• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 2: South Africa V Argentina (21/08/2021)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
View attachment 11972View attachment 11973View attachment 11974

Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, South Africa
17:05 (GMT +2)

Karl Dickson (England) referee
Marius van der Westhuizen and AJ Jacobs (South Africa)assistant referees
Tom Foley (Wales) Television Match Official​

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Marvin Orie, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Trevor Nyakane

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Nicolaas van Rensburg, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Dan du Preez, 22 Jaden Hendrikse, 23 Damian Willemse

Argentina

TBA

Close to full strength for SA bar injury to De Klerk and Jantjies at 9 and in the loose forwards Vermeulen and PSdT. Elsewise the pack is on a rotation policy. Also, still no RG Snyman but it will be interesting to see NJvR off the bench. From what I've garnered off of Youtube highlights he looks a handy lock. Last chance for Orie IMO. Also, strange to see TdT get a shot but considering Nyakane might be called up to loose head on a semi regular basis probably good to develop that depth but... surely Malherbe, Koch and Louw are enough given Nyakane is also right up there at tighthead? Oh, well. Also, I'm liking the 6/2 bench everything considered. Would've prefered Malherbe starting with Du Toit off the bench.. Still no Marcel Coetzee with Smith retaining his bench spot. I know Van Staden is injured but Coetzee also?

My feeling is I don't think the boks management think as highly of Coetzee as the public.

I'm a big fan of Rensburg.

My feeling is I don't think the boks management think as highly of Coetzee as the public.

I'm a big fan of Rensburg.
That seems to be the case. The one game I did see Coetzee play he was dismal- that final vs Benetton. Havn't seen him since so it might be lack of form, might simply be unavailable or as you say, he might just not be rated that highly. Which is a shame IMO as I do want players returning to SA sides to get the benefit of the doubt if they are on a par with overseas-based players simply because I want our provincial sides to be somewhat competitive so I want our journeymen to return to form the backbone of our teams. As is there are always exciting up and comers but you don't want your entire team made up of inexperienced players and need depth.

Good to hear regarding NJvR- hopefully he gets some time off the bench so I can see him in action apart from highlights reels.

SA injury update as far as I know:
RG Snyman - ?
Franco Mostert - short term
Marco Van Staaden - short term
Duane Vermeulen - pending successful fitness test
PSdT - long term, probably out for season
Hershel Jantjies - short term
Faf de Klerk - ?

Last edited:
Marcell is over his prime, injury-prone and just after a WC and Lions series it is time for fresh blood - Evan Roos, Edrich Low, du Preez's their time to come in and shine

I have a lot for time for those boys. I just wonder how many of them will make the step up. I suppose if someone like Wiese and Nicolaas JvR can come into the Bok fold out of the blue its not unimaginable. Still a ways short of Vermeulen are the likes of Wiese, Roos and Louw. But they are young. You can add Jaco Coetzee and maybe even JJ Van der Mescht into the mix if we are talking big ball carriers. Hell, with the way Jake White is moving Jan-Hendrik Wessels across the pack he might end up at 8. A couple of those boys are HEAVY. I hope we put a pack into the field just for size just for fun one of these days. I have this obsessions with a "1 ton scrum". Coming in at 1017kgs: 1 TdT, 2 JH Wessels, 3 W Louw, 4 L Roets, 5 L De Jager, 6 Vermeulen, 7 PSdT, 8 Van der Mescht.

I get where you are coming from with the exclusion of Coetzee but to me that still doesn't make sense when you look at the inclusion of Kwagga Smith. We were short on experience with Vermeulen and PSdT out and FLouw retired. Coetzee just made sense. Him and then 1 or 2 of the promising youngsters.

If you follow the local CC you would notice he was first injured, then had Covid, he is only recently back and being outplayed by the other loosies in the BB team. Yes, he has the experience and is still a damn fine player. Just not on the Springbok radar it seems. Much like Arno Botha, both were excellent in Europe, pretty average here on the harder speedier fields

If you follow the local CC you would notice he was first injured, then had Covid, he is only recently back and being outplayed by the other loosies in the BB team. Yes, he has the experience and is still a damn fine player. Just not on the Springbok radar it seems. Much like Arno Botha, both were excellent in Europe, pretty average here on the harder speedier fields
Arno Botha was ok here, nothing more. Coetzee was top class when he played but I definitely not worth the salary averaging less than 15 games a season.

Yeah would not call Arno excellent. Pretty useful squad player, and had a really good attitude, but not too much more. Coetzee a very good player, but injury prone as hell and in hindsight not a great signing.

Thanks for the info on Arno, always better to get it from people that seen players in action, the media seems to overhype more often than not.
I see Evan Roos again played like a beast for WP this past week, just a matter of time before he is called up.

Coaches don't tend to be that quick to rush in 20 years into the international setup though.
I could see Roos and Louie getting the odd cap here but reckon they won't be planned till after the RWC.

I have a lot of time for a player like Roos but TBF he is still very young and Currie Cup as is shouldn't be the measuring stick for a Springbok call up IMO. We'll see how he goes in the Pro16 in due time. He realistically should also only be required post 2023 when I expect Vermeulen would retire and probably then even won't come straight into the matchday 23 but rather more extended squad doing duty only in case of injury.

@Cruz_del_Sur how is Diaz Bonilla doing? Whats his form like? Whats his long term class like. Cant remember too much from his Jaguares days. Can he be a new Juan Martin Hernadez for us? Is he past his best?

Rumour is that his signing might drive Curwin Bosch out of the squad.

Thanks for the info on Arno, always better to get it from people that seen players in action, the media seems to overhype more often than not.
I see Evan Roos again played like a beast for WP this past week, just a matter of time before he is called up.
feels like yesterday I was watching him play high school. I'll feel so washed if he's in a senior boks jersey

Despite arguably fielding a stronger team I think this game is going to be closer. I'll still back us for a decent win of 8.

This is painfully boring, and I say that as someone who has struggled through every minute of England rugby since EJ threw out the attacking game plan book so knows what boring is

@Cruz_del_Sur how is Diaz Bonilla doing? Whats his form like? Whats his long term class like. Cant remember too much from his Jaguares days. Can he be a new Juan Martin Hernadez for us? Is he past his best?

Rumour is that his signing might drive Curwin Bosch out of the squad.

Was at Tigers last season.
Didn't get many chances failed to really impress in them.

Latest posts