• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs France (22/02/20)

Curious as to why not. After all, its head protection, covers the side of the head (the more delicate part) and the forehead. Which implies some padding to reduce the force of impact, even if it doesnt cover everything.
Concussion is caused by the brain bashing against the skull - 5mm of sponge doesn't reduce the force, at most it'll slightly spread it out. Your skull is still gonna move from the collision, it just won't be concentrated into one point.
They're for stopping cuts/cauliflower ears/protecting stitches etc.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...l=Med+Sci+Sports+Exerc&volume=41&pages=306-13

American Footballers still get concussions and they're wearing serious head protection.

The starting lineup doesn't really fill me with too much confidence.

Agree with moriarty coming in tho and tomkins needs to be on top of his game defending vakatawa, this game will determine his international quality.

North needs a good performance and at least a try otherwise I can't see the coaching staff persisting with him.

Looking on the positive side, our final 20 minute team has quite a bit of zip about it. Tomos and Jarrod potentially at 9 and 10, McNicholl to come on and test some tiring legs. Hopefully this time we're not chasing a huge deficit.

Also to stay alive in this championship we really need a bonus point win IMO.

Prediction: Wales 31-24 France:D

Just regarding Biggar - has he ACTUALLY been concussed (in the last 3 times) or been monitored for suspected concussion but passed fit (ie not concussed)?

I think France are gonna love this game for the first 60 mins or so. If Wales can keep the scores tight (but just behind), I think Wales will win. Otherwise, they dont have enough weapons to claw back from too far behind.
Really hope for North's sake he pulls something out of the bag but I think we will only see WayneBall when all backs subs come on.
I shall be getting leathered either way :D. Hope everyone enjoys the weekend of rugby! And the drinks.

Just regarding Biggar - has he ACTUALLY been concussed (in the last 3 times) or been monitored for suspected concussion but passed fit (ie not concussed)?
Failed 3 HIAs, I think
I'm not sure if there is an actual test for concussion beyond recognising the symptoms (think I read about a breathalyser type test being developed in America/the NFL?) - you can get scans etc. but that's looking for more serious damage (bleeds etc.) but if the independent doctors won't let you play after a head injury that's as close to a confirmation as you'll get I think.

Edit;
For clarity: I'm not claiming the doctors are fudging his results or anything, I've no doubt he's passed every test they've set him etc. My issue is that that many head injuries in such a short period of time is an issue for his long term health, even if he isn't concussed at this moment.

Scrum caps don't help with concussions
Concussion is caused by the brain bashing against the skull - 5mm of sponge doesn't reduce the force, at most it'll slightly spread it out. Your skull is still gonna move from the collision, it just won't be concentrated into one point.
They're for stopping cuts/cauliflower ears/protecting stitches etc.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?author=AS+McIntosh&author=P+McCrory&author=CF+Finch&***le=Does+padded+headgear+prevent+head+injury+in+rugby+union+football?&publication_year=2009&journal=Med+Sci+Sports+Exerc&volume=41&pages=306-13

American Footballers still get concussions and they're wearing serious head protection.
Wish I could give more than 1 upvote for each comment, quoting to draw attention because this is important to repeat every time the topic comes up.

Curious as to why not. After all, its head protection, covers the side of the head (the more delicate part) and the forehead. Which implies some padding to reduce the force of impact, even if it doesnt cover everything.

@Which Tyler

(he really knows his stuff)

@Which Tyler

(he really knows his stuff)
Olyy covered it.
Scrum caps are to reduces cuts, abrasions, bruising by reducing friction and pressure.
They pad the outside of the skull.
Concussions takes place on the inside of the skull.
If in doubt, take a scrum cap to the back of a cricket bat. Hit yourself on the knee with the front of the bat. Tell me exactly how much the scrum cap helped.

What we do know, is that wearing scrum caps increases risk taking behaviour, so you're MORE likely to suffer concussion as a result of wearing one, than not.

Looking forward to this game more than the England one.
For the first time in a long while, France are looking good with a young exciting team.
I'm hoping for a narrow French win simply because the 6n needs a strong France to make up for hapless Italy and not a lot better Scotland.

But in saying that, I expect home advantage and a very experienced Wales to win by a narrow margin.

Despite Wales being far more experienced than France, I am worried about this game. This new generation of French players looks very good.

Apparently Clermonts side this weekend had more France caps than the France side does - pretty wild

I've driven up to Manchester a few hours early just so I can watch all of this game, so it best be good.

I've got a feeling it will be.

Can't wait, think this will be a great game. Fickou on the wing is bizarre, Eddie Jones esque. Vakatawa against Tompkins will be a massive test.

Ntamack needs to take charge today for France to have any chance.

Real important day for nick Tompkins. Wearing the red 13 shirt for the anthem at millennium, an idea that first crossed his mind 20 days ago.

Mandatory; I hate this commentary and coverage. It's awful.

Game itself is alreet though!

Think ive worked out Norths defensive issues. He thinks hes still as quick as he was 5 years ago, shows people the outside and then cant get back! Got done by a center!

Latest posts