• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 4 Australia v South Africa (18/9/2021)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
1631689057978.png1631689065709.png1631689087925.png

18 September 2021 | 09:05 (CAT)
Suncorp Stadium

Australia
15 Tom Banks, 14 Andrew Kellaway, 13 Len Ikitau, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Marika Koroibete, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Nic White, 8 Rob Valetini, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Lachlan Swinton, 5 Matt Philip, 4 Izack Rodda, 3 Taniela Tupou, 2 Folau Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper

Substitutes: 16 Feleti Kaitu'u, 17 Angus Bell, 18 Tom Robertson, 19 Darcy Swain, 20 Pete Samu, 21 Tate McDermott, 22 Reece Hodge, 23 Jordan Petaia

South Africa
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Trevor Nyakane

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Marco van Staden, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Jasper Wiese, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Damian Willemse

Last edited:
Looking forward to South Africas response after coming off a loss.

The Boks really should win this week but Suncorp is not their favourite ground. The Wallabies have a great record there as well. I'm going to say SA by 3 but with absolutely no confidence. It could go either way. Just think that when the Springboks are up against it they really come out firing.

i enjoyed last weeks game and so cant help but look forward to this one. The aussies with a little more confidence and the boks looking to come back strong

The Boks really should win this week but Suncorp is not their favourite ground. The Wallabies have a great record there as well. I'm going to say SA by 3 but with absolutely no confidence. It could go either way. Just think that when the Springboks are up against it they really come out firing.
Yeah, the Boks will probably win a tight one... expecting them to execute their lineout, scrums & mauls more accurately this week, also hope to see them vary play & use their backs more.

We outscored them three tries to one last game. We just need more of the same with one change. BE MORE CLINICAL. Nail our kicks then we are fine.

Silly penalties given also and our boys fell off way too many tackles. Probably easier said than done. I expect that if Kerevi was running into me I'd also not be able to keep a hold. Willemse made an amazing try saving tackle where he should never have been in that position. Pollard to be closer to 80% than 50% at goal would also help.

For me it all comes down to intensity and focus. It just wasn't there. We paid the price and I hope, no I expect there is enough pride there that there will be no complacency or lack of fire this week.

We outscored them three tries to one last game. We just need more of the same with one change. BE MORE CLINICAL. Nail our kicks then we are fine.
I think this is quite misleading. Yes, you scored more tries. But it was through the maul, which was your only point of attack. Australia actually made far more line breaks and offloads. We just took the points as soon as we got into your half, which happened regularly, because you infringed under pressure. I think if Australia attack as effectively we will probably win again - even if you score more tries via the maul.

There is a lot of talk about the Springbok discipline but the Wallabies conceded 17 penalties. 6 more than SA. If they tighten that up they really restrict the Bok's access to their only attacking weapon.

Having said that, i thought the Springboks were already tightening up and turning the screws by the second half. I expect they have already shaken off the rustiness of that first half and will squeeze us out of the next match quite comfortably.

If the Wallabies can get an early lead of more than a try they'll be right in it. Bok won't like chasing the game with their game plan. Big if though.

The thing i was most proud of was that the Wallabies really brought the physicality and matched the Boks upfront. I thought our scrum had ascendancy (just) but obviously got dusted up in the maul. If we lose but we muscle up again and keep it close i'll be happy.

For what it's worth i think Springbok v Wallabies is the real rivalry of the Championship. Contrasting styles, regularly produce close games and an even record. The talk of the AB v Springbok rivalry is nonsense. There's no one even close to the ABs and the stats reflect this (4 wins for Aus (with more games), 2 for SA, 1 for Arg in 11 years?).

Last edited:
For what it's worth i think Springbok v Wallabies is the real rivalry of the Championship. Contrasting styles, regularly produce close games and an even record. The talk of the AB v Springbok rivalry is nonsense. There's no one even close to the ABs and the stats reflect this (4 wins for Aus (with more games), 2 for SA, 1 for Arg in 11 years?).

It's pretty clear that the Boks are the main rivals for the ABs, only have to look at the whole history of the game.

Last edited:
This is THE game today (though the AB/Argie game will also be interesting because of the adjusted lineups).

I actually think the Wallabies played within themselves last week and are yet to show that self belief and confidence to match their impressive systems. They will be going out to nail their chances this week as they have yet to really do it in the last 4 tests. South Africa though will be bringing a wave pf physical dominance and will be wanting to swarm the Aussie attack into mistakes. Whoever achieves their objectives will be the winner.

Rugby is broken at the moment. Vermeulan nearly milked nothing into a red?! How was it even yellow? shoulder to shoulder and he had a wrapping arm.

Will SA lose the number one spot if they lose this?
There's a bit of daylight between SA and Aus, in the rankings, so there must be a big points change

Can someone tell me why SA are allowed a 5 minute smoko before every scrum?

Rugby is broken at the moment. Vermeulan nearly milked nothing into a red?! How was it even yellow? shoulder to shoulder and he had a wrapping arm.
He left the field concussed. How was it a yellow? Please.

Just seen the non-red
Whilst, IMO, a collision like that isn't a red,
By the rules, and the way that it's been refereed for the last two seasons, that's a red, clear as day
The Boks can feel hard done by (as can Argentina as they got a red for a very similar incident against Wales)

saw the replay, faf did nothing wrong.
Wallabies killing themselves with penalties (and boks scrum dominating), otherwise they look the more organised and more desperate team.

mostert showing that he is not a loose forward. Maybe against the lions based on the style of play in that series, but not against the wallabies or all blacks. Expect an actual loose forward next week.

sone of the boks defence has been awful

Latest posts