• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Super Rugby] Round 3 (14-16 February)

Hey, y'all - there's been all this mess with Saracens in the NH regarding salary cap violations and so on... What is the setup for Super Rugby? Is there a salary cap? Are the teams centrally owned and controlled, or at least, regionally? How is the structure compared to the Prem and the Pro14?

(Mods, feel free to move if there was a better spot!)

Saders (Blues my nemesis team, still think the Crusaders have enough collective experience on exactly how to bounce back and to unsettle this improving Blues outfit)
Tahs (Rebels have a disastrous track record against the Tahs and this year they look even weaker)
Chiefs (Lovely running game, Wolves to give it their all and then realize who they playing against, 2020 finalists(going brave here))
Hurricanes (Last weeks Canes win against the Jags is exactly what the Sharks didn't need, with Bosch not playing and the Canes bouncing back, feel the Canes to take a close and entertaining game)
Brumbies (Highlanders will keep on improving but only get results about round 4-5 and then remain competitive, Brumbies will be to strong at home)
Stormers
(See old Jannie being scrummed back to France and the Stormers to make new Lions coach Ivan say WTF did I get myself into...)
Jags (To give the Reds a good hiding)

This i can begrudgingly agree with, we're running new locks, new 1st 5 2nd 5 compo and new outside backs....theyre going to take some time to click....the really generous side of me would like to think we're doing what the Blues should have done years ago...actually invested in the future, more or less flag this season to build a future

Not much of a crowd in Melbourne. The Green Bay Packers sell out their games in snowy blizzards, but the fans don't show up in Melbourne because of rain. o_O

Rebels lead the Waratahs 11-10 at the 60:00 mark.

Last edited:
The Crusaders look to be back in top form after defeating the Blues 25-8. Both teams sputtered in the first half, but it was all Crusaders after that.

17 each between the Hurricanes and Sharks at Halftime, Both sides hitting back after the other scores. Sharks doing well to stay in the game after losing two fly halves and only including two backline players on the bench. We have no one else to bring on in the second half if anyone gets injured so im hoping for a miracle.

I dig the Sunwolves, but the Chiefs were clearly the better team winning 43-17. Big crowd for the game in Tokyo, the TV announcer said they had close to 19K in the 20K stadium. I love the Sunwolves fans, very courteous to both sides win or lose.

Last edited:
Sjoe Stormers can play rugby when they have a mind to. Great game.

Wow! That Highlanders 23 @ Brumbies 22 match was something else. Lot's of fun to watch. Thank you ESPN+.

I really dont understand the rules anymore.
If someone doesnt try to wrap arms around the ball carrier, and makes contact shoulder-to-the-chest first, then (millisecond later) shoulder-to-head, that is only a penalty?
I could sware that was red not that long ago.

Other than that, then the ref killed the Reds quite a few times (a scrum on our 5m line should have been penalty for them, not us, a tackle without the ball, we had quite a few offsides on rucks that weren't called, etc). I'd be quite angry if i were a Reds supporter.

Our defense, particularly from the backs, is nothing short of appalling. It is only marginally above existent. Moroni is the only one even attempting to tackle opponents. A poorly placed cone in the field would have the same defensive capabilities as Boffelli. Maybe even more. At least you need to get around the cone.

Our forwards weren't as bad defensively, but light-years away from being even decent, let alone their former selves. The only turnover was at min 76 by Moroni, a back... If you cant get even a couple of turnovers against a team like the Reds, you just wont be able to compete against stronger teams.

If we play like the 1H against the stormers they will tear us a new one.

If someone doesnt try to wrap arms around the ball carrier, and makes contact shoulder-to-the-chest first, then (millisecond later) shoulder-to-head, that is only a penalty?

Other than that, then the ref killed the Reds quite a few times (a scrum on our 5m line should have been penalty for them, not us, a tackle without the ball, we had quite a few offsides on rucks that weren't called, etc). I'd be quite angry if i were a Reds supporter.

Our defense, particularly from the backs, is nothing short of appalling. It is only marginally above existent. Moroni is the only one even attempting to tackle opponents. A poorly placed cone in the field would have the same defensive capabilities as Boffelli. Maybe even more. At least you need to get around the cone.

Our forwards weren't as bad defensively, but light-years away from being even decent, let alone their former selves. The only turnover was at min 76 by Moroni, a back... If you cant get even a couple of turnovers against a team like the Reds, you just wont be able to compete against stronger teams.

I've got to say I agree with you, the Ref seemed to make the rules up as he went along. He absolutely demolished the Reds with penalties while the Jaguares got away with murder and rarely got pinged for anything. I'm not one to blame the ref but he was the 16th Man and MVP for the Jaguares today. Some of their tries came off very questionable penalty kicks to the 5m line for the maul.
But the Reds really looked switched off completely for the last 15 minutes and Moses Sorovi should never play again. 3 games in a row he's come on and been completely useless. Hunter Paisami looked great in the midfield and Chris Sautia looked great for 60 minutes before he got tired, I can't wait for Filipo Daungunu to return.

I was also not a fan of the Ref speaking to the Jaguares front row in Spanish and then when JP Smith asked him what he said to them he replied "You don't need to know".

Our defense, particularly from the backs, is nothing short of appalling. It is only marginally above existent.A poorly placed cone in the field would have the same defensive capabilities as Boffelli. Maybe even more. At least you need to get around the cone.

Love it, Marginally above existent, poorly placed cone in the field has better defensive capabilities.:D

I was also not a fan of the Ref speaking to the Jaguares front row in Spanish and then when JP Smith asked him what he said to them he replied "You don't need to know".
This is complete Bullshit, they have the right to know. Anyone care to provide a transaltion if there is something audible?

I'm the last guy to complain about the rules, but I find myself agreeing with you here.

Latest posts