• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Not sure.....

Even the falcons have said its bit of a wild card x factor signing, but we need some explosive power in that backline to balance with our smaller electric players.

One to watch i guess.

Simpson confirmed on a 6 month deal:

Good pickup with Raffi and Cliff both out for the start of the season

Simpson confirmed on a 6 month deal:

Good pickup with Raffi and Cliff both out for the start of the season

and you gave tigers grief about Ashton.
Simpson is catching up to him with clubs.

Ulster is a bit of an odd choice given Cooney is a clear first choice and Doak is a highly promising back up.

In other news former Worcester captain GJ van Velze has signed for Bath.

Well their last few - Schoeman (x2), Jaco Coetzee and Jonker haven't done well so far. In some cases that's mostly due to injury, but du Toit's only one they've got a decent return from recently.

Well their last few - Schoeman (x2), Jaco Coetzee and Jonker haven't done well so far. In some cases that's mostly due to injury, but du Toit's only one they've got a decent return from recently.
TBF, the whole squad was trash last year, but not in terms of actual talent of player.
Of those 4, Jaco Coetzee and Tian Schoeman spent the vast majority of their time injured, Jonker was... a bit **** really, and Juan Schoeman was about what you'd expect for a 3rd choice LHP.
This season, we're still not recruiting for the first XV, they're all depth cover, with Attwood (bumped up due to Ewels injury), Francis and Cloete making bids for the bench. Only Annett will really fancy his chances of starting with a full squad to select from.
Any turn around this season is coming from the coaches and the mindset, not the players - which, quite frankly, sounds right to me.

Whilst joking about this, I've just had a look at our squad breakdown:
32 Englishmen
1 Irishman
1 Namibian
7 South Africans
3 Scotsmen

It's still 73% English, and at least 2 of them are EQP (so 78%), with another 6 uncapped (ETA: Oops, I was taking it from a source that had forgotten that Bayliss is Scottish now)
Instinctively, that probably still puts us at the high end of EQP ratio for the Premiership.

Annett should be able to push Dunn on merit, and be well ahead based on last season's form.
ACoetzee is realistically 3rd choice THP (unless Jonker starts living up to his hype), but Stuart and Rae will be missing the start of the season.
Attwood would have been coming in to rotate in and out of the starting XV, as we would have to manage his game time well (same goes for Spencer) - ideally he'd have been rotating with McNally, but Ewels injury already puts paid to that idea.
Tonks, Cloete, Van Velze and White would likely be fighting for a bench spot, whilst Underhill, Reid, Bayliss and JCoetzee are available. Cloete is probably the favourite, and most likely to fight his way into the starting XV.
Schreuder is behind Spencer
Francis is the FH cover from the bench, probably behind both Redpath and Ojomo for starting IC. Assuming Bailey doesn't suffer Second Season Syndrome, of course.
Gallagher may or may not make the bench for versatility - if he's ahead of De Glanville then we've got a much better signing than I expect.

Last edited:
Annett is underrated. IMO he's a very solid Premiership hooker with a good all-round skill set.

I wouldn't rule out a return to form for Dunn though. I wonder if his drop in form was linked to shabby treatment from Eddie Jones combined with a pretty terrible environment at Bath last season?

The pecking order/selection preferences might change under van Graan too. I'd have Reid, Underhill and Bayliss as the starting back row, but van Graan might prefer some South African beef.

Latest posts