• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs Italy (01/02/20)

How do you think George will do there, this side of the Irish Sea we aren't overly keen?

Hard to know. I can remember him playing there a bit in the early days and he wasn't as good there as he was on the wing. I wouldn't be super enthused about him playing their but I don't know what other options you guys have available. I can see it being good for him in terms of impact with seeing more ball but given his injury history maybe not great and without a playmaker at 12 I wouldn't be expecting linebreaks from creativity.

I certainly thought he'd end up at 13 during his early years, however a complete lack of options out wide didn't really allow it. Now there's a ton of options at wing I don't mind hin being tested there properly. I know there's concerns over his decision making at 13, especially in defense, but unless he's given a run of games there for region and country we'll never know if he's capable of adapting. He's only ever had the odd match there in the past against the likes of Aus (pretty tough opposition from a defensive point of view), and whilst he's not necessarily excelled there, I don't recall him completely dropping thr ball in any obvious way.

At 27 he's potentially got another 5-6 years of international rugby in him. I know with his injury issues there's no guarantees, but you'd hope he'll at least make the next world cup. There's plenty of time for him to have an impact in the centre.

I think we'll probably see North and Tompkins both getting game time v Italy, with Watkin joining them as an option vs Ireland the following week.

I think he probably would've played there a bit more had we not had Jonathan Davies around too. I suppose the thing that adds to the concern over him defending the 13 channel is... 1) it's a particularly difficult area to defend & 2) I've seen George make some terrible defensive reads at wing, which is so much easier given the touch line is there to help you.

Still, if he gets selected I'll be wishing him all the best... the pressure will be well and truly on him though.

Last edited:
Gareth Thomas and Hal Luscombe are other Welshmen to move inside as well. Both were wingers originally werent they? Didnt Shanklin and Dafydd James also get initial Wales caps as wingers then go to 13? They have all definately played both and done well so its quite a common move I suppose.

Gareth Thomas and Hal Luscombe are other Welshmen to move inside as well. Both were wingers originally werent they? Didnt Shanklin and Dafydd James also get initial Wales caps as wingers then go to 13? They have all definately played both and done well so its quite a common move I suppose.
Think Thomas, James and Shanks were always considered centres at club level but got their international starts on the wings to ease them in to it.

James was definately a wing. Remember watching him at Bridgend and he toured and played all 3 Lions tests as a wing in 2001.

James was definately a wing. Remember watching him at Bridgend and he toured and played all 3 Lions tests as a wing in 2001.
Not saying he didn't play wing but I'm pretty sure he came through as a centre... just ended up on the wing. I remember Alfie and James having quite the centre partnership at Bridgend back in the mid 90's.

According to Wales online:

Expected Wales team:
Leigh Halfpenny; George North; Nick Tompkins; Hadleigh Parkes; Josh Adams; Dan Biggar; Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones; Ken Owens; Leon Brown; Jake Ball; Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Aaron Wainwright; Justin Tipuric; Taulupe Faletau.

No mention of bench apart that LRZ is expected to fill the 23 shirt

According to Wales online:

Expected Wales team:
Leigh Halfpenny; George North; Nick Tompkins; Hadleigh Parkes; Josh Adams; Dan Biggar; Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones; Ken Owens; Leon Brown; Jake Ball; Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Aaron Wainwright; Justin Tipuric; Taulupe Faletau.

No mention of bench apart that LRZ is expected to fill the 23 shirt
Well, if that is the team I'm happy that Tompkins gets the start at 13, little bit gutted for McNicholl though.

McNicholl did have some injury issues, so I wonder whether he's been left out because he's not 100% yet?

Yeah maybe that... and wanting to give George just that one more chance (I'm probably being more than a little unfair there though tbh).

Last edited:
I would be happy with that team to be fair, I would like to see Will Griff John at least get a chance.

Leon Brown's scrumaging has improved this season under Dragon's new scrum coach but I'm still a bit apprehensive about him at test level.

Yeah he's had a good season and he should be more than up to the task of scrummaging the Italians but for me he'd be more suited to making an impact off the bench.

Last edited:

Hi all, haven't passed through here for a while. Can we add 2005 grand slam winning winger Mark Taylor while we're at it?

Just to clear this up - all of the above were centres by trade, and asked to do a job or eased in on the wing for Wales before being trusted at centre (except Mark Taylor obs - that was just me making a flippant entrance). The thing they all have in common is they were big lumps with enough pace, and sound handling skills - so a good fit for the wing when we weren't blessed with options.

I don't feel the reverse is anywhere near as easy though - there's a lot more defensive nous required at centre, and realignment is very different - at wing you very much hold your wing regardless, unless you are playing a set move or given licence to roam. Best of luck to him though - he was very creative when he first burst through so if he can trouble defences from midfield and still release ball for our back three I'll be happy.

Hi all, haven't passed through here for a while. Can we add 2005 grand slam winning winger Mark Taylor while we're at it?

Just to clear this up - all of the above were centres by trade, and asked to do a job or eased in on the wing for Wales before being trusted at centre (except Mark Taylor obs - that was just me making a flippant entrance). The thing they all have in common is they were big lumps with enough pace, and sound handling skills - so a good fit for the wing when we weren't blessed with options.

I don't feel the reverse is anywhere near as easy though - there's a lot more defensive nous required at centre, and realignment is very different - at wing you very much hold your wing regardless, unless you are playing a set move or given licence to roam. Best of luck to him though - he was very creative when he first burst through so if he can trouble defences from midfield and still release ball for our back three I'll be happy.

upload_2020-1-29_23-50-29.jpeg

Latest posts