• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Aren't the Du Preez brothers meant to be leaving as well, would assume Sale aren't going to throw all the eggs in the Wilkinson basket?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sale don't completely change their squad

Build around Quirke and Wilkinson
Could potentially free up a lot of cap from some players.

Might not have the international names but some very good potential signings can be made for cheaper in the post COVID market now

Might not have the international names but some very good potential signings can be made for cheaper in the post COVID market now
Seems logical. No relegation gives them the option but if Du Preez's do leave, i'd exepct a senior 10 in.

Yeh I 100% expect someone to come in if RDP does come in.
Ford is the obvious target - RDP and AJ cap for Ford would line up in that regards.

Although question might be then would Wilkinson or Curtis really want to play back up to a Ford that has potentially 4/5 more years in his prime?

Jesus was not expecting that.... Wait does that mean Lloyd or Sheedy are off?
Sheedy out of contract this year so presumably the WRU are pressuring - though Bristol have zero depth behind him so imagine they'd have been looking for a 10 anyway

I know he's not had a ton of game time but I don't think Wilkinson looks like his ceiling is that high tbh
Curtis looks the better of the two, but I wouldn't want to go into next season with RdP as starter and two very inexperienced question marks behind him

The Ford rumours were before the Borthwick resurgence - no way he'd leave Leicester for us now
Lozowski would be a more realistic target

I fully expect us to resign RdP and press on with Wilkinson/Curtis behind him, though - and probably sign another backrow or centre, cause we have a history of never signing what we need, only in positions where we're well stacked

It has to be this.
In a world of shrinking salary cap AND shrinking marquee allowance AND grandfathering in existing higher paying deals - I don't see any Prem club being able to afford to entice a player that the existing club actively wants to keep.

Sheedy out of contract this year so presumably the WRU are pressuring - though Bristol have zero depth behind him so imagine they'd have been looking for a 10 anyway

I know he's not had a ton of game time but I don't think Wilkinson looks like his ceiling is that high tbh
Curtis looks the better of the two, but I wouldn't want to go into next season with RdP as starter and two very inexperienced question marks behind him

Well I guess the potential question is would they be inexperienced they could very well be sitting on 20+ proper senior games for Sale by then.

The Du Preez's are out of contract this summer also and potentially RJVR.
Personally I could see Sale eyeing up Kruis for Lood and JP du Preez, Ford for AJ and RdP

I suppose it's about making the leap. Look at the top 10s out there in the Prem

Smith - Thrown into it by Quins injuries
Umaga - Thrown into it by Soponga being awful
Simmonds - Changing of guard for Steenson
Grayson - Biggar being away
Fin Smith - Wuss 10s not playing well/injured
Sheedy - Madigan being awful
Manu Vunipola - Tail end of relegation season plus Championship.

Sale I suppose were always going to need to make that commitment at some point so maybe that's going to be now/end of this season.

On AJ tough one.
Hell of a player avaiable all year basically BUT has been getting injured more often it seems.

In terms of Value prob the best 10 in the Premiership though, no way teams can find a quality like him for what was most likely a middle of the road wage.

On AJ tough one.
Hell of a player avaiable all year basically BUT has been getting injured more often it seems.

In terms of Value prob the best 10 in the Premiership though, no way teams can find a quality like him for what was most likely a middle of the road wage.
Wasps can testify to that. Even abroad, you are unlikely to land someone who can make such an impact.

Alex Lozowski might be free depending on how his contract was worded certainly out of contract either end of this season or the season after (Usually loan deals count as a year in the contract but don't know how planned it is)

Sanderson will know all about Alex, plays everywhere but suspect after his stint in France I could see preferring 10.

The Du Preez's are out of contract this summer also and potentially RJVR.
Unless we signed new deals on the sly when renegotiating COVID wages then a very large chunk of our squad are out of contract,
A vague google (not even of the whole squad) suggests at a minimum the following:
Rob du Preez
AJ MacGinty
Lood de Jager
Rohan
Akker
Coenie
Jono
Byron
Cliff
Hammersley
JP du Preez

Think this is a big part of it - similar happened with WGJ who came to us from the Championship and left as a tier 1 international(/would've been capped but for COVID), signing a like-for-like replacement would cost a lot more
Personally I could see Sale eyeing up Kruis for Lood and JP du Preez, Ford for AJ and RdP
I hope we're either chasing Kruis, if he's not signed for Saints, or whispering in Isiekwe's ear that once Kruis is back he'll find gametime harder to comeby at Sarries

Unless we signed new deals on the sly when renegotiating COVID wages then a very large chunk of our squad are out of contract,
A vague google (not even of the whole squad) suggests at a minimum the following:
Rob du Preez
AJ MacGinty
Lood de Jager
Rohan
Akker
Coenie
Jono
Byron
Cliff
Hammersley
JP du Preez

Think this is a big part of it - similar happened with WGJ who came to us from the Championship and left as a tier 1 international(/would've been capped but for COVID), signing a like-for-like replacement would cost a lot more

I hope we're either chasing Kruis, if he's not signed for Saints, or whispering in Isiekwe's ear that once Kruis is back he'll find gametime harder to comeby at Sarries
Looking at that list, if i was Sale, I would have wanted to re-sign (MacGinty, Jono, Byron, Hammersley, Cliff, and the twins/Rob Du Preez.

Let JP Du Preez, Lood De Jager, Akker and Coenie go. Akker is very good but Ashman, Langdon and Taylor are good enough, JP Du Preez could be replaced quite easily and De Jager isn't getting value for money, better use on Kruis and maybe increase salary of other second row. Coenie isn't a good enough tighthead and again could be better used.

Also when do we expect the roundabout of transfer to kick off? not long after christmas i'd presume?

I don't think the twins are out of contract - think they've a year left
Could be wrong, though - if they do have a year left then expect RdP to get an extension to keep them sweet
@TRF_Olyy how much is the stadium going to cost Sale and is there a worry that Sale might not be able to spend up to the cap for a while with that factoring in?
I don't think it will factor into the wages tbh - our owners are rich regardless, but also very savvy on the business side. The number of/level of sponsors/sponsorships we have has skyrocketed, and our corporate side is going very well - from what I read we were breaking even before covid even with tiny crowds and no food/drinks revenue, due to how much the corpo boxes were raking in

Also when do we expect the roundabout of transfer to kick off? not long after christmas i'd presume?
Traditionally clubs weren't allowed to approach players until after Jan 1st, but that looks like it's out the window now so who knows
Usually once one is named it gets the ball rolling, so this one might spark others

I don't think the twins are out of contract - think they've a year left
Could be wrong, though - if they do have a year left then expect RdP to get an extension to keep them sweet

I don't think it will factor into the wages tbh - our owners are rich regardless, but also very savvy on the business side. The number of/level of sponsors/sponsorships we have has skyrocketed, and our corporate side is going very well - from what I read we were breaking even before covid even with tiny crowds, due to how much the corpo boxes were raking in

Traditionally clubs weren't allowed to approach players until after Dec 1st, but that looks like it's out the window now so who knows
Usually once one is named it gets the ball rolling, so this one might spark others
It's interesting that clubs are realising that Stadiums can be a huge source of cash by using for additional sponsorship, activties, corporate etc.

the Coventry Build Society Arena has had a huge influx or additional facilities and revenue streams to help fund all 3 club teams.

I mean Sale IMO should be looking to let most of those players go plenty of better younger English players about who are 2nd choices elswhere or with a poor team off top of my head

Haywood (Saints) for Akker
Heyes (Tigers) for Coenie
Kruis (Japan) for Lood
Moon (Saints) for JP du Preez
Ted Hill (Wuss) for Jono (More realistic would be if Du Preez twins leave)
Lozowski (Sarries) for AJ
Lawrance (Wuss) for RJVR
Hammer-Webb (Bath) for McGuigan
Hodge (Exe) for Hammersley

Alex Moon could be a massive target for a team looking for a lock TBH, 25 years old, 6ft 7, On England radar. Would IMO benefit from a more forward focused coach.

I mean Sale IMO should be looking to let most of those players go plenty of better younger English players about who are 2nd choices elswhere or with a poor team off top of my head

Haywood (Saints) for Akker
Heyes (Tigers) for Coenie
Kruis (Japan) for Lood
Moon (Saints) for JP du Preez
Ted Hill (Wuss) for Jono (More realistic would be if Du Preez twins leave)
Lozowski (Sarries) for AJ
Lawrance (Wuss) for RJVR
Hammer-Webb (Bath) for McGuigan
Hodge (Exe) for Hammersley

Alex Moon could be a massive target for a team looking for a lock TBH, 25 years old, 6ft 7, On England radar. Would IMO benefit from a more forward focused coach.
I mean that's some serious business to be done.

I'd be surprised if Lawrence/Hill decide to leave. They will be on serious cash at Wuss so unless anyone coughs up that's gonna be hard. Heyes will be offered a bumper deal at Tigers with Cole on his way out but i could see all the others being open to it.

Latest posts