TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Apologies if there's already a thread for this, but couldn't see one on first look.

Dimes has let the cat out of the bag on the makeup of the SA training squad, saying that all of the following have been called up:
  • Faf
  • Rob du Preez
  • Dan du Preez
  • Jean-Luc du Preez
  • Rohan
  • Akker
  • Oosthuizen
and that Lood will likely miss the internationals after dislocating his shoulder on the weekend - waiting on scans to see if there's any more damage, but it doesn't look good considering it's the same shoulder he injured in the RWC final

Playing for Sale has the exact opposite effect on Saffers to the English:
Play for Sale: Never play for England
Play for Sale: Revive those Springbok dreams

For this SA training squad, is it a case of being pulled out from Sale when the training takes place? Because that sounds like one hell of an impact on your squad (Poor Jono Ross left asking why he can't join his friends).

But I do remember in the past during Super Rugby seasons, Rassie would have multiple training workshops with different teams which would be way bigger than the final squad (e.g. 30 players from coastal teams one week, then 30 players from inland teams the following week). Is this for the full training squad or is this part of a "European training workshop" group?

For this SA training squad, is it a case of being pulled out from Sale when the training takes place? Because that sounds like one hell of an impact on your squad (Poor Jono Ross left asking why he can't join his friends).
Apparently the camp is after the end of the season (so late October, I guess?) - however the international games (if they do go ahead) will impact the start of next seasons Premiership

Only a couple of rounds though, and we've the depth to cover that early on (providing next season returns to a game a week, and not the current game-every-4-days)

But I do remember in the past during Super Rugby seasons, Rassie would have multiple training workshops with different teams which would be way bigger than the final squad (e.g. 30 players from coastal teams one week, then 30 players from inland teams the following week). Is this for the full training squad or is this part of a "European training workshop" group?
It does seem like maybe he's doing a NH camp and a SH - I can't see why all 7 of these players would've been called up otherwise (I would've guessed at Faf and one, or both, of the twins)

Well there's not much news about these camps yet, but I guess it could be one of 2 things:

1. To get a squad together to travel to NZ to be under quarantine for a period ahead of the RC (if it goes ahead).
2. To get everyone on board ahead of the 8 Nations tournament which we most likely will join based on the few reports that have come out on this subject.

The obvious thing is to get all the players together with the new coaching team, and get a team ready that is fit and ready. We have a problem at lock with Etzebeth, Snyman and Lood now out injured. So it's up to Mostert and a new group of locks to take over the roles.

With Jason Jenkins also returning to the Bulls over the weekend, he's also in the run to get a call up.

It all looks like we'll downgrade our lockdown status by 15 September to level 1. Which will also allow more freedom on international travel and other things.

So it's exciting to hear that there are actually plans to have a camp, regardless for what it's for.

Latest posts