• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Annett is underrated. IMO he's a very solid Premiership hooker with a good all-round skill set.

I wouldn't rule out a return to form for Dunn though. I wonder if his drop in form was linked to shabby treatment from Eddie Jones combined with a pretty terrible environment at Bath last season?

The pecking order/selection preferences might change under van Graan too. I'd have Reid, Underhill and Bayliss as the starting back row, but van Graan might prefer some South African beef.
That makes it sound like I under-rate Annett by thinking he's better than you do (given that I think he can push a fringe international on merit, and therefore consider him to be fringe international in quality)

Yeah, we just don't know with Dunn, but there's a tonne of potential reasons.

Agreed, we just don't know - though I'm not sure our Saffers in the backrow come with more beef necessarily. I get the impression that JvG just loves him some Cloete, but Reid, Underhill, Bayliss and Coetzee is a tough foursome to get ahead of. I wouldn't be too surprised if he does, but I think it would be down to familiarity rather than necessarily merit - initially at least.
Either way, we've brought in the new guy, I'm happy to let him have his pre-conceptions, and to do his stuff whilst he gets to know the squad.

I agree with you re. Annett. I thought I was endorsing your original point TBH. 😂

Lucas Berti-Newman from Bristol to Montpellier... huge loss, man is quite the up and coming talent.

Brexit immgration/passport issues a big factor.

Very good singing IMO and very rare that the injury cover is better than the player they're replacing!

Is Ewels out for most of next season?
9-12months recovery, apparently

Not a fan of him as a player but that's really rough, both in terms of quality of life over the next year and also means he'll likely miss possibly his only shot at going to a world cup (we can say what we want about whether he should in the squad or not, but it must be gutting to know it's 100% not happening due to injury)

Not a fan of him as a player but that's really rough, both in terms of quality of life over the next year and also means he'll likely miss possibly his only shot at going to a world cup (we can say what we want about whether he should in the squad or not, but it must be gutting to know it's 100% not happening due to injury)
Totally this.

But the nature of sport means that it opens up opportunities for others. Chessum / Isiekwe presumably.

Agreed. I guess 12mths doesn't rule him out entirely, but he'd have almost no time to prove his fitness/build any form.

To @Old Hooker's point, it creates an opportunity that others will probably take in his absence. Sad for Ewels but probably a good thing for England (even if I feel a bit mean saying that).

Yeah totally agree, dont wish injury on anyone...its awful. I had an ACL and Double Meniscus rupture after a game...was out for 12 months. Was nasty, but im just a local rugby player. But this is their careers...

Anyway it will open doors. I think Chessum will move in to the driving spot. And i really want to see Isiekwe bring his club standards to the international scene. Hes a class act in the prem.

We need these and some of the younger kids coming through to really raise the level. We've been spoilt with Lawes, Itoje, Launchbury and Kruis all at once.

The only issue I have with Chessum (and I do rate him highly/want him to take Ewells spot as third lock) is that he's still built like a hybrid player - Maro plays the full 80 so whoever is coming off the bench is coming on at tighthead lock, and a Maro/Chessum pairing feels a bit lightweight to me
Needs to get on whatever diet (/"supplement") regime Isiekwe is on cause he's filled out over the last season or so and looks like a proper lock now

Chessum still very young though so plenty of natural bulking up to do, especially once he settles on his first choice position

I believe Chessum put a stone on last summer and im pretty sure he'll add more weight as he goes. Tigers have him listed at 18st 8...which is quite a weight already,

If he can add weight again and keep his mobile game...then he'll be quite a proposition.

Knocked out embarrassingly in own World Cup > Knocked out in QF > ?

Obvious progression is champions and winning every match by 15+
He's not got "Knocked out embarrassingly in neighbour's world cup" ticked off his list - gotta go through the whole lot before lifting the trophy

Latest posts