• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs Italy (01/02/20)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
proxy.php
VS
Italy.png

14:15, 01/02/2020
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Wales:
15. Leigh Halfpenny (85 Caps), 14. Johnny McNicholl (*Uncapped), 13. George North (91 Caps), 12. Hadleigh Parkes (25 Caps), 11. Josh Adams (21 Caps), 10. Dan Biggar (79 Caps), 9. Tomos Williams (16 Caps), 1. Wyn Jones (22 Caps), 2. Ken Owens (73 Caps), 3. Dillon Lewis (22 Caps), 4. Jake Ball (42 Caps), 5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (134 Caps), 6. Aaron Wainwright (18 Caps), 7. Justin Tipuric (72 Caps), 8. Taulupe Faletau (72 Caps)

Replacements:
Ryan Elias (9 Caps), Rob Evans (36 Caps) Leon Brown (6 Caps), Cory Hill (24 Caps), Ross Moriarty (41 Caps), Rhys Webb (31 Caps), Jarrod Evans (3 Caps), Nick Tompkins (*Uncapped).​

I though discussions about DAROOF were limited to England matches?

Ah well no point in watching this unless Wales decide to make massive cock up of it.

I though discussions about DAROOF were limited to England matches?

Ah well no point in watching this unless Wales decide to make massive cock up of it.
:D You obviously missed the Wales vs Ireland 6 Nations thread last year then...

#tookittoanewlevel #newroofbros

So the 23 I'd go with for Saturday would be:

15. Halfpenny, 14. McNicholl, 13. Tompkins, 12. Parkes, 11. Adams, 10. Biggar, 9. Williams
1. Jones, 2. Owens, 3. John, 4. Hill, 5. Jones, 6. Wainwright, 7. Tipuric, 8. Faletau

16. Dee, 17. Evans, 18. Brown, 19. Rowlands, 20. Navidi, 21. Davies, 22. Evans, 23. Rees-Zammit

I have a feeling that Pivac will probably go with North at 13 though... which would maybe mean Tompkins on the bench instead of Rees-Zammit.

The talk I've seen is suggesting North at 13, not sure why to be honest. North has never really looked anything more than adequate at 13 while Tompkins has been one of better centres in the prem.

The talk I've seen is suggesting North at 13, not sure why to be honest. North has never really looked anything more than adequate at 13 while Tompkins has been one of better centres in the prem.
Im with you Mike... the only thing I can think of is if you don't play George at 13 on Saturday... it'll be too late to try it in any of the other matches.

I've also heard that George's character might not be the type that would react well to being dropped... not that he would spit his dummy out or anything but he would go into himself and he'd struggle to re-emerge. Still this is top level sports and you have to do what is best for the team and not the individual... either way Pivac has my faith until he doesn't if you know what I mean.

I suspect it will be North at 13 with Tompkins on the bench, I think he'll want to see both in action due to our current weakness at centre. How early North gets subbed will likely depend on how well Wales are doing at half time. It would be nice to see Rees-Zammit get a showing, but realistically we are well off with wingers compared to centres.

We've seen North a few times at Centre for both Wales and the Ospreys and it's just underwhelming. To me Wales are better off giving time to the younger centres who have proved they can play the position at a high standard.

I'd agree North has been underwhelming for the Ospreys, but then the Ospreys havent exactly been outstanding this season.
Of course we dont know what Pivac has seen in training and what his overall plan is, but I think my personal preference would be to start Tompkins at 13 and have North on the bench to cover 13 and wing. Then assuming Italy are starting to come apart in the second hanlf, bring North on. At 13 if Pivac wants tos ee him there, if not against a deteriorating Italy in the wing hw could do a lot of damage. I guess we'll know soon...

Stephen Jones has just stated that Elliott Dee is an injury concern and hasn't trained all week due to a rib issue. He hasn't been ruled out for Saturday but in my opinion... if he hasn't trained just go with Elias as Ken cover for this one and reevaluate the options for Ireland when we get to it.

Also, despite Faletau going off late in the match against Leicester on the weekend he has been given a full bill of health.

Jonathan Davies' (Jiff's) Wales XV v Italy

Johnny McNicholl; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, WillGriff John, Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Aaron Shingler, Taulupe Faletau, Justin Tipuric.

So with it looking more and more likely that George will be played at 13 on Saturday... and if he goes well I can imagine him being selected there in tougher tests like the one the following wee, are there any examples of wingers who have been moved inside to 13 successfully?

Jamie Roberts was capped on the wing/full back originally.
Yeah, was thinking more about 13 in particular though due to the defensive responsibility at that point in the line.

Honestly, I personally think it's a little late in George's career anyway. It will be difficult for him to adapt after that long out on the wing. That's why I'm so keen for the Blues to start giving Lane time at 13, as I'm concerned it'll be too late otherwise.

Latest posts