• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Danilo Fischetti now confirmed by Irish. Sounds like they have quite a few incoming but yet to be announced.

Somewhat interesting in that those big name players are the reason the cap and squads have been squeezed really.

Let's be real if the cap was back up all that would mainly happen is that the Internationals would be back earning 400-500k rather than 250-350k
I doubt we'll see many big names taking huge paycuts. If you are an England player someone is going to give you the cash and if you are outside the squad you can show clubs your offer from France and get them to match it. Clubs will save money by replacing all the middle tier guys with academy guys on minimum contracts. Going to be interesting to see what the league looks like when the England players are away with the national team.

Alex McHenry and Sean French -> English clubs. Don't know which yet. Additionally Rowan Osbourne and Johnathan Wren are forced into early retirement with injury.

Alex McHenry and Sean French -> English clubs. Don't know which yet. Additionally Rowan Osbourne and Johnathan Wren are forced into early retirement with injury.
I wonder if we might sign McHenry? Played with us for a little bit.

Callum MacRae to Benetton from Edinburgh (defence coach). Very decent signing for Benetton assuming he can speak the lingo. Not great for Edinburgh whose defence was getting praise.

Quins leavers now confirmed:

Joe Gray (retiring)
Matt Symons (retiring)
Huw Jones (Glasgow)
Hugh Tizard (Saracens)
Christian Scotland-Williamson (no club)
Craig Trenier (no club)
Mak Wilson (no club)

No real surprises there. I'm disappointed it didn't work out with CSW, I thought he might be able to make it, but it hasn't happened. Not sure whether it's injury related, but he arrived needing surgery and only played for us once or twice.

We definetly need an A-lister lock imo, but it won't happen.

Lewies is a shadow of himself at the moment, Hammond is good but not that level yet, Lamb and Matas are both either more suited to 6 or need to get bigger (lamb has already but still isn't a "baby eater".

It just worries me that we have lost two of our "big lump" locks, and one who may have become one, and all we have replaced them with is Herbst

Quins leavers now confirmed:

Joe Gray (retiring)
Matt Symons (retiring)
Huw Jones (Glasgow)
Hugh Tizard (Saracens)
Christian Scotland-Williamson (no club)
Craig Trenier (no club)
Mak Wilson (no club)

No real surprises there. I'm disappointed it didn't work out with CSW, I thought he might be able to make it, but it hasn't happened. Not sure whether it's injury related, but he arrived needing surgery and only played for us once or twice.

Did Trenier play at all?

Couple of games, but been injured almost the entire two years I think
Yeah. Since my earlier post, I read Tabai Matson's press release and Trenier is actually retiring. It's a shame as he looked like a promising signing.

London Irish have confirmed Luca Morisi. Good signing, but a slightly strange one on a couple of fronts. 1) Will Joseph looks like the coming man at 13. Why limit his game time by signing an international that will expect to play? 2) Irish already have quite a lot of non EQ players and reportedly have a fair few more due to arrive (Ratinuyawara, Fa'aso'o and Powell all heavily linked). Flying a bit close to the wind there with the changes on the horizon.

London Irish have confirmed Luca Morisi. Good signing, but a slightly strange one on a couple of fronts. 1) Will Joseph looks like the coming man at 13. Why limit his game time by signing an international that will expect to play? 2) Irish already have quite a lot of non EQ players and reportedly have a fair few more due to arrive (Ratinuyawara, Fa'aso'o and Powell all heavily linked). Flying a bit close to the wind there with the changes on the horizon.
Agreed to an extent but he is 31 and experienced they may have got a good deal.

Tbh i like Lirish back line, have they signed a 9 with phipps leaving? (I think)

It's a good signing really
12. BJVR, Morisi
13. Rona, Joesph

Worry is the EQP limit
To be fair, I thought he was more of a 13 than a 12, but looking at his recent games, it seems it's the other way around.

The players who are leaving are mostly non-EQP, but their replacements seem to be the same - for example, Dell is being replaced by Fischetti and Phipps is reportedly being replaced with Powell etc.

Latest posts