• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 2 (Bledisloe 3) Australia v New Zealand (5/9/2021)

Isn't it the delayed round 2 of the RC which was supposed to be played on 29/8?

3rd Bledisloe this year.

This is all set up for the Wallabies to get their annual win in the game that doesn't matter. When there's no pressure on them against NZ they turn up and play properly. I've seen this movie too many times and know how it ends. Aussies to win by 6 and all the Aussie papers to go on about how "next year could be the year". Yawn. Seriously when was the last time that Australia beat the All Blacks in a game that actually counted?. 2003 I reckon.

It fascinates me the extent to which attitude makes a difference in top level rugby. You could say this one doesn't matter to the all blacks, in the other hand it is still part of the rugby championship, it is the start of a long tour (it's not like we just get this one out if the way and go home) which the players will be trying to get excited about, we have a new captain and vice captains, we have a new (old) ten who will want to show his worth, there are some other positions still contested, newish players will want to continue to prove themselves…

but I agree that the wallabies have more to play for, and it's very difficult, at an unconscious level, to not expect you should win after having won by a record margin last time. Once you expect you shoild win, it's hard to have the same fire.

then again, if it's a loose game because the wallabies try and play, then it's not so much about that fire, that intensity, and actually a more relaxed mindset may just make us more playful, more likely to see opportunities from turnovers….

yeah, they'll definitely want more point on the board to try and win back the RC

Due to the pandemic the match schedule has been altered recently due to travel difficulties and strict quarantine regulations that exist across the various territories in which the tournament is played. There may be further schedule disruptions but SANZAAR will keep rugby fans up-to-date with any such changes via the official website.

Revised match schedule and kick-off times confirmed

SANZAAR has confirmed that eight matches of the tournament will now be staged in Queensland after SANZAAR and the national unions were able to agree to suitable travel, accommodation and quarantine arrangements as regulated by the Queensland state government.

The outstanding second-round match, Australia versus New Zealand, that was due to be played in Perth on Saturday 28 August will be played in the city at Optus Stadium on Sunday 5 September with kick-off 14:00 local time.

Unfortunately, this means there will be no matches played in New South Wales (Sydney and Newcastle), Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) or New Zealand (Auckland and Dunedin) as previously scheduled.

SANZAAR CEO Brendan Morris stated, "We thought last year was tough when we had to implement a Tri-nations tournament in Australia with South Africa absent due to the pandemic, but the current disruption caused by the 'delta variant' of COVID-19 has seen government authorities tighten up border bio-security measures substantially.

"This is totally understandable but after exploring several options, including moving the tournament to South Africa and even Europe, we now look forward with excitement to the remainder of The Rugby Championship in Queensland. Indeed, I am delighted on behalf of the SANZAAR stakeholders that we can now complete this world-class rugby tournament."

"This is an exciting announcement as it confirms a first for international rugby with a series of four double-header weekends of top quality rugby action."

"It is a unique opportunity for Queensland rugby fans and indeed the global broadcast audience to watch the best players and teams go head-to-head in consecutive matches at the same venue on the same day, across the four weekends."

"Our thanks go to our rights-holding host broadcasters - Nine and Stan Sport, Sky NZ, SuperSport and ESPN - for their flexibility and assistance in delivering this match schedule which is an exciting innovation for rugby broadcasts in the southern hemisphere," added Morris.
1630394393342.png

- Information copied from the latest Super Rugby email newsletter

Last edited:
pretty good team all in all, finally

240658856_10158366557271915_8875993068247755967_n.jpg

[h3][/h3]WALLABIES (1-15):James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Allan Alaalatoa, Darcy Swain, Matt Philip, Lachie Swinton, Michael Hooper (c) Rob Valetini, Tate McDermott, Noah Lolesio, Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi, Len Ikitau, Andrew Kellaway, Tom Banks

Reserves: Lachlan Lonergan, Scott Sio, Taniela Tupou, Izack Rodda, Pete Samu, Nic White, Reece Hodge, Jordan Petaia

For the wallabies, I'm not convinced on ikitau but I'm hardly a wallabies expert, and I agree toomua isn't the option to start and don't think he should have last time. He would be good off the bench though. I imagine him and quade will have done a good job as the opposition at training. I think other than that it's very close to the team I would have picked from what's available, interesting to see samu back in the mix out of nowhere. I think tupou, lonnergan, samu, Phipps, and Petaia provide good impact.

for the all blacks, It's alright, still a few changes; close to the best side with a few players getting a chance, especially blackadder and vaai on the bench, jordie and Jordan in the starting side. Rieko is the midfield cover. I would have liked to see damian get more time, but glad jordie gets to play fullback instead of wing, and he hasn't shown much off the bench so damian is probably a better bench option.

they may have actually given the game a bit more meaning than just RC points, i would say this has to be close to full strength, any other changes are subjective except Smith who would walk into this team....if its anythign other than a big win for the AB's more questions will be asked

they may have actually given the game a bit more meaning than just RC points, i would say this has to be close to full strength, any other changes are subjective except Smith who would walk into this team....if its anythign other than a big win for the AB's more questions will be asked
….and whitelock

pretty good team all in all, finally

240658856_10158366557271915_8875993068247755967_n.jpg
Good to see the ABs picking the strongest available side. Yes no Smith, Mo'unga or Whitelock but we knew that already. I guess this is not a "dead-rubber" because there's Rugby Championship points on offer. I said the Wallabies would win this one…. I'll rethink that I think. All Blacks by 20.

BB not a bad replacement for Mo'unga. Lol. Still got his bro to do the difficult long range kicks. And McKenzie on the bench.

Still looks a very strong side, I really hope Brad Weber does well, he's quicker to clear the ball than Smith & Perenara and he has a great mind for the game showing fantastic leadership at the chiefs. Fairly big back 3 and significant jump in size swapping DMac and Sevu for Jordie and and Rieko. DMac and Sevu have been good, does seem like a few changes are all about rotation, which I'm fine with. And maybe shifting DMac's focus from 15 to 10 in Richie's absence.

While weber might be quicker at clearing the ball on average, meaning time between the player getting tackled and the ball getting to the first receiver, that's largely because smith varies that time depending on the situation. Weber just always wants to play fast, which is why I think he is a great sub. Of course there was that two year period when smith spent half his time complaining to the ref, but luckily he's gotten passed that. And it's worth noting that the speed of smiths pass is significantly superior when he wants it to be, and no one can make the flat passes that frequently lead to tries or breaks even remotely as well as he can. Du pont may be an amazing player, very close to best in the world, but those flat passes of smith often have such a significant impact on the game that i still think smith is number one. Weber does play that flat game too, but not the same as smith.

its quite a big difference in speed though, it looks like a lot of the time weber is making a decision on where to pass or what he is going to do before the ball arrives and smith is doing a lot of that decision making once the ball arrives. Weber may not stand out as an individual as much as smith can but you cant underestimate the overall impact of that faster ball over a few phases it can mean the difference between a devense on their back foot or a defense up in your face forcing a kick or mistake.
I think its a combination thing as well, smith is more of that playmaker role at 9 where weber is more a distributor. Smith may work better with first fives like Richie or Cruden who are less involved phase to phase and wait for a chance to exploit a vulnerability while Beauden, DC and DMac like to be involved as often as they can and be the primary playmaker and really value that quick ball. It's pretty fundamental to how an attack operates, I know I personally prefer seeing genuine fast ball from the 9 and the majority of the play being directed by first receiver. I hope we see it in this game.

Ardie Savea is great at 7 & 8, he has really explosive power off the back of the scrum & with his leg drive can consistently break tackles to get us over the advantage line... it's a worry though having Papalii at 7, he's better suited to 6, we need an openside that's much quicker than him who is able to got to the loose ball quickly & has the pace to link up with the forwards, just suits the ABs fast paced game that we have played for ages.

Bower is a bit lucky to be starting when we have better props on the bench.

Rieko Ioane definitely isn't a midfielder, keeps getting caught out of position there, he's back on the wing where he should be playing, him and Jordan give us a ton of gas on the flanks... good to see J.Barrett at fullback too.

All midfieders should have good passing skills & read situations well, but they're all very similar types of players, need more variation on attack there, we're really missing an intimidating power runner in the midfield like Laumape, thought it was crazy they didn't want him in the squad.

Mo'unga is clearly our best 10, he shows much better composure than B.Barrett in that position... BB tends to kick too aimlessly in general play & has given away a fair few intercept tries through lack of thought.

Glad Aaron Smith isn't playing, getting sick & tired of him way overdoing those bloody box kicks, therefore most of the time he's giving away possession... needs to mix his game up much more with darting runs around the rucks & grubbers etc.
We have 3 very good halfbacks, hopefully in this match Weber & Perenara vary their tactics much more than Smith does in general... constantly vary your tactics & you keep the defence guessing.

Ardie Savea is great at 7 & 8, he has really explosive power off the back of the scrum & with his leg drive can consistently break tackles to get us over the advantage line... it's a worry though having Papalii at 7, he's better suited to 6, we need an openside that's much quicker than him who is able to got to the loose ball quickly & has the pace to link up with the forwards, just suits the ABs fast paced game that we have played for ages.

Bower is a bit lucky to be starting when we have better props on the bench.

Rieko Ioane definitely isn't a midfielder, keeps getting caught out of position there, he's back on the wing where he should be playing, him and Jordan give us a ton of gas on the flanks... good to see J.Barrett at fullback too.

All midfieders should have good passing skills & read situations well, but they're all very similar types of players, need more variation on attack there, we're really missing an intimidating power runner in the midfield like Laumape, thought it was crazy they didn't want him in the squad.

Mo'unga is clearly our best 10, he shows much better composure than B.Barrett in that position... BB tends to kick too aimlessly in general play & has given away a fair few intercept tries through lack of thought.

I disagree on most parts. I think Papalii is almost a perfect foil for when Savea is at 8. Savea is a small 8 heck as atheletic as he is on the greater scheme of things he is a small loose forward and hes also not an elite defender like Cane is - Savea's focus is more on his ball carrying. Papalii is a bigger 7 who does have a more defensive focus. its a good balance to the pack with Cane out injured.

I like bower as a prospect, as far as props go it doesn't matter if they are starting or on the bench they are pretty much all equally critical. Looking at the balance of the front row I think its less about the best props start and more about who is the better option at various times in the game. IMO I think bower's starting has been more to do with his workload and intensity on defense. The all blacks are famously slow starters and tend to lose games when teams get ahead of us early and get just a bit too far ahead for us to chase run them down. I think he can be valuable to couter oposition forward packs looking to get through the advantage line in the first quater.

I agree Ioane is still a much better winger than midfielder, he has improved but if the WC was in the next year IMO he would not be ready. He has a lot to add as a ball carrier but has work to do as a defender and distributor.

One thing you are missing in your midfield argument is that first and foremost defense is critical and its also the primary reason Laumape never locked down an all black spot. His volume of work and accuracy on defense was always below the other contenders. With Crotty's exit we are left with one elite level midfield defender in ALB. The others need to lift their game.

I dont think Richie is clearly our best 10, he's had the position pretty much to himself this year and he's been able to build more consistency than we have seen from him in the past but then we haven't really played anyone. we have not seen him perform against anyone other than Aussie. not his fault, its covid's fault. While barrett has won a WC, proved himself against everyone and is a 2x IRB player of the year. The only real argument with BB is that his goal kicking has cost us a couple of games over the past few years. Going into the next WC he needs to fix that or simply be removed from kicking duty. Richie and DMac are kicking brilliantly. you can't say "Mo'unga is clearly our best 10" when he's the only one who's had a go and this comming game will be BB's first real chance to show where he is currently at.

What did everyone think of the Red? And is it 20min sin bin now :O?! What..

Latest posts