic ball handling improve during Pivac's tenure. I always thought there was room for improvement there under Gats.

Navidi ruled out for a month! That's a shame for him, surely that means a Wainwright, Tirpuic and Faletau starting back row.

Aye, big shame for Navidi. Position of strength for us though, so not a massive blow. Interesting if/who will be called up as a replacement?

Gutted for him... as much as I like Wainwright, at this point I'd go with Navidi. I just get the impression opposition hate having to deal with him.

1601979290698.png

Overall I'm happy with the squad a few surprises in there but I don't think they are wrong inclusions. Sam Parry has been playing well for the Ospreys for the last few years but I am surprised that Dee has been dropped I'm guessing it's an injury?
Would have liked to see Will Griff John get a game but the more game time for Brown and Lewis is the better really. 2nd rows it's good to see Seb Davies back, Privac style could really suit his game and help him kick on to the next level. MaCleod has looked very impressive at regional level and fully deserves his shot at test level, Shane Lewis Hughes would have been on the cusp of selection for me but that's a solid back row.

9s choose themselves really with Tomos' injury Hardy has played well but I'm not sure who else they would even choose really? Rodri Williams could do a job but Wales need to look to younger players now. Now for the big surprised at 10, I'm really happy with Sheedy's inclusion, he's looked good when I've seen him playing for Bristol but I thought he had ruled him self out of selection but apparently not. No Jarrod Evans is big call especially since Patchell hasn't had much game time (although not many of the players have). I'm guessing this was 50/50 call that went to Patchell as Privac has coached him a lot before. Centres were another one that pick themselves. Johnny Williams looks a useful addition to a position that Wales have looked really bare in the past few years. For all his early promise Watkin pushed on as I would have hoped, he's still relatively young and still has time but for me he's now behind both Tompkins and Williams. Back 3 looks good. Hopefully Rees-Zammit get's his cap this time, Lloyd another one who has looked good whenever I'm seem him play for Bristol. Hewitt and Evans have been playing well and will probably be disappointed not to be called up. Although Evan's history with Privac isn't promising for his future international career.

Leon Brown being picked over WGJ(/at all) is madness,
At least WillGriff remains EQP for another season.

Waiting for a backline of
10. Sheedy
11. Holmes
12. Williams
13. Thompkins
14. LRZ
15. Lloyd

A shining advertisement for Welsh academies.

Honestly though Sheedy is a cracking pick up for wales.

It's bit disappointing that Wales need to really on qualified players especially in the centre. I don't think Tompkins, Holmes and Williams have ever really thought about playing for Wales till asked to be honest.
But when English academies sign players who only ever want to play for Wales, Lloyd, LRZ, Tommy Reffell etc. it's a actually benefiting Wales, they are paying for the player's development and giving them valuable experience . The wru has recently signed a deal for Welsh players to go to Hartpury so I expect more Welsh players coming up through the English academies in the next few years.

Last edited:
Leon Brown being picked over WGJ(/at all) is madness,
At least WillGriff remains EQP for another season.

Not Leon Brown, but Lee is the one that's lucky for me. Has been better recently but hasn't played as well as he did in his earlier years.

Great to see Sheedy in there. Adds real strength.

Disappointed that WGJ won't make his debut after being in line to start v Scotland before it was called off.

Hewitt and Steff Evans deserved spots ahead of Holmes imo. Hewitt in particular has been a shining light for Dragons and looks to have it all.

Didn't expect to see Lloyd in there quite yet. Looks class, but very early for him.

Would have loved to see Kieran Williams involved, but his time will come no doubt.

Latest posts