• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 6 South Africa v New Zealand (02/10/2021)

Disagree... it's the mindset of this current coaching staff wanting them to play such a restricted type of attacking game.
exactly, and they say that themselves...and have done for years....and years

i guess that the thing, the Bokke believe in the idea what this game plan got them within two point of the AB's....and ignore the idea that that game plan literally lost them the game, were in front and had the ball...and bombed it...2 or 3 times, didn;t even ban it into a corner or something, it mad
Yeah, the Boks best chance of beating the ABs is varying their tactics, get predictable & you're much easier to defend against - ABs wins more matches than any of the other teams because they play in a positive manner, so score more tries than the rest... would rather go up by 7points at a time, than 3points at a time :)

Yeah, the Boks best chance of beating the ABs is varying their tactics, get predictable & you're much easier to defend against - ABs wins more matches than any of the other teams because they play in a positive manner, so score more tries than the rest... would rather go up by 7points at a time, than 3points at a time :)
in saying that, they came very close on the weekend and only really lost because they kept kicking in the dying minutes

The spectator in me would like to see more running rugby, but i think theyre best best to just win is to do what theyve been doing better, lots of their kicks were not good

in saying that, they came very close on the weekend and only really lost because they kept kicking in the dying minutes

The spectator in me would like to see more running rugby, but i think theyre best best to just win is to do what theyve been doing better, lots of their kicks were not good
Yeah, they were very close, I'm amazed they lost though - that was only the case because they were so negative on attack... even if the Boks execute their up & unders far more accurately in this 2nd one their chances of getting the ball back are still only 50/50, probably less than that as the opposition players have the advantage of running towards the ball, can't see us dropping it so much again in the air, ABs just need to time their jump better, keep the eyes on the ball & attack it positively in the air, just do the basics well.

ABs just need to time their jump better, keep the eyes on the ball & attack it positively in the air, just do the basics well.
We seem to have this game plan of the fullback will be the one taking the high ball even if the winger is there...so Jordie comes running in at a million miles an hour to get there to jump. Sometimes I think its better to have the winger who is already there take it. When Dmac was on at fullback Jordie who was now at wing would wait for Dmac to come running in from miles away. Seems to be a pretty hard catch tp take at full speed.

We seem to have this game plan of the fullback will be the one taking the high ball even if the winger is there...so Jordie comes running in at a million miles an hour to get there to jump. Sometimes I think its better to have the winger who is already there take it. When Dmac was on at fullback Jordie who was now at wing would wait for Dmac to come running in from miles away. Seems to be a pretty hard catch tp take at full speed.
at least in the last game, that was largely because bridge was having such a shocker, the one he dropped leading to the try was pretty central and he came back for it, i can only imagine the original idea was winger take the ball and offload to Jordie so he can clear....they then had to come up with a plan B

Slightly interesting selections. Can bower handle Koch? I'm not surprised lienert brown is starting, but rieko who has barely played wing in two years is expected to handle the aerial bombardment? And then Reece starting as well. I can't honestly remember how jordan was under the high ball last week. Maybe Reece is a safer bet.

not surprised that Blackadder has been chosen on the reserves, in retrospect I should have guessed that. but I don't really rate him as a reserve, seems better as a starter due to his work rate. I know he has played different positions, but that you can cover that from starting. I'm also not saying he should be starting, would actually rather go with what they selected to start with sotutu on the bench for impact.
I'll be watching how akira plays, he's going to be important, needs to get physical.

hard to say how this will go, you'd hope we will improve, but who is going to have the greatest desire in this test? And how will we handle the scrum and lineout? You'd think we might have thought up some new ideas in the lineout, but not sure in the scrum. To me the boks have improved their starting scrum and we have got worse in our reserve scrum.

Rieko played 11 against aussie and looked very good, remember lots of chat about how he was still a better winger than midfielder so definitely not worried about that

I thought Jordan played ok but have seen lots of chat about having a bad one and only being overshadowed by bridges shocker, not going to rewatch to check though

Rieko played 11 against aussie and looked very good, remember lots of chat about how he was still a better winger than midfielder so definitely not worried about that

I thought Jordan played ok but have seen lots of chat about having a bad one and only being overshadowed by bridges shocker, not going to rewatch to check though
I'm specifically concerned about rieko under the high ball, that he might be out of practice. The wallabies hardly gave him much practice.

I'm specifically concerned about rieko under the high ball, that he might be out of practice. The wallabies hardly gave him much practice.
They might take a similar approach to last week plan b, Jordie takes the high ball and feeds rieko, it's super obvious SA isn't going to change so I'm sure they have a plan

A nice/funny comment from Stuff's forums:

"It's always interesting Foster's selection logic. Let me try to unpack this.
Jordan - you've been in form, but have one mixed game. Possibly guilty of trying too hard. You're dropped.
Akira - you had a shocker, guilty of not trying hard enough, you're in!
Sevu - you were too short last week. You're in!
Damian - you're short also and dropped a ton of ball last week - but I'm your fan boy, you're in! Plus we can never have too many full backs.
Tupaea - you made a great impact, and won us the game. You're dropped!
Blackadder - you we're our best forward and tried really hard. You're dropped to the bench!
Moody - you made one tackle and one run, top contribution. You're in
!"

:)

Yeah, silly to come charging in when it's far more important to slow down a bit so you can get yourself in the best position to time your jump - as you say whoever is in the best position should be the one to attack the ball in the air, whether that's a fullback or winger etc... J. Barrett is 6' 5'' but it's definitely not just about how tall a player is, it's how good a players technique is under the high ball, Cory Jane was a pretty short bloke, but he would have to be one of the very best ever in the air, also one of the best thinking backs the ABs have had.

A nice/funny comment from Stuff's forums:

"It's always interesting Foster's selection logic. Let me try to unpack this.
Jordan - you've been in form, but have one mixed game. Possibly guilty of trying too hard. You're dropped.
Akira - you had a shocker, guilty of not trying hard enough, you're in!
Sevu - you were too short last week. You're in!
Damian - you're short also and dropped a ton of ball last week - but I'm your fan boy, you're in! Plus we can never have too many full backs.
Tupaea - you made a great impact, and won us the game. You're dropped!
Blackadder - you we're our best forward and tried really hard. You're dropped to the bench!
Moody - you made one tackle and one run, top contribution. You're in
!"

:)
Just goes to show how you can find any explanation to support your predetermined beliefs. Anyone who thinks we should drop moody against the springboks is a complete moron.

Just goes to show how you can find any explanation to support your predetermined beliefs. Anyone who thinks we should drop moody against the springboks is a complete moron.
come on man, he literally says is just supposed to be funny

come on man, he literally says is just supposed to be funny
Hey I'm not criticizing Alex, sorry. And yes it was funny. And there is some truth to some of it. But also it is a good demonstration of how stupid some of the criticisms of coaches can get; I mean I couldn't have come up with a better satirical imitation of an anti foster confirmation bias if I tried.

Last edited:
Foster continues to show his lack of insight as head coach - doesn't have any thoughts of his own, he's just copying what Hansen did in that last year or so going into the last RWC, which obviously didn't work anyway... as long as a player doesn't have a massive work load they should be selected on merit, it's not a good idea to change too many players per game.

I would've started Mo'unga in this match - our forwards certainly need to give our backs a much better platform this week... the lineout was very sloppy in the first Boks match, have to execute there much better.

Foster continues to show his lack of insight as head coach - doesn't have any thoughts of his own, he's just copying what Hansen did in that last year or so going into the last RWC, which obviously didn't work anyway... as long as a player doesn't have a massive work load they should be selected on merit, it's not a good idea to change too many players per game.

I would've started Mo'unga in this match - our forwards certainly need to give our backs a much better platform this week... the lineout was very sloppy in the first Boks match, have to execute there much better.
So, given he hasn't changed a lot of players you must be happy with his selections? Jacobson was supposed to start last week, Lienert brown is the incumbent but was injured. So the only real changes are to bring bower into the reserves, Reece in (he's been the consistently in form winger this year), and mounga into reserves ( who you want there, although you'd rather he started), and aumua to the bench because we struggled in the lineout and taukeiaho was the worst lineout thrower in super rugby.

And are you suggesting he is a bad coach for not selecting mounga? I mean you must realise that 95 per cent of professional coaches wouldn't have started mounga in this game right?

Last edited:
Irrespective of the quoted comment above, some of the selector's decisions seem questionable to me.

For instance, I see no point in having DMac on the bench instead of Tupaea, as bringing him in later in the game would only mean that he would play 14 (why?) or fullback, while moving Jordie to the right wing again (why ?).

Furthermore, I should have given the start to Blackadder at 6, as last week Akira was the invisible man.

Mo'unga not starting was actually a good call from Foster. He's been in isolation for the past two weeks, he's probably not trained as good or hard as the rest of the squad, there was really no need to push him in the starting block.

Irrespective of the quoted comment above, some of the selector's decisions seem questionable to me.

For instance, I see no point in having DMac on the bench instead of Tupaea, as bringing him in later in the game would only mean that he would play 14 (why?) or fullback, while moving Jordie to the right wing again (why ?).

Furthermore, I should have given the start to Blackadder at 6, as last week Akira was the invisible man.

Mo'unga not starting was actually a good call from Foster. He's been in isolation for the past two weeks, he's probably not trained as good or hard as the rest of the squad, there was really no need to push him in the starting block.
i agree i wouldn't have both dmac and richie on the bench, too similar

I'm happy AI is getting the chance to shake off a bad week

Latest posts